Sun
Oct 2nd
Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Kontradiction

Has a structured settlement and he needs cash now
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
2021 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
Usman got sloppy at the end of that fight. Otherwise, he was 100% winning that fight. Hope he gets a rematch soon as he’s going to be leaving his prime soon.

BB8XSBW

Practice Squad Player
I was happy for Edwards until he started talking. No British person should ever speak out loud around other non-brits. Dude got lucky and was talking about the trenches. We'll see how long he defends the strap. Great win and mental toughness but let's be real. He got lucky.

Never stop moving. Level changes, head movement. Boxing, MMA, we the sport it always creeps up no matter how great you are and Usman is a top 10-15 all time UFC fighter.

That wasn't luck. Leon and his team drilled that exact kick in training, because they saw a weakness in Usman's game on film.

Ever since Usman has moved to Denver to train with Trevor Whitman, his game has become very boxing heavy. The way he slipped that right hand of Leon's is perfect boxing technique, but slipping a punch to the point of leaning so heavily inside is a great way to get your head kicked off your shoulders in MMA. Colby Covington nearly got Usman with that exact same kick, too.

Kontradiction

PatsFans.com Supporter
That wasn't luck. Leon and his team drilled that exact kick in training, because they saw a weakness in Usman's game on film.

Ever since Usman has moved to Denver to train with Trevor Whitman, his game has become very boxing heavy. The way he slipped that right hand of Leon's is perfect boxing technique, but slipping a punch to the point of leaning so heavily inside is a great way to get your head kicked off your shoulders in MMA. Colby Covington nearly got Usman with that exact same kick, too.

Who wins in a rematch - Conor or Floyd?

BaconGrundleCandy

Not the kind of guy to say I told you so ...
PatsFans.com Supporter

Yea I saw that and there were people in fighters row yelling hook / head kick. He actually did a good job setting it up but he was 100% lucky. I'm not sure you're understanding what I'm trying to get across. I'm sure he trained for that and other stuff he can use. The same way Curry practices halfcourt shots or Luka practices off balance shots. The same way Connor was envisioning KO'g Aldo. They wanted to be prepared for everything. I get that.

Edwards was dominated for 85% of their two fights though and won bc Usman got lazy in the last minute of the last round.

I like the shake up and think it's good for the sport right now but he got lucky.

I'll be very interested to see how Usman comes back. Again he won almost 90% of the rounds in those fights but sometimes you're never the same after taken a shot like that.

I remember that CC kick you're talking and 100% agree about Usman becoming boxing dependent. He actually would get murdered if he tried some of the stuff he did against Edwards against a top tier boxer. He was advertising body shots that would get him in trouble vs another fighter.

Lot of respect for Edwards but he got lucky. Let's see how long he defends the strap.

BaconGrundleCandy

PatsFans.com Supporter
Who wins in a rematch - Conor or Floyd?
I actually think Conor does a lot better if they square up again. Flloyd's legs aren't the same. I actually wouldn't mind seeing that as opposed to the first time.

All these veterans need to just fight each. It's clear once you hit a certain age or peak some of these guys just can't hang with the young guys. UFC boxing it's tough. I think Conors best days are far behind him.

Kontradiction

PatsFans.com Supporter
I actually think Conor does a lot better if they square up again. Flloyd's legs aren't the same. I actually wouldn't mind seeing that as opposed to the first time.

All these veterans need to just fight each. It's clear once you hit a certain age or peak some of these guys just can't hang with the young guys. UFC boxing it's tough. I think Conors best days are far behind him.
Just wait until Floyd blows all of his money again. Round 2 may just happen.

BB8XSBW

Practice Squad Player
Yea I saw that and there were people in fighters row yelling hook / head kick. He actually did a good job setting it up but he was 100% lucky. I'm not sure you're understanding what I'm trying to get across. I'm sure he trained for that and other stuff he can use. The same way Curry practices halfcourt shots or Luka practices off balance shots. The same way Connor was envisioning KO'g Aldo. They wanted to be prepared for everything. I get that.

Edwards was dominated for 85% of their two fights though and won bc Usman got lazy in the last minute of the last round.

I like the shake up and think it's good for the sport right now but he got lucky.

I'll be very interested to see how Usman comes back. Again he won almost 90% of the rounds in those fights but sometimes you're never the same after taken a shot like that.

I remember that CC kick you're talking and 100% agree about Usman becoming boxing dependent. He actually would get murdered if he tried some of the stuff he did against Edwards against a top tier boxer. He was advertising body shots that would get him in trouble vs another fighter.

Lot of respect for Edwards but he got lucky. Let's see how long he defends the strap.

I still wouldn't classify that as lucky.

Edwards is undoubtedly the more well rounded fighter. He has more tools with which he can win a fight, and is more dangerous. We saw it in the first round, where in only 3 minutes of control on the ground, he came much closer to securing a finish than Usman did in 10 minutes of total control time. Then we saw it on the feet in round 5.

Usman got a bit overconfident and fell in love with his boxing a bit too much at the end because he thought he had broken Edwards, and Edwards exploited a tendency in Usman's game.

"Lucky" would be Curtis Blaydes getting a W over Tom Aspinall because Aspinall tore his knee in 15 seconds.

BaconGrundleCandy

PatsFans.com Supporter
Just wait until Floyd blows all of his money again. Round 2 may just happen.
I really, genuinely don't think Conor wants to compete full-time anymore in the UFC. Again once you hit a a certain # of fights or age it's just really tough to compete against the best of the best every fight. But yea I think it's happening. These guys are perfect for each other. Conor thinks he's a boxer and Flloyd has no one left to fight thats relevant.

BB8XSBW

Practice Squad Player
Surprised at the odds for the main event. Not that Khamzat is favored, but by how much.

His cardio and striking defense looked horrid against Burns in a 3 rounder. Now he will be in there for 5 rounds against a good boxer with superb cardio.

Khamzat will need to lean heavily on his wrestling, in which case he could cruise to a fairly easy victory, but based on what I saw in his previous fight, I'm not sure if he has the fight IQ or discipline to do so and to stay away from a brawl.

Edit: Nevermind. I was out of the loop, but just saw that Khamzat weighed in 8 lbs over the limit, so he's out. UFC working towards Diaz vs Ferguson now. I was right about Khamzat's IQ, though. The guy is a dumb motherf***er with no discipline. Diaz vs Ferguson should be a good fight, though.

Last edited:

BaconGrundleCandy

PatsFans.com Supporter
Well Canelo won again against an aging GGG. Boxing needs to shake things up
Yea kinda expected. I love GGG! He's a warrior but his last few fights were telling. What a warrior though.

Also Canelo is an all time great. That's been obvious for a while now but he's unbelievable. The way he's improved on his footwork, head movement and overall defense is remarkable for a guy that was punching through walls early on in his career. You put him and Floyd against each other in their primes and that's a much different fight.
If I'm Canelo I'm doing a few things.

1)take the rest of the year off and maintain when it comes to training. He's fought a ton and had some scraps recently. Made a ton so he can afford to shut it down for a few months.
2)Bivol in early 23. Bivol fought a great fight but not perfect and Saul is more than capable of beating him. If he does ...
3)Benavidez. He should have fought him by now. Not many you can say about when it comes to Canelo but this one needs to happen. If it does and he wins he should retire and fight Jake Paul, Nate Diaz guys like that for a 60 70 million.

BaconGrundleCandy

PatsFans.com Supporter
Great UFC fight too. Song is a beast !!! That whole division is bonkers. Loving this mini tournament. 280 looking juicy.