Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Do you want Meriweather back on the team next year?

• Yes

Votes: 65 48.5%
  • No

Votes: 35 26.1%
  • Not sure

Votes: 34 25.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
I threw this out there earlier while we were waiting and got some interesting responses, so I thought I'd do the same here - albeit a little differently along with a poll.

Heard them talking about him on the radio and apparently reporters that talked to him in the locker room as players were packing up said that he sounded like he knows he may not be coming back (he was very sullen, etc and sounded like there was some finality in his voice)

After everything that happened this season, what are your thoughts and do you want him back?

Last edited:
I would like him back, he is a good young talent.

He's pretty much the only guy on this defense that opposing players have any reason to fear, so definitely.

I'm assuming these "Pro Bowls" have inflated his ego to quite a bit more than the $2-3 million dollars/year he's worth. And if so, goodbye and good luck Brandon.

I'm assuming these "Pro Bowls" have inflated his ego to quite a bit more than the $2-3 million dollars/year he's worth. And if so, goodbye and good luck Brandon.

So you think he's worth about as much as James Sanders? I'm as big a Sanders fan as anyone, but Meriweather's better. Unless you think Sanders is overpaid in the first place, but after the year he had this year, I don't see many people sticking with that argument.

His base salary next year is $650K with escalators, etc, that could take it somewhat higher but he's really cheap. He'll be back unless we trade him in lieu of losing him for nothing this time next year.

His price is right. Still needs to learn how to wrap up instead of trying to make the big hit.

His price is right. Still needs to learn how to wrap up instead of trying to make the big hit.

That TD to Edwards was disappointing...

I'd sign Meriweather if the price was right; otherwise he is expendable.

There are too many variables involving the CBA to know for sure. If I understand correctly, right now no teams can trade players for picks. So he's here unless we outright cut him, which I don't see.

Assuming (and with these twits, it's a pretty big assumption) that the CBA gets worked out BEFORE the draft and things go back to relative normalcy:

I'd explore a trade, just to see what people would be willing to pay. And I would draft a replacement just in case. But, at the end of the day he will most likely be the starting SS on the 2011 Patriots. And we'll have to see what happens...will he FINALLY turn the corner we thought he would this year? Or will he be his maddeningly inconsistent self?

I was most likely a bit harsher on Meriweather Sunday night than I should have been, but it was a rough night. Unfortunatley, whenever I see Meriweather (which is everyday, since he is the picture for January on the Patriots calander) I just see him getting dragged into the endzone by Braylon Edwards while McCourty was trying to punch the ball out. And it leaves an awful taste in the mouth.

The draft is kinda weak past the first round.

Doubters abound, but Meriweather unquestionably makes an impact - The Boston Globe

SMY has a puff piece on him today.
“Everyone knows what he’s capable of,’’ said Sanders. “He goes out there and makes plays, and a lot of teams don’t even try to throw it his way because they know what can possibly happen if he gets a good bead on the ball.

“He’s been playing the same way for the last three years, making plays and playing at a high level for us. That’s what we continue to need going forward.’’

And it isn’t just his teammates who come to his defense.

“I like him,’’ said an NFL personnel executive whose duties include studying the Patriots. “He plays hard, he flies around.

“He’s got range and he’s got some ball skills. I’d like to have him on my team.’’

and also
... he has not had one off-field problem in New England.

He quickly attached himself to Rodney Harrison, and now spends much of his time with respected veteran James Sanders. They are in the film room nearly every day at 7:30 a.m. and sometimes put in more work together at night.

(Um, of which Patriots is something similar NOT true?)

This, good cover skills, just get him to learn how to wrap up receivers and running backs and he'll be better next year.

So you think he's worth about as much as James Sanders? I'm as big a Sanders fan as anyone, but Meriweather's better. Unless you think Sanders is overpaid in the first place, but after the year he had this year, I don't see many people sticking with that argument.

I don't disagree with you but just looking at their stats from this season on paper they look almost identical. It would be interesting to know how many plays each were in over the season.

Meriweather
Brandon Meriweather Profile - New England Patriots - ESPN

Sanders
James Sanders Profile - New England Patriots - ESPN

He's a knucklehead who's not getting any better. Makes big hits on small plays but never makes a play that changes the game....for the better.
He's addition by subtraction for this D. Let him go.

Meriweather is signed through 2011. Unless Belichick told him that they plan to cut or trade him, I don't know why he would be acting like he isn't coming back. He has too much value to cut and there is no guarantee they can get a trade partner. Besides, Belichick wouldn't even let on that he planned to trade him until he had a contingency plan via the draft or free agency.

I don't disagree with you but just looking at their stats from this season on paper they look almost identical. It would be interesting to know how many plays each were in over the season.
FWIW, Meriweather was on the field for a lot more plays. When healthy and not being benched, he's usually right near the top for number of snaps each game for our defenders.

You can use this to say a) he should've made more plays if he's out there that much and Sanders stat-line was comparable) or b) BB obviously has confidence in him if he's putting him on the field that much.

I feel like he's the only player on the team that doesn't play by the mentality of "do your job." Too often, he's trying to do too much, and ends up failing miserably.

He's a knucklehead who's not getting any better. Makes big hits on small plays but never makes a play that changes the game....for the better.
He's addition by subtraction for this D. Let him go.

Seahawks strip sack to end game come to mind?

INT verse bills this year..and Colts. big plays to help us win because we barely won those games

I'm not sure with him. He's just never felt like a "Patriot" to me. Not sure what it is with him. I don't think BB is too crazy over him, considering how he benched him the first couple games of the year b/c he was doing his own thing or whatever, I don't know. He's definitely got the respect of other NFL players though since he's getting voted to the Pro Bowl by them. I'll leave this decision to the Hoodie.

Meriweather will be back and I want him back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots