PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCourty not retiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried my best not to think about 7 or winning about winning another SB but with Brady already already and DMac saying the pats are "Determined" to win 7 I'm already siked and drooling at the thought and already can't wait for 2019 off season to get this road to 7 going.

Would love to see an extension to free up some cap - plus, I think DMac has more than one great year left in him. He plays with his head and still runs like a deer.

Very good news for Patriots' Nation.

I was kinda down on him for not really having a ton of impact plays as of late, but he’s integral to this secondary, and his presence has a big impact.

Glad to see one more year, as it’s pretty frightening to think of a replacement for him.

Lower his cap number and lets get #7!

What’s the cap hit if they cut him? Because I’m fearful they will.

13 million and they save almost 10m if they cut him.

It's got restructure written all over it. McCourty saying this makes me think he and the team have already talked about how to move forward. note that he's particularly pointing to returning to the Patriots instead of retiring, not saying, "I know I've got a lot left to offer somebody."

I was kinda down on him for not really having a ton of impact plays as of late, but he’s integral to this secondary, and his presence has a big impact.

Glad to see one more year, as it’s pretty frightening to think of a replacement for him.

Lower his cap number and lets get #7!

His salary is NOT being cut. The team could sign an extension and lower his 2019 tax hit.

The direct answer to your question is that cutting McCourty would reduce the cap by about $9M (if the replaced him with a minimum salary rookie).

McCourty is well worth $9.5M, and the team will NOT cut him.

Man, I hope he restructures and help the team in other areas. He doesn't need the money. He's playing for legacy now. A lot of our players aren't playing for money anymore.

Now the issue becomes, what about his brother. I thought Jason was an excellent value last year and played better and better as the year went along, capping it off with an OUTSTANDING superbowl effort.

That being said, with Jackson, Jones, AND the highly regarded Dawson all coming back to go along with Gilmore, is there room at the in for another $3MM deal for Jason.

BTW- Hopefully the Pats will draft another young safety to go along with Obi because I'm finally giving up waiting for Nat Ebner to become an NFL caliber safety. ;)

Man, I hope he restructures and help the team in other areas. He doesn't need the money. He's playing for legacy now. A lot of our players aren't playing for money anymore.

Perhaps Brady should play for the vet minimum. After all, he does't need the money. Personally, I don't think that McCourty should voluntarily take a pay cut. McCourty should agree to an extension.

Almost every player on the team is playing below market, which is why this team is such an outlier. There are many players who could have held out who didn’t, or if they did it was kept private. In addition, playing for the Patriots almost always means less guarantees than other teams. This team is full of players who are paid well but definitely left something on the table to play for a winner.

Sorry, but I can only get on board this idea to a certain extent. The Patriots have a $175M payroll. That’s a lot of money and the team makes a lot of profit.

McCourty is well worth $9.5M, and the team will NOT cut him.

I agree. He is worth that and remains comically underrated by many people who watch this team every week and think that the Patriots rarely give up deep passes due to just scheme and coaching. McCourty is such a great player and leader it annoys me how much people take him for granted. Did you hear him b1tching and moaning when the team brought in Gilmore at $13M? I didn’t either. But there sure are a lot of other players around the league who would have held out and/or complained about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes