Pick Results: SF: 35.1% at NE: 64.9%
Sun
Oct 25th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

DarrylS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Lebanon is interesting particularly its intermixing of culture & food; Hummus, Tabouleh, Falfel and Shawarma.. all very tasty .

Hopefully this does not lead to another huge brouhaha in the ME....

rochrist

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
BBC saying it may have been a fireworks storage warehouse in the port.
I think it started with the fireworks place, you can see them in the early part of many of the videos. Then I think something else went up, either an LNG facility, or there was talk about amonium nitrate being store there. Either of those could produce the second explosion.

Dr Pain

In the Starting Line-Up
Look up the Halifax explosion from 1917. An ammunition ship blew up in the harbor. Most of the casualties were from glass. Boston sent a relief train with doctors, glass and glass workers. It was the first relief to get there and this is why Boston gets a Christmas tree from them every year. Almost 2,000 dead

Also in 1947 the Texas explosion where a fertilizer ship blew up
Over 500 dead there

scott99

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
There is a video of what sounds like fire crackers going off inside a building prior to the big one.

The massive blast is rumored to have destroyed nearby hospitals.

Rumors are Iranian missiles were stored near the fireworks warehouse.
That's like smoking at the gas pump.

denverpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
All those years of living under basically Iranian occupation. Sad but they reap what they sow.

Pape

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
nitrate fertilizer ... like mcveigh used in okc... set off by fireworks ... is very unstable... crystalized with a little h20, even more so...

the magnitude of that explosion is incredible... feel bad for those caught in its wake...

n6249c

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Initial estimate of magnitude is 3 kilotons. Roughly a quarter of the Hiroshima A-bomb.

XLIX

Pro Bowl Player
Initial estimate of magnitude is 3 kilotons. Roughly a quarter of the Hiroshima A-bomb.

I just don't buy it. I'll gladly admit I am wrong if it turns out I am wrong, but as horrible as the blast was, I don't see that as being a quarter of the Atomic Bomb from Hiroshima.

EDIT: An MIT professor gave an estimate which is roughly 1/60th the yield of Little Boy (who turns 75 on Thursday, by the way). A huge explosion, no doubt, and about 20 times more powerful than our own MOAB.... but not exactly 1/4th of an atomic weapon.

Last edited:

Dingleberry

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
All those years of living under basically Iranian occupation. Sad but they reap what they sow.

I get what you are saying. But as usual, the people doing the sowing are not the people who are doing the reaping.

I wonder how many of the thousands who died today were folks in power....if any.

n6249c

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
I just don't buy it. I'll gladly admit I am wrong if it turns out I am wrong, but as horrible as the blast was, I don't see that as being a quarter of the Atomic Bomb from Hiroshima.

EDIT: An MIT professor gave an estimate which is roughly 1/60th the yield of Little Boy (who turns 75 on Thursday, by the way). A huge explosion, no doubt, and about 20 times more powerful than our own MOAB.... but not exactly 1/4th of an atomic weapon.
I haven’t seen the math so can’t comment, can only repeat what others have said.

I did hear a report that the amount of ammonium nitrate stored there was in excess of 2500 tons, close to three thousand tons. Since a kiloton is the explosive force of one thousand tons of TNT, trinitrotoluene, a thousand tons of ammonium nitrate seems roughly in the same order of magnitude.

Seismic energy measured equivalent to a magnitude 3.3 earthquake. Surface explosions dissipate energy into the atmosphere so an actual earthquake would have measured much higher.

In any case, a pant load of energy was released in fractions of a second.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
That is a huge explosion......not an expert, but looks like a tactical suitcase nuke.....

(A) 2,700 tons of ammonium nitrate would be more than 1,000 times the amount used in the OKC bombing.

(B) A number of MilTwitter people whose opinions I trust noted that if it were a nuke, there should have been an EMP that knocked out the cell phones recording it.

NYCPATS4LIFE

In the Starting Line-Up
(A) 2,700 tons of ammonium nitrate would be more than 1,000 times the amount used in the OKC bombing.

(B) A number of MilTwitter people whose opinions I trust noted that if it were a nuke, there should have been an EMP that knocked out the cell phones recording it.

Reddish smoke spewed out from the blast which is consistent with ignited ammonium. Officials in lebanon have said they where was a ton of it.

JarOfMayo51

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
That is a huge explosion......not an expert, but looks like a tactical suitcase nuke.....

a suitcase nuke would be much brighter (practically blinding), and create a much different plume of smoke

Triumph

Hall of Fame Poster
Lets not start with politics although it was irresponsible for the potus to say this was a bomb which it wasn’t.

In 2018, the Israeli PM warned the United Nations that Iranian missiles were being stored in the exact location of yesterdays explosion. Google it. Furthermore, there are a few other videos on twitter of battlefield explosions identical to the Beirut blast with the mushroom air shockwave and burnt orange smoke.

I trust Israel 100% to know whats up. In 2012, Israel warmed the US and Great Britain to remove Ambassadors from Benghazi because they had intelligence of attacks on 9/11/12. We saw who took that advice seriously ans who ignored the warnings..

borg

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
In 2018, the Israeli PM warned the United Nations that Iranian missiles were being stored in the exact location of yesterdays explosion. Google it. Furthermore, there are a few other videos on twitter of battlefield explosions identical to the Beirut blast with the mushroom air shockwave and burnt orange smoke.

I trust Israel 100% to know whats up. In 2012, Israel warmed the US and Great Britain to remove Ambassadors from Benghazi because they had intelligence of attacks on 9/11/12. We saw who took that advice seriously ans who ignored the warnings..
So what your saying is that you don’t totally accept the Hezbollah-backed minister’s theory?