PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Martellus Bennett : [UPDATE: Placed on IR]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then you need to re-read what I wrote. I don't believe it, but simply stated it isn't terribly far fetched to believe such things happen in the NFL. Granted, this particular situation doesn't exactly arise on a regular basis but the general idea of backdoor conversations taking place.
There's a big difference between what you first said--that it wasn't far-fetched that the Pats sent secret tampering messages to Bennett--and what you're saying now, about "the general idea of backdoor conversations taking place."

I hate carrot cake...and that azzole Carrot Top too...:mad:

How could anyone possibly hate this???

carrot-top-plastic-surgery-body.jpg

"I'm full. I'm done eating. I've eaten too much."

"I've got your favorite dessert. Are you sure you don't want any?"

"Ok, just a small piece."

Now, the above person wasn't looking to screw over the apple pie, or the brownies, or the ice cream. He was done eating. However, the carrot cake showed up and convinced him to have a slice. There's no failure to disclose a level of satiety, and no hidden meaning to the decision to change his mind about dessert, and have a bit more. The man was just willing to go glutton on carrot cake.

Sometimes, a person should forgo dessert. Even if it is wafer thin.

Interesting.

POSSIBILITY......
CONCLUSION No one did anything wrong. ???????
Personally, I disagree.

GREEN BAY
GB had Bennett under contract and had decided that Bennett was able to play. IMHO, Bennett had a contractual obligation to play. If he so strongly disagreed with the medical diagnosis that he'd rather have surgery and no (minimal) pay check for the rest of the year, then that's fine.
In any case, GB might try to recover a portion of the bonus bonus.

BELICHICK
If what occurred
above isn't tampering under the agreement, it certainly will be considered in the future.

BOTTOM LINE
It's great to have Bennett signed, even though he screwed Green Bay.

A. There is no evidence BB did as you suggest.

B. And if he did so, WHY would they have bothered with the waiver process??? Exactly WHO is behind the reigning SB champs (or current 3-4th best record) in the waiver order? I thought they go by last season record (and not in-season). BB obviously wants him on waivers cause he gets him cheap (w GB eating the bonuses etc) and for multiyears. But if I am MB and I am doing this favor for BB/Pats; I'm going to doubledip by taking GB money and sign a new extra contract with Pats.

C. There are certainly teams more devious than Pats when it comes to player 'arrangements' (worst ex: Jete). I doubt you will get other teams interested in the rules committee adding rules that affect them while Patriots are so watched they couldn't do half that crap anyway.

Last edited:

I think it is obvious from the post game locker room video the torn cuff is on the left side (it hangs there and he avoids moving it unnecessarily). In this Clip, he hit Denv guy with right shoulder. Then the commentator says 'it looks pretty good'

Maybe check out all 3 receptions and see, does TB only throw to him so that right shoulder is exposed and not left??

As I said earlier, part of why he might be willing to play for NE and not anyone else is he knows the GOAT will throw accurately enough to protect him/his shoulder.

I thought they go by last season record (and not in-season).

For the first 3 (4?) weeks of the season, the claim order is based on the previous season record. After that, it's based on the current season.

So, when Bennett was waived, the Pats were #30, Steelers #31 and Eagles #32. So, 28 teams (leaving GBY out of it) passed on claiming Bennett.

For the first 3 (4?) weeks of the season, the claim order is based on the previous season record. After that, it's based on the current season.

It is 3 weeks.

Bennett is an a-hole in my opinion and scumbag and I'm not rooting for him to have any success -- I'd rather Gronk, Hogan, Amendola, Cooks, White, Burkhead got all the catches.

He had a contractual obligation to play, but he didn't want to because playing hurt a bit.

Him telling the truth would've been saying "My team sucks now, so I don't feel like playing thru the pain so pay me while I relax" -- which would make him one of many a-holes around.

Instead, he took it further, lied, wrongly throwing the doctor under the bus.

If a Pats player did what he did, we'd go nuts about it.

So you side with the team vs. the player. Interesting. It's okay, then, for the teams to cut players for no reason as circumstances change, but when a player decides to leave a teaam when circumstances change, the player is the enemy. Whick NFL team do you own?

As for team and league doctors, cut me a break.

Bennett is an a-hole in my opinion and scumbag and I'm not rooting for him to have any success -- I'd rather Gronk, Hogan, Amendola, Cooks, White, Burkhead got all the catches.

He had a contractual obligation to play, but he didn't want to because playing hurt a bit.

Him telling the truth would've been saying "My team sucks now, so I don't feel like playing thru the pain so pay me while I relax" -- which would make him one of many a-holes around.

Instead, he took it further, lied, wrongly throwing the doctor under the bus.

If a Pats player did what he did, we'd go nuts about it.

He never wronged or lied about anything. He got injured, played through it until the point where it literaly didnt make sense and said he will get surgery. GB were the ****ing assholes that tried to save money by cutting him instead of just putting him on IR.

Why is it ok for them to waive their contractual obligation the first moment they can but wrong for him to decide to get surgery and not risk further injury for Brett ****ing Hundley ?

**** Green Bay and their ****ing hickster town.

Why is it ok for them to waive their contractual obligation the first moment they can but wrong for him to decide to get surgery and not risk further injury for Brett ****ing Hundley ?

It's OK because the contract that the team and the player agreed to specifically says that the team has no obligation to continue to employ the player. So the team isn't waiving any obligation whatsoever because they were never obliged in the first place.

It's OK because the contract that the team and the player agreed to specifically says that the team has no obligation to continue to employ the player. So the team isn't waiving any obligation whatsoever because they were never obliged in the first place.

Well put and straight to the dry, factual point QM.

IMHO there isn't any need to make Bennett out as a hero or a villain. MB conducted his business obligation as he saw fit, GB conducted their business obligation as they saw fit, and it's unlikely there is sainthood awaiting anyone. It's the business side of the NFL that sometimes is not a warm and fuzzy picture.

If MB actively hid an injury prior to the contract signing then that is a different matter altogether (not right). Short of that (and I suspect this is a dubious claim by GB with an ulterior motive) this again was just a notably less glamorous side of an often not so glamorous business side of the NFL.

Turn the page...

Similarly, it is his right to choose surgery if multiple doctors recommend that. I dont see the issue people have with Bennett.

If the Packers are furious that he is playing for another team then maybe they shouldnt have tried to weasel themselves out of paying him either his bonus at the start of next season or an injury settlement by releasing him with a bogus failure to disclose tag but just IRd him. But they panicked when they saw him musing about retirement instead of just letting everything play out and see if he would report or retire (to then go after the bonus money).

Both sides played the same game of chicken and this time the player came out on top. There is literally nothing to see here..

Similarly, it is his right to choose surgery if multiple doctors recommend that. I dont see the issue people have with Bennett.

If the Packers are furious that he is playing for another team then maybe they shouldnt have tried to weasel themselves out of paying him either his bonus at the start of next season or an injury settlement by releasing him with a bogus failure to disclose tag but just IRd him. But they panicked when they saw him musing about retirement instead of just letting everything play out and see if he would report or retire (to then go after the bonus money).

Both sides played the same game of chicken and this time the player came out on top. There is literally nothing to see here..

I don't even think the retirement talk even factored in, to be honest. I think Ted Thompson et. al was listening to all the Hawt Taeks on local ST Radio, (Think, Dwayne Allen, that's what the Packer Fans thought of him) - and instead of putting Bennett on IR like a responsible GM, he tried to be shady and get out of the rest of the contract - and still try to recoup the bonus money, whether anyone claimed Bennett or not.

Bennett is being dramatic, and Thompson is being shady, among other things.

Nothing will come of it, either way.

Just as an aside - Bennett doesn't look right, playing. He LOOKS like he's hurt.

Missed him today..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back