PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mario Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mentioned it earlier. mario williams is just a shadow of his former himself

The Bills should have paid Luigi instead of Mario, sometimes Mario can't beat Bowser.

glad we didn't get into a bidding war for Mario. I think Peppers would have been amazing for us though. If there's one DE I'd want right now though, it would be JJ Watt. Texans got themselves a stud there.

Last edited:
I mentioned it earlier. mario williams is just a shadow of his former himself

Mario looked like the Mario I remember here in Houston. The Texans weren't crying when he left.

I saw a triple team on Wilfork today and it was highlighted on a replay. I can't say I saw one on Mario.
Gronk handled him a couple of times. I'd like to see how successful Jimmy Graham would be blocking Mario Williiams (staright up, no chop blocks).

mariowilliams.gif

I rewatched the game yesterday. Was clicking back and forth between football and Ryder Cup on Sunday. Sebastian Vollmer owned Mario Williams. Handled him one on one all day. Gronk even sealed his corner a couple of times. Of his two tackles. One occurred when we were up 42-28. He jumped down between Vollmer and Connolly. Sea Bass didn't try to block him thought Connolly would. He made a tackle for a 2 yard loss. The play before the 25 yard to pass to Lloyd. It wasn't that he didn't do anything. He didn't try. Didn't fight thru block when run was inside of him. Zero pursuit and hustle. Looks heavy in the legs to me. No explosiveness. Could have a core injury. One of the worst games I've ever seen a supposedly premier player have. If you don't believe me. Watch the replay and focus on him and Sea Bass.

I feel like he got paid and now is just coasting on it. Bills defense came in overrated anyway.

AFC East defense is currently: 16-Dolphins, 20-Patriots, 21-Jets, 27-Bills. Buffalo was supposed to have a defense that could help them challenge for a wild card, while its now the Patriots & Dolphins who have improved on their 2011 defenses, for now anyway.

Last edited:
Not a chance. Williams has disappointed, but he's been drawing double & triple teams a disproportionate amount of the time.

Haynesworth was just a bust. Williams might turn out to be more like Peppers, who was quiet for half a season in Chicago.

The Bills real problem is the DC, whose philosophy is outdated.

Nice game, btw.

Williams was blocked 1v1 by one of Gronk or Vollmer all day long. Mark Anderson was getting bulled by Solder on the other side, and the DT's are stationary.

The refusal to say, "We're getting mauled in the trenches. Maybe it's time to go heavier than a nickel package," was quite impressive. Wannstedt clearly had a boom or bust gameplan and zero plan B, C, or Z.

Did he come in for a work out and physical with the Patriots or did we completely skip him because of the $$$?

If there were talks, they didn't go beyond a phone call exchanging figures. By early afternoon on the first day of free agency, Williams was flying into Buffalo because they're the only ones who would put Julius Peppers money into a guy worse than Julius Peppers.

To put it in perspective Williams and Anderson make 23M/year as a duo. Brady will average out to 18M/year.

Brady 22/36, 340 yards, 3 TD 0 INT
Williams + Anderson 3 tackles 0 Sacks

Vollmer owned Williams. He looked like he was back to his All Pro Team form.

Not a chance. Williams has disappointed, but he's been drawing double & triple teams a disproportionate amount of the time.

Haynesworth was just a bust. Williams might turn out to be more like Peppers, who was quiet for half a season in Chicago.

The Bills real problem is the DC, whose philosophy is outdated.

Nice game, btw.

Mario Williams feels pain of wrist, slow start

I think it's pretty sad that he's blaming his wrist for the slow start. It may be impacting it, but you'd never hear a Patriot make excuses like that.

The article also has some observations from one of the reporters of the Bills flagship network, who re-watched the All-22 and found the following:

Using the All-22 coach’s film package that is available through NFL.com, Buscaglia broke down every snap and his breakdown of Williams’ performance was glaringly revealing.

The film showed that Williams was all-out double-teamed on just one of the 69 snaps he played. There were three other plays where he was “chipped,” meaning a running back or tight end got a piece of him while he was engaged with a lineman.

As the Patriots were rushing for 247 yards, they ran toward Williams’ side on 11 plays, and averaged seven yards per attempt. He was never double-teamed on any of the runs, regardless of which side they were aimed toward, and on eight of the 34 running plays he was on the field for, he was single-blocked by one of New England’s tight ends.

So no on the triple-team. And no on the consistent double-team either, at least against the Pats. Maybe on the wrist injury, though he probably injured himself hauling the huge piles of money away from the scene as quickly as possible.

Hi, everyone. Texans fan on here for the big game Monday night and figured my first post might as well be about our Mario Williams.

Mario isn't an effort guy with a high motor. He plays when he wants to, it seems like. He was always nicked up or injured for the Texans and just never was a consistently dominant player, despite the outrageous potential.
It's true he must be accounted for, but not necessarily doubled up. Bull rushing is abot his only move, and a good OT can simply push him out past the QB, where the QB has plenty of pocket to step up into.

It's rather shameful for a DL toblame a sore wrist for poor play. Anything above the waist just doesn't really count, IMO.

Anywho, Have fun facing him twice a year. NE should be just fine.

Hi, everyone. Texans fan on here for the big game Monday night and figured my first post might as well be about our Mario Williams.

Mario isn't an effort guy with a high motor. He plays when he wants to, it seems like. He was always nicked up or injured for the Texans and just never was a consistently dominant player, despite the outrageous potential.
It's true he must be accounted for, but not necessarily doubled up. Bull rushing is abot his only move, and a good OT can simply push him out past the QB, where the QB has plenty of pocket to step up into.

It's rather shameful for a DL toblame a sore wrist for poor play. Anything above the waist just doesn't really count, IMO.

Anywho, Have fun facing him twice a year. NE should be just fine.

This attitude of Mario's goes back to his NC State days. I think it goes to show for prospect evaluation that often times, "you are who you are."

i couldnt even watch lastnights game. see what you can do against the 49ers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing