PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans
Search

Marcus Jones: the Pats version of Deion Sanders?

UrbanCowboy

HoustonPatsFan
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reactions
If they're not going to use him as an "inside" corner to cover slot receivers -- which is what I thought he was drafted for -- I think he should be permanently placed at slot receiver/punt returner a la Welker, Edelman, etc. That has been a position of need for three years now. Then let him play defense occasionally in emergency situations.
What a great problem to have. Seems like he'd have even more value on offense. The slot position has been key for us over the years and a big gap the last few. If Strong is even close to what he showed, and Thornton develops, we got ourselves some speed!

Sicilian

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
If they're not going to use him as an "inside" corner to cover slot receivers -- which is what I thought he was drafted for -- I think he should be permanently placed at slot receiver/punt returner a la Welker, Edelman, etc. That has been a position of need for three years now. Then let him play defense occasionally in emergency situations.

I think that's actually how they're going to try to do it now, but Monday night they went in without Mills and then lost Jack Jones fairly early on, so Marcus took a lot of extra defensive reps. Hopefully with some health luck, they can use him as their primary returner, then mix and match him on offense/defense depending on what's needed.

Steve102

You were going to say something clever?
PatsFans.com Supporter
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
Dieon Sanders?
Bull GIF by CBS

I like the player. A lot. A wicked lot. But let's not compare him to Prime just yet.

UrbanCowboy

HoustonPatsFan
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reactions
I think that's actually how they're going to try to do it now, but Monday night they went in without Mills and then lost Jack Jones fairly early on, so Marcus took a lot of extra defensive reps. Hopefully with some health luck, they can use him as their primary returner, then mix and match him on offense/defense depending on what's needed.
I think it's Bill/the team adapting. Now that we're playing flag football, speed is more important than ever.

The Brandon Five

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
"Let's not put him in Canton yet, fellas"

woolster22

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
If Mac can settle down and start processing everything so he is comfortable (big if), I think 2023 and beyond for this team is very exciting. Double-digit sack guys, much faster on D, Thornton. M Jones, and Strong can really fly, the RBs are exciting guys, and we have Cap Space. Even the Globe ran a story about the Pats future looking bright (now that is remarkable). You must be a half empty guy.
We need 3 OTs. That's a problem.

WhatJustHappened

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reactions
Maybe he'll be the next Welker...but we don't know... Edelman took 6 years.... we'll see.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reactions

I really like Jack Jones and with some more experience and he learns when to gamble jumping routes better, he could be a top CB in this league. But right now, he isn't close to Sauce Gardner. I was pissed to the Texans took Stingley over Gardner.

Sure three to five years from now, Jones could be considered far better than Gardner. But right now, it looks like the Jets may have Revis 2.0.

Triumph

Hall of Fame Poster
Reactions
I really like Jack Jones and with some more experience and he learns when to gamble jumping routes better, he could be a top CB in this league. But right now, he isn't close to Sauce Gardner. I was pissed to the Texans took Stingley over Gardner.

Sure three to five years from now, Jones could be considered far better than Gardner. But right now, it looks like the Jets may have Revis 2.0.
Great 2022 draft.

Pats need to give Zappe another chance this season. Maybe the Raiders game.

crawhammer

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reactions
It's time to pump the brakes when people are making comparisons to Deion and Tyreek.

State

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reactions
His future is bright.
He’s electric on the field and smooth and suave off it—a go-to resource for companies looking for a spokesman for tv commercials.

borg

Pro Bowl Player
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
I really like what I am seeing from the guy, but any Deion comparisons may be a bit premature.
The dude already has "1 start" in the NFL so alert Canton

:cool:
Would love to have a real OC at NE with the ability to develop and expand MJ's pass catching role.

Size wise....
Marcus Jones 5'8" 185lbs (Note Deion Sanders 6'1" 195lbs)
An incher shorter than Welker but same weight
Edelman 5'10" 195lbs
Troy Brown 5'10 196lbs

PatsFanInVa

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
I wonder how we'd do at this if Bill Belichick could draft

FCB02062

Pro Bowl Player
Reactions
it was only a matter of time before someone did this....

Patriots Slater Calling It Quits After 16 Seasons
Patriots News 2-18, The Draft, Free Agency, and “The Dynasty”
MORSE: The Young Guns Patriots New Defensive Coaches
MORSE: Introducing the New Patriots Front Office
49ers Had a Chance, But Questionable Decisions Cost Them in Loss to Chiefs
Patriots News 2-11, Hightower Returns, Staff, Front Office Thoughts
Ranking The 57 Super Bowls From Worst To Best
Wolf’s Ascension Hopefully Will Help Patriots Fix One Key Problem Moving Forward
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #2 – Post College All-Star Games
Felger and Lombardi Interview: Two Sides Argue “The Laziest Narrative” on Belichick