PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Watch [Very Old Thread from 2022]

mikey m

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
2 games into sophomore season. How's he looking?

Unfortunately I see little, if any, difference in his weaknesses from his rookie season so far:
- Little zip on intermediate throws
- Does not feel or anticipate pressure well
- Quick internal clock doesn't allow him to go through progressions at times
- If he struggles to get velocity with his feet set, he has almost zero throwing ability on the run

Pros:
- Smart? Has learned the offense well I think?
- Motivated, good attitude
- ?

Middle of the road:
- Accuracy. Short throws mostly on point. Intermediate/deep a mixed bag.

Overall, I think he's got the brains and mindset, but would love to see him start to recognize pressure and consistently go through progressions and make good decisions.

Dumb decisions, clean that up and he’ll be fine. The offensive line will also continue to settle in as well.

Tough start. More questionable decisions and misthrows today. On the plus, he remained poised overall and converted some big 3rd downs today. Pocket presense and movement looked good too he was in tune with the ol. I wonder how much improvements we can see simply by benching parker as ive been very happy lately with bourne/agholor/meyers. And besides being a waste, the plays to parker is not just taking away opportunities from others but also resulting in bad plays. Lots to work on but Still time to put it together.

Next week is the home opener and he’s been a much better qb at home from what ive seen and Baltimore d just got lit up today. May be too early for a breakout game for 22 but I expect some improvement.

All the team is asking him to do is protect the football. Throw it away! The turnovers are beginning to look familiar since the windy Bills game.

All the team is asking him to do is protect the football. Throw it away! The turnovers are beginning to look familiar since the windy Bills game.

Both of them were being forced to parker. When parker said 50-50 balls were more like 80-20 did he mean from the cb’s point of view? Even that would have been selling the defense short!

I'm probably one of his biggest critics, but I think he played well overall today. He completed more passes past 10 yards which he's been among the worst since his rookie year. In terms of his arm, I think we're going to have to just accept that he's not going to throw lasers on intermediate routes or deep.

I'm probably one of his biggest critics, but I think he played well overall today. He completed more passes past 10 yards which he's been among the worst since his rookie year. In terms of his arm, I think we're going to have to just accept that he's not going to throw lasers on intermediate routes or deep.

I still think the laser throws are overrated. Again, Manning has the career single season career yards record throwing the ball as if it was a basketball.

He needs to work on his accuracy at that range and not necessarily the velocity of the football.

Had a solid rookie year... he's got a whole new system and all new coaches... made some mistakes, made some good plays, seems dialed up team wise... let's give the man time, and see what happens.

Sometimes I worry a little bit about the velocity on short routes making it easy to jump them, but not to a significant extent.

The thing I really don't like this season is his propensity to throw it deep into double (or worse) coverage, or against the best DB on the opposing team. Or whatever the **** happened on that dropped interception he threw directly to the defender.

Second season is a tough development year for QBs under any circumstances. Mac is sorting through a lot, including the reality that defenses have learned how to attack him and expose his limitations and the kid gloves are removed from the game plan. To the points on his arm strength it is often difficult to translate the physical mechanics changes (tom house coaching) to the field of play. Additionally there is a new offense, a shaky o-line and increased expectations for year two. He is thinking and not playing naturally which is contributing to the mistakes and shaky play. Ultimately Mac is where he should be in terms of development. Given his attitude, he will learn and get better. I think his scramble for the first down is a good sign that he is playing without over thinking. Per BB's plan Mac will go through his baptism by fire during the preseason and be ready to go game 5.

It's concerning to me how he looks but then I have to remind my self to stop and look at who has had to throw the ball to.

Seems like last yr josh had him get rid of quick and he was known for accuracy throwing darts. This year they are having him hold onto it longer. Where's Hunter Henry? Bourne was given more snap. The coaching has screwed with the kid

Tough start. More questionable decisions and misthrows today. On the plus, he remained poised overall and converted some big 3rd downs today. Pocket presense and movement looked good too he was in tune with the ol. I wonder how much improvements we can see simply by benching parker as ive been very happy lately with bourne/agholor/meyers. And besides being a waste, the plays to parker is not just taking away opportunities from others but also resulting in bad plays. Lots to work on but Still time to put it together.

Next week is the home opener and he’s been a much better qb at home from what ive seen and Baltimore d just got lit up today. May be too early for a breakout game for 22 but I expect some improvement.
Let' just remember when we say this stuff that we're used to having the most experienced QB in the NFL. I saw the kinds of mistakes players make who are still learning at this level. It's not unreasonable for an NFL sophomore to still be making a few unforced errors.

I also saw him show some toughness and willingness to change the plan on the fly. His ability to improvise saved our bacon on a couple plays in this game. He's no Brady but he's clearly less hesitant in his reads on the field, I expect that to continue to improve unless some unexpected injury happens.

He's in no danger of becoming a superstar anytime soon. But everyone I'd actually want to replace him with IS a superstar and to me that means the dude is serviceable. He also strikes me as one of those players who needs to perfect his technique to really come into his own so we may have a late bloomer on our hands, a la Kurt Warner.

dude just went 1-1 on the road against 2 teams who expect to contend. I'll call that an OK performance.

Let' just remember when we say this stuff that we're used to having the most experienced QB in the NFL. I saw the kinds of mistakes players make who are still learning at this level. It's not unreasonable for an NFL sophomore to still be making a few unforced errors.

I also saw him show some toughness and willingness to change the plan on the fly. His ability to improvise saved our bacon on a couple plays in this game. He's no Brady but he's clearly less hesitant in his reads on the field, I expect that to continue to improve unless some unexpected injury happens.

He's in no danger of becoming a superstar anytime soon but Mac could be one of those guys who bloom late. But everyone I'd actually want to replace him with IS a superstar and to me that means the dude is serviceable.

Im not worrying much until mid October ish. New oc, new system, its gonna take time

Tomlin did not pressure Jones and did not take away Meyers.

I expect that to change moving forward.

I agree about the pocket presence and seeing field better. I think they correlate.

I also think invisible Parker might correlate too. Hard to seem comfortable and like your seeing the field well when the guy who should be your first read has not shown up.

I don't want to give up on Parker because we've seen much better from him in his career but it feels like he might be holding things back a little. Hopefully things click soon because Meyers and Agholar are earning theirs, Bourne wants to eat, and the rook will be back soon.

Not worried about his velocity.

His mechanics are all screwed up and he's not decisive. He's late on throws.

Velocity is all about mechanics and decisiveness. He needs to have command of the offense and confidence.

Right now, he doesn't have either, which is why you're seeing the kind of ball he's throwing.

This is his 20th game. He'll improve. He's young.

I would say today was not a good game for him.

Last year he was more comfortable in the offense, and better.

All Belichick had to do was give up 3 1st Rd. Picks and we could have had Trey Lance!!!! Imsooooooo MAD!!!!!!!!!

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back