PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Watch [Very Old Thread from 2022]

Mac had a great year last year, surpassed what many thought he would do.
Maybe he just needs some time. Miami fans and Eagles fans were ready to kick Tua and Jalen to the curb their first few years, but look at what they are doing now. Everyone wants the immediate star, but time takes time.

They also went out and got both QBs elite receivers and upgraded the OLs, just a thought.
This is a good point but look at the offensive rosters of those other teams.

This may be a good thing for Mac. He was not playing well for whatever the reason. His performances were regressing. Poor throws (those ten yard check downs that only got 7 drive me crazy), spotty pre snap recognition (quick throws behind the line of scrimmage with a defender lined up directly across) spotty post snap recognition, playing too fast sometimes. Maybe time away clears his head and gives him some improved perspective...If not, we better start looking for our next QB. He was actually playing Hoyeresque, and was only better than Cam which is saying nothing.

I don't see franchise QB. You may need more time and sample size. The little I have seen shows someone who lacks sangfroid and that you don't get from coaching, scheme, lack of OC etc. It comes from within. Saw it from his very first snap with Pats. Once panic sets in, bad things abound.

Check out the sangfroid in this guy's first (and second) pass attempt - a dump off pass right to the RB's helmet when he wasn't even looking - then a near pick 6. Reeks of CHÈVRE.

GOAT.png

It's nuts to think that if his 2nd pass attempt didn't sail just a little bit, then that probably would've been a pick 6, and his career in that alternate universe might be more like Stidham's (who had an 11yd completion, a sack, a 3yd completion, then the interception to JAdams). Just watched a fantastic movie Everything, Everywhere, and All at Once and the idea is fresh.

I agree that it’s to early to give up on Mac, but the one thing Josh Allen had that Mac doesn’t is high end athleticism. His ceiling was way way higher then Macs.

Macs strength is supposed to be his head and making the smart read/play and that is what is worrying. He has a limited arm and is making bone headed decisions. Not a great recipe for success.

Couldn't help but think of this:

My how quickly the haters come out. Do you guys think Mac has actually gotten worse? Do you think BB knows nothing, when he and the team has said all camp that Mac has improved a lot - that they don't know anything about QB's. Just because the result on the field, with a LOT of turnover and brand new OC, is struggling. Yesterday showed that there is a lot of potential. And they haven't even gotten the TE's involved yet. We KNOW that BB and Co. like to tinker the first month. They're not opening the whole playbook yet. And in fact, with Hoyer stepping in, we'll likely see more of it because he's been intimately involved with this offense for a decade. Sure Hoyer makes the same mistakes Mac has been making, so we're probably literally at about the same spot. But I will say, that scramble play by Mac in the beginning of the 4th qtr. on 4th down was as good as Rogers or Mahomes. His awareness is there. He just needs to get comfortable. And now he'll have time to get perspective.

Josh Allen has physical gifts that Mac doesn't have. I do agree we need to give him time to fairly judge, but don't think a Allen comparison is valid here.
I'm comparing their decision making, JA used to make a lot of bad decisions and he's cleaned that up the last couple of years. Some QB's just need time.

The 40 year old virgin haters say one thing. The numbers say another.

I think those of us with a brain will go with the evidence. Mac has looked great out there. Excellent on 3rd down throughout September, and his deep game is constantly improving. He easily carved up a very talented defense yesterday that was the healthiest it has been all season.

Just wait until he actually starts trying when he comes back from this injury.

The 40 year old virgin haters say one thing. The numbers say another.

I think those of us with a brain will go with the evidence. Mac has looked great out there. Excellent on 3rd down throughout September, and his deep game is constantly improving. He easily carved up a very talented defense yesterday that was the healthiest it has been all season.

Just wait until he actually starts trying when he comes back from this injury.
If Mac cleans up the turnovers, I’m pretty happy with his play. I think hindsight on Brady is 20/20. He obviously had the iconic SB winning drive in 2001, but aside from that he played just ok in that game. He didn’t make any mistakes, but didn’t really take any shots either. He had some excellent games that year, but some bad ones too (Denver, 4 INTs). I definitely remember some brutal Brady games, but he was so good at coming up with the clutch drive, which Mac hasn’t done yet. Punting on Mac this early is premature imo.

If Mac cleans up the turnovers, I’m pretty happy with his play. I think hindsight on Brady is 20/20. He obviously had the iconic SB winning drive in 2001, but aside from that he played just ok in that game. He didn’t make any mistakes, but didn’t really take any shots either. He had some excellent games that year, but some bad ones too (Denver, 4 INTs). I definitely remember some brutal Brady games, but he was so good at coming up with the clutch drive, which Mac hasn’t done yet. Punting on Mac this early is premature imo.

Exactly. As the last two decades have shown, Bill Belichick doesn't need elite QB talent to win multiple rings. However, that is exactly what he has in Mac Jones. We're in great shape in that regard.

This is a good point but look at the offensive rosters of those other teams.
Agree, that is why I said that both teams went out a got 2 elite WRs in free agency and both drafted elite WRs.

Y'awl stoopit. If you'd seen this week's Rick and Morty, a shameless "Severance" rip-off, you'd know that what we saw Sunday wasn't Mac Jones but his night person, whom I'll name, by property of backwardsness, Senoj Cam. Obviously, that j should be an r. I jest my case.

First game against Miami last year he did come up with the clutch drive only to have a RB fumble the game away. He's capable.

My how quickly the haters come out. Do you guys think Mac has actually gotten worse? Do you think BB knows nothing, when he and the team has said all camp that Mac has improved a lot - that they don't know anything about QB's. Just because the result on the field, with a LOT of turnover and brand new OC, is struggling. Yesterday showed that there is a lot of potential. And they haven't even gotten the TE's involved yet. We KNOW that BB and Co. like to tinker the first month. They're not opening the whole playbook yet. And in fact, with Hoyer stepping in, we'll likely see more of it because he's been intimately involved with this offense for a decade. Sure Hoyer makes the same mistakes Mac has been making, so we're probably literally at about the same spot. But I will say, that scramble play by Mac in the beginning of the 4th qtr. on 4th down was as good as Rogers or Mahomes. His awareness is there. He just needs to get comfortable. And now he'll have time to get perspective.
Do results not mean anything anymore? I thought that is what things are based on.

Josh Allen wasn't the guy until he figured it out, why don't we give Mac some time to figure it out. Can't expect another QB to come in like TB and win the super bowl right off the bat.
Because Mac isn't close to being A Josh.

Notice that most of the haters are Timmyites...

On 9/7/03, Tom Brady threw 4 picks vs Buffalo. A few weeks later on 9/28 he threw 3 vs Washington. That's 7 in September of 2003. Now, before everyone jumps all over me, I am not suggesting Mac is going to be better, worse or anything comparable. All I am saying is maybe all y'all should just give the kid a break (pun intended) and see how it goes.

Exactly. As the last two decades have shown, Bill Belichick doesn't need elite QB talent to win multiple rings. However, that is exactly what he has in Mac Jones. We're in great shape in that regard.
Applaud Standing Ovation GIF by Black Market
standing ovation oscars GIF by The Academy Awards
well done good job GIF by America's Got Talent
Standing Ovation Yes GIF by The Maury Show
New York Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers
Bernie Sanders Applause GIF by Election 2016
standing ovation applause GIF
Denzel Washington Yes GIF by SAG Awards
Golden Globes Reaction GIF by Boomerang Official
Nick Jonas Dancing GIF by NBC
Well Done Applause GIF by MOODMAN
Kate Winslet Crying GIF by The Academy Awards
Excited Standing Ovation GIF by Empire FOX
Awesome Proud Of You GIF by Shalita Grant
Lodovica Comello GIF by Italia's Got Talent
Lets Go Yes GIF by BBC Three
Season 21 Applause GIF by The Voice

snoop dogg fist GIF by BET Hip Hop Awards
jimmy fallon lol GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
Reese Witherspoon GIF by SAG Awards

This is an interesting thread I had bookmarked last year. Saw the panicking very early, in fact I saw it in his first ever game at Miami where he fumbled the handoff with his back to his oline. Was the strangest play even for a rookie. He can't handle NFL level defenders in live game situation. In joint practices, he goes and studies the other team and so on second practice, he lights it up and gets all of us excited.
You can't make judgement on your oline and skill position players if the QB is this bad.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back