PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Watch [Very Old Thread from 2022]

But a week ago wasn’t he told to run the play as scripted to the designated player? And now he’s not?
Can you show me a link to this?

I can tell you just from watching him that he's late to check down.

He wants to go downfield.

He doesn't have to.

I have seen enough, Mac was close to this ceiling last year. To win with Mac, you will need a talented and fast WR group like he had in Bama. He is too quick to panic and throw just stupid balls. That has nothing to do with coaching. The coaches did not do him any favors last year as well has he does not have a proper game winning drive why it was all him. I keep saying we broke him with that ridiculous Bills game where he did not throw any meaningful passes. I will be surprise if some of the players don't have their doubts about him as well. Too bad for the injury. I hope he recovers, it does help him get some excuses in come the end of the year but for the first three games he has been really poor.
I am out of Mac's camp. Got to start looking for someone in next year's draft if Zappe is not it.

What a ridiculously ignorant post. Please consider changing your screen name to Worsethanmost then take a nice long break, like about six months or so.

What a ridiculously ignorant post. Please consider changing your screen name to Worsethanmost then take a nice long break, like about six months or so.
I don't see franchise QB. You may need more time and sample size. The little I have seen shows someone who lacks sangfroid and that you don't get from coaching, scheme, lack of OC etc. It comes from within. Saw it from his very first snap with Pats. Once panic sets in, bad things abound.

Josh Allen wasn't the guy until he figured it out, why don't we give Mac some time to figure it out. Can't expect another QB to come in like TB and win the super bowl right off the bat.
Josh Allen has physical gifts that Mac doesn't have. I do agree we need to give him time to fairly judge, but don't think a Allen comparison is valid here.

I don't see franchise QB. You may need more time and sample size. The little I have seen shows someone who lacks sangfroid and that you don't get from coaching, scheme, lack of OC etc. It comes from within. Saw it from his very first snap with Pats. Once panic sets in, bad things abound.

You don't see much because you don't know what to look for and aren't giving it enough time. Mac has played only 21 NFL games. He had a VERY successful rookie season leading his team to the playoffs and logging a 92.5 QBR while getting named to the Pro Bowl. He's trying to navigate a radically different offense in his second season where EVERYONE -- OL, receivers and most of all coaches -- are trying to get on the same page. "Sangfroid" is easy to come by when not forced to run for your life or guess where to throw the ball when your people aren't where they're supposed to be.

Young QBs commonly throw stupid interceptions as part of the learning curve. Mac did that today while STILL completing 69 percent of his passes for 321 yards along with five rushes for 31 yards. Did you see a "franchise QB" in Josh Allen after 21 starts in ONE offensive system? Give the "once panic sets in" nonsense a rest.

Josh Allen has physical gifts that Mac doesn't have. I do agree we need to give him time to fairly judge, but don't think an Allen comparison is valid here.
Mac entered the league as the most polished and pro ready of his class. Allen was not a polished QB prospect. Very raw but massive upside. I don’t know if they’re comparable at all.

Mac entered the league as the most polished and pro ready of his class. Allen was not a polished QB prospect. Very raw but massive upside. I don’t know if they’re comparable at all.

The comparison is you really don't know what you have in a QB 'til year three or four. The jury still is WAY out on Mac, especially with the coaching clown car he's forced to ride in his second season.

The comparison is you really don't know what you have in a QB 'til year three or four. The jury still is WAY out on Mac, especially with the coaching clown car he's forced to ride in his second season.
Yes Judge and Patricia are clowns and I was called out on that remark in the preseason

Yes Judge and Patricia are clowns and I was called out on that remark in the preseason

Well, they had to be given a chance to actually prove it and so far they've put their young quarterback in a tough spot. Things could improve, though -- we'll see.

You don't see much because you don't know what to look for and aren't giving it enough time. Mac has played only 21 NFL games. He had a VERY successful rookie season leading his team to the playoffs and logging a 92.5 QBR while getting named to the Pro Bowl. He's trying to navigate a radically different offense in his second season where EVERYONE -- OL, receivers and most of all coaches -- are trying to get on the same page. "Sangfroid" is easy to come by when not forced to run for your life or guess where to throw the ball when your people aren't where they're supposed to be.

Young QBs commonly throw stupid interceptions as part of the learning curve. Mac did that today while STILL completing 69 percent of his passes for 321 yards along with five rushes for 31 yards. Did you see a "franchise QB" in Josh Allen after 21 starts in ONE offensive system? Give the "once panic sets in" nonsense a rest.
Good points made here, and encouraging that he has fans like you willing to be patient. I did watch him a lot at Bama and know his strengths, unfortunately they are not situated to players we have around him. Maybe Thornton will help, but he needs players who can take slants to the house.
I wanted to see more throw away vice just throwing the ball at defenders thing he has started this year. That is the panic knock and it is legit. He needs to get some composure and make better decisions under duress. Throwing the ball away at times is the best decision. Throw it to the dirt not to defenders.

Mac is not the guy right now. There's still a chance he could be in a year, but if we end up with a top 10 pick in the draft do you double down with Mac or take a top QB?

We have been poor/mediocre for 4 straight years since we won the Rams SB, are we actually getting better without top level draft additions?

Seems the only way bad teams get good is by being really bad for 2 years to get top level talent injected into the roster. Staying on the playoff bubble means you miss the top talent. It would be painful to watch a 4-13 season but it could actually be needed at some point to get us up a level.

Good points made here, and encouraging that he has fans like you willing to be patient. I did watch him a lot at Bama and know his strengths, unfortunately they are not situated to players we have around him. Maybe Thornton will help, but he needs players who can take slants to the house.
I wanted to see more throw away vice just throwing the ball at defenders thing he has started this year. That is the panic knock and it is legit. He needs to get some composure and make better decisions under duress. Throwing the ball away at times is the best decision. Throw it to the dirt not to defenders.

But your "panic knock" isn't endemic to Mac's game, he normally is pretty poised and also not afraid to stand in there and take a hit. HE STILL IS GETTING EXPERIENCED AT THE NFL level for crap sakes! You're trying too hard to find fault. All quarterbacks have those problems especially early in their careers, including a guy named Tom Brady. That's how they learn.

Playing more like a Junior Bacon Cheeseburger than a Big Mac right now

Hey I like Junior Bacon Cheeseburgers... I can eat two of those without guilt!

Until he limped off the field, Mac had been playing more like a Filet-O-Fish... that was left in the car overnight...

Josh Allen wasn't the guy until he figured it out, why don't we give Mac some time to figure it out. Can't expect another QB to come in like TB and win the super bowl right off the bat.
I agree that it’s to early to give up on Mac, but the one thing Josh Allen had that Mac doesn’t is high end athleticism. His ceiling was way way higher then Macs.

Macs strength is supposed to be his head and making the smart read/play and that is what is worrying. He has a limited arm and is making bone headed decisions. Not a great recipe for success.

The Mac hype must stop.

This season is basically done for him even if he comes back. He is not setting his legs right to begin with and now ankle damage on his front leg unless he is falling backwards like he does and launching passes.

Mac 2023

Mac had a great year last year, surpassed what many thought he would do.
Maybe he just needs some time. Miami fans and Eagles fans were ready to kick Tua and Jalen to the curb their first few years, but look at what they are doing now. Everyone wants the immediate star, but time takes time.

They also went out and got both QBs elite receivers and upgraded the OLs, just a thought.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back