PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones OROY discussion

If Mac keeps playing the way he does and the Pats get a high playoff seed, he easily wins.

Agree, the only other potentials I see are Chase, Najee, and maybe Waddle but any of them would have to go off to finish the season.

BTW - If Mac eventually DOES lose the OROY award, I will feel bad for about 2 seconds and won't think about it again....ever. It's another IDIVIDUAL award that is as meaningless as those weekly player of the week award. Just sayin'

Last night was a push but he's still ahead right now. I think he wins it unless he has a couple of disaster games that cause the Pats home stretch to go sideways.

oreally.jpg

Will the media (who I assume votes) really be prepared to celebrate the Pats finding a new QB so quickly with this award?

BTW - If Mac eventually DOES lose the OROY award, I will feel bad for about 2 seconds and won't think about it again....ever. It's another IDIVIDUAL award that is as meaningless as those weekly player of the week award. Just sayin'
It will make a better case for him when he's HoF eligible

Will the media (who I assume votes) really be prepared to celebrate the Pats finding a new QB so quickly with this award?

I think so. They had 20 years of easy stories, drama, and intrigue. In 2020 they had the fall of the empire. Now? Nada. TB is still there, but star players will always be there. A true dynasty is much more rare, and it can only fall once. If the Pats have truly caught lightning in a bottle again with Mac then the media can go right back to dynasty mode and hope for another long stretch of having a nation-wide target available for their attacks.

From Mac Jones,

“That’s where our mind is, getting ready for our next game. Evaluating the past, but not looking too much into it. Not worrying about the future. Just being where our feet are,” he said. “I think it’s just finding out what you can improve on. The last part of the season is the most important part. Nothing you did before that matters. The bye week is important for self-evaluation for what you can do as a player, as an offense. Obviously taking coaching and figuring out ways to improve. That’s all you can ask for. Whether it be your mechanical thing or what we can do schematically or whatever. Then you go out there and do it for the remainder of the season.

Sounds like a BillB "mini-me".... :D

From Mac Jones,

“That’s where our mind is, getting ready for our next game. Evaluating the past, but not looking too much into it. Not worrying about the future. Just being where our feet are,” he said. “I think it’s just finding out what you can improve on. The last part of the season is the most important part. Nothing you did before that matters. The bye week is important for self-evaluation for what you can do as a player, as an offense. Obviously taking coaching and figuring out ways to improve. That’s all you can ask for. Whether it be your mechanical thing or what we can do schematically or whatever. Then you go out there and do it for the remainder of the season.

Sounds like a BillB "mini-me".... :D
Has Belichick even “Johnny Foxborough’d” him yet?

Agree doesn't matter

Did KVN just call his QB Mac Jones “Buddy”?

is that really his locker room nickname?

that’s even better than Mondre.
What’s a 5 letter word starting with B and ending with Y that means GOAT?

Yep. Barmore was a great pick but Parsons will win DROY

Barmore is getting the Seymour treatment. Double teamed a ton so tackle numbers aren't high but is the key to the entire DLine

Of topic a bit. Whether you think Jones is like a young Tom Brady or not (not the issue for this discussion), one of the stupidest arguments against is Christopher Gasper saying if Jones is like a young Tom Brady, he will lead the NFL next year in TD passes like Brady did in 2002. What a stupid argument for a number of reasons.

First, 2002 was a really down year for TD passes in an era where the quality of NFL QBs overall was at an all time low. Brady led the league with 28 TD passes. Even in 2022, that was extremely low for a league leader. In 2001, Warner had 36. In 2003, Favre had 32. In 2004, Manning broke the record with 49 (and three other QBs had over 30 including Culpepper with 39).

And if you look at the top QBs of 2002, it was a joke. Favre and Manning were up there, but so were Jeff Garcia, Trent Green (who replaced Warner that season), Aaron Brooks, Rich Gannon, Brad Johnson, and a broken down Steve McNair were some of the other top QBs that year. Yes, Gannon did earn a league MVP that year, but he wouldn't have ever gotten close to that award with the current crop of QBs.

Second, to lead the league in TD passes now, you need to get over 40 passes. To say Jones getting say 42 TD passes next year is comparable to Brady getting 28 in 2002 is a little laughable. Yes, it was great that Brady led the league in 2002, but I don't know if 2002 Brady could have ever gotten over 40 TDs. In fact, I don't think Belichick would have let him even try. Brady was still in game manager mode in 2002, but was asked at times to carry the offense because the defense wasn't great that year.

I like Mac as much as anyone, and am really happy with how his year is going, but he hasn’t put together an OROY caliber season in my opinion. He’s been mostly consistent and maybe a little above average, but the only reason we’re talking about him is because the Pats have won, others rookies are cooling, not because he’s taking off. Everyone pointing to Chase’s last few games needs to also acknowledge Mac’s past few games have been ok, but not great. I can’t fault him for Buffalo, but that game still counts.

I know wins and losses have come up, but I really don’t feel Mac has put the team on his back and won us any games, and maybe more to his credit, he hasn’t really lost us any either. He’s just sort of been a high floor rookie. Chase has had a few special games and been dominant.

i like Mac a lot- i hope the next couple of games he starts to take off, but I still have a few others ahead of him for this award

I like Mac as much as anyone, and am really happy with how his year is going, but he hasn’t put together an OROY caliber season in my opinion. He’s been mostly consistent and maybe a little above average, but the only reason we’re talking about him is because the Pats have won, others rookies are cooling, not because he’s taking off. Everyone pointing to Chase’s last few games needs to also acknowledge Mac’s past few games have been ok, but not great. I can’t fault him for Buffalo, but that game still counts.

I know wins and losses have come up, but I really don’t feel Mac has put the team on his back and won us any games, and maybe more to his credit, he hasn’t really lost us any either. He’s just sort of been a high floor rookie. Chase has had a few special games and been dominant.

i like Mac a lot- i hope the next couple of games he starts to take off, but I still have a few others ahead of him for this award
Given that this specifically a rookie category, Jones' performance should be judged vs other rookie QBs, and in that context he will be in very rare historical company if he leads the Patriots to a winning record and the playoffs. Out of the 10 rookies in that category in the last 20 years only Sanchez and Orton lost the OROY title to a non-QB.

Depends on what metric you're using. He's been better than other rookies, historically, looking at completion percentage and wins. He has room to grow elsewhere for sure, and if he is compared with all starting quarterbacks, then he'll be closer to average than exceptional, but the award doesn't factor in their play.

Who is realistically ahead of him for OROY? Chase is the only legitimate competitor. The award simply doesn't go to positions outside of QB, RB, WR. Perhaps it should, but it doesn't.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back