PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones has incredible accuracy

His leadership, poise, and moxie remind me of Brady.

His throwing mechanics remind me of both Mannings.

His ball placement reminds me of Brees.

His pocket presence/movement has elements of Brady & Brees but isn’t wholly one or the other … a bit of both.
If somehow we’re able to get some elite receivers in the next couple of years, like how manning got Harrison and Wayne, Mac could develop like Manning.

Future pick, basically given a redshirt year. Every one should want him to work out given the current state at ILB. Heavy hands, tough as **** and will take on OL'm all day but he's athletic and very smart. Not much experience in coverage bc of the blitz scheme he came from in Brown's system but he's more than capable. Not a strength but I believe he could be a plus player on all three downs.

Checks the boxes Bill likes but a little more potential in coverage than we're used to. Again everyone should be excited about that pick.
And he's got good speed allegedly

Mac has comparable passing numbers to Lamar, Tannehill, Carr
And he's better than Ryan, Big Ben, Baker - who would have ever guessed that as a rookie?

I said before he came out of college that he reminded me of Brady because of his quick reads, movement in the pocket and general intelligence even when things break down. We know he's around the right coaches to get the best out of somebody like that.

One of the reason why I liked him coming out of Alabama was his accuracy, 77%+ in 2020. What none of us knew would be how this would be translated on the big stage.. it translated well, he will improve even more as time goes on.

Passing​

Passing
YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
*2018AlabamaSECFRQB651338.51239.511.010143.3
*2019AlabamaSECSOQB119714168.8150310.711.7143186.8
*2020AlabamaSECJRQB1331140277.4450011.212.8414203.1
CareerAlabama41355674.3612611.012.556719

Dugger, Uche, Onwenu in 2020 was a respectable haul. The 6th round Onwenu is obviously the steal of their picks. I have been high on Dugger, and he keeps getting better. Uche will be fine with time. He will be a mainstay once the older vets retire or move on (likely next year).

The first 4 picks of the draft this year were as good as you can get. Not only is it "Thank God we got Mac instead of the other QB's," but Thank Bill we didn't trade up for Mac. Had we done that and given up our 2nd round pick, no Christian Barmore! He is a stud.

I still like the Ronnie Perkins pick, and I believe he will have a presence after his redshirt year. And of course Rhamondre in the 4th. A battering ram who is an excellent pass catcher. He is a pain in the arse to tackle. Once pass protection is cleaned up, he is a #1.

Someone help me with Cameron McGrone. Did he get cut or is he on the PS?

The Pats drafted McGrone with the knowledge that he wouldn't play this year due to an injury. If he can return and hit his potential, he could be an absolute steal.

Last edited:
One of the reason why I liked him coming out of Alabama was his accuracy, 77%+ in 2020. What none of us knew would be how this would be translated on the big stage.. it translated well, he will improve even more as time goes on.

Passing​

Passing
YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
*2018AlabamaSECFRQB651338.51239.511.010143.3
*2019AlabamaSECSOQB119714168.8150310.711.7143186.8
*2020AlabamaSECJRQB1331140277.4450011.212.8414203.1
CareerAlabama41355674.3612611.012.556719

This is what drove me nuts about fake experts who actually know nothing. It is not easy to throw 77% completed passes in the SEC and he had all the elite deep passing stats too. Then you look at how he explains coverages in videos, or how he leads his teammates, then you realize maybe it wasn't him being led by Devonta and Waddle, it was the QB making the whole team look good.

I don't even get the idiotic knocks saying he's maybe another Kirk Cousins. Have you seen Kirk Cousins' production? That would be good. His closest comp is probably Brees (maybe P.Manning), it simply does not matter if you don't have the top-ranked rocket arm if you can lead every single snap with elite anticipation, timing, accuracy, and also leadership.

Last edited:
Reminds me of a young Drew Brees.
I was saying he reminds me of Drew Brees/Peyton Manning/Tom Brady. I see a lot of all 3 QBs in him. Tough comparison. When Brady first came on, people said they saw some Joe (Cool) Montana in him, except the running of course. Jones is tougher to peg as far as comparisons. A few weeks ago, someone compared a long pass down the sidelines to Bourne vs the Jets, and Brady made the same exact play in the Bucs game the same day. It was a split screen. It was so eerie how much he looked like Brady on that play.

I was saying he reminds me of Drew Brees/Peyton Manning/Tom Brady. I see a lot of all 3 QBs in him. Tough comparison. When Brady first came on, people said they saw some Joe (Cool) Montana in him, except the running of course. Jones is tougher to peg as far as comparisons. A few weeks ago, someone compared a long pass down the sidelines to Bourne vs the Jets, and Brady made the same exact play in the Bucs game the same day. It was a split screen. It was so eerie how much he looked like Brady on that play.

Point is it is ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS that the Pats got the best QB of the last 5 years and didn't trade up at all, and he's not broken in half yet by idiotic OLine choices through 10 weeks of the year.

If somehow we’re able to get some elite receivers in the next couple of years, like how manning got Harrison and Wayne, Mac could develop like Manning.

minus the postseason choking early on…

Mac has comparable passing numbers to Lamar, Tannehill, Carr
And he's better than Ryan, Big Ben, Baker - who would have ever guessed that as a rookie?

I did

Yeah I love the pick. Now it all depends how he does in the postseason which more than likely we will get in. I think he will be fine and the stage won't be too big for him.

Other than physical strength/maturity and playing experience in general, the biggest thing I think Mac needs to work on is his movement in the pocket. That said, as a rookie, it's already at a pretty high-level so we're picking nits here.

Sometimes he sits too deep in his drop and lets a rusher from the edge get him. You actually saw that play out in real time in the Cleveland game, when on one of the Pats' early offensive drives, Mac was sacked. Later in the game, in almost the same circumstance, he made a much more noticeable/deliberate slide-up into the pocket to avoid an edge rusher, and (if I remember correctly) it resulted in a completed pass the second time around.

As good as Brady is in every regard, his pocket presence has always been in a complete different stratosphere and might be his single best trait (relative to other QBs). He always knows exactly when/where/how to move. He knows when to shuffle slightly left or right, when to take half a step up, when to take a full step back, when to duck, when to bob, weave ... in a way that is just so, so consistently perfect and exacting.

To me, pocket presence and pocket movement are two unique (but interdependent) traits. Some are good at both, some are good at one or the other, and some are bad at both. Brady is good at both. Peyton was bad at both. Eli was good with pocket presence but not pocket movement. Brees was pretty good at both, but strikes me as someone who had better pocket movement than pocket presence.

The good news is that I think Mac's necessary improvements in this regard are almost entirely coachable/learnable, and aren't due to some fundamental lack of ability/talent.

Other than physical strength/maturity and playing experience in general, the biggest thing I think Mac needs to work on is his movement in the pocket. That said, as a rookie, it's already at a pretty high-level so we're picking nits here.

Sometimes he sits too deep in his drop and lets a rusher from the edge get him. You actually saw that play out in real time in the Cleveland game, when on one of the Pats' early offensive drives, Mac was sacked. Later in the game, in almost the same circumstance, he made a much more noticeable/deliberate slide-up into the pocket to avoid an edge rusher, and (if I remember correctly) it resulted in a completed pass the second time around.

As good as Brady is in every regard, his pocket presence has always been in a complete different stratosphere and might be his single best trait (relative to other QBs). He always knows exactly when/where/how to move. He knows when to shuffle slightly left or right, when to take half a step up, when to take a full step back, when to duck, when to bob, weave ... in a way that is just so, so consistently perfect and exacting.

To me, pocket presence and pocket movement are two unique (but interdependent) traits. Some are good at both, some are good at one or the other, and some are bad at both. Brady is good at both. Peyton was bad at both. Eli was good with pocket presence but not pocket movement. Brees was pretty good at both, but strikes me as someone who had better pocket movement than pocket presence.

The good news is that I think Mac's necessary improvements in this regard are almost entirely coachable/learnable, and aren't due to some fundamental lack of ability/talent.
Good post but disagree on Peyton Manning having bad pocket presence and movement.

His feet were always active. Always knew when to step up/slide and throw around the OL/DL.

He lost it quick in Denver but was elite in Indy.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back