PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones blowing away Patriots coaches and teammates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jakobi Meyers was quoted in an interview recently speaking of Mac Jones.

"He probably won’t run past everybody so throwing a catchable ball is definitely something that got him to where he is, and he’s blessed to have the arm talent he has. It’s definitely nice working with him. He does throw a catchable ball. All the guys, I feel like they’re here for a reason. I feel like that’s definitely one of the reasons he’s here.”

lol

That feels more like a low-key shot at Cam. I don't think I've ever heard a WR say something like that. Not In that context. I mean, isn't a "catchable ball" a prerequisite at the NFL level. Let alone the leading reason another QB was brought it. It could mean nothing, but I found it funny.

It isn’t funny, it is sad. Last year Cam couldn’t throw a catchable ball in the second half of the season.

Redshirting QBs was very common up until fairly recently (last 15-20 years), but teams are also looking for ROI because these first round QBs cost a lot of salary now in year one. Pre free agency, you drafted a guy and had career rights, often at a low salary, so why rush him in? Also, in today’s game there’s a clearer path for guys coming out of college to transition to starter in year 1…a more organized process.

I don’t know if there’s that much benefit to redshirting, provided a coach is comfortable with the QB’s confidence and development (BB obviously should be a good evaluator), but my point has always been that the “second year QB leap” is largely a myth, so once a quarterback is put onto the field, he pretty much is what he is. Sure, he’ll improve, but the vast majority of the time we’re talking about a +5 passer rating gain and not a +25 gain. The idea of tossing a QB to the wolves because he’ll learn from mistakes and come back stronger seems to run counter to overwhelming evidence.

This is a pretty naive take mostly because you ignore the main reason to redshirt a QB: having complete grasp of our system that depends hugely on making correct presnap reads.

Add in being on the same page with your options post snap when it comes to option routes and learning to read common disguises. That is a ****ton of film study and reps in that VR room the Pats have build. And ideally not something that should happen "on the go" while playing in meaningful games.

And he has to learn all this while McDaniels and BB are still working on his fundamentals.

Can you put Jones in if Cam gets injured or completely falls apart ? Sure, but expect a lot of half-field reads and an offense that will not leverage the talent it has to the max because it will have to accommodate a QB who is still growing.

Any game Cam can sustain as an above average QB and keep the ship on playoff course is a win for Mac Jones and his development. He will be the starter next year and that is ideally when you want him ready.

Now could Jones have a remarkable ability to absorb all this in record speed and also apply it on the field immediately ? Sure, but then we have a potential HoF player on our hands because it would be nearly unprecedented.

Realistically Jones has no way to win the competition against Cam. But Newton can lose it if he made no substantial strides compared to last year.

This is a pretty naive take mostly because you ignore the main reason to redshirt a QB: having complete grasp of our system that depends hugely on making correct presnap reads.

Add in being on the same page with your options post snap when it comes to option routes and learning to read common disguises. That is a ****ton of film study and reps in that VR room the Pats have build. And ideally not something that should happen "on the go" while playing in meaningful games.

And he has to learn all this while McDaniels and BB are still working on his fundamentals.

Can you put Jones in if Cam gets injured or completely falls apart ? Sure, but expect a lot of half-field reads and an offense that will not leverage the talent it has to the max because it will have to accommodate a QB who is still growing.

Any game Cam can sustain as an above average QB and keep the ship on playoff course is a win for Mac Jones and his development. He will be the starter next year and that is ideally when you want him ready.

Now could Jones have a remarkable ability to absorb all this in record speed and also apply it on the field immediately ? Sure, but then we have a potential HoF player on our hands because it would be nearly unprecedented.

Realistically Jones has no way to win the competition against Cam. But Newton can lose it if he made no substantial strides compared to last year.

You don’t even read the posts you’re responding to.

You don’t even read the posts you’re responding to.

I do and most of your recent ones are mostly trash.

Between claiming we are far from competing even though we have one of the better rosters in the league or coming with up with a shortsighted idea to field a rookie QB who has just recently started to learn our playbook there really is not much substantial stuff in them.

Especially once you start Madden-izing the ability of players into cooked up numbers (+5 passer rating 2nd year jump mumbojumbo) you keep pulling out of your ass.

I see the Bradyites have crawled out from under their rock...don't they have their own forum?

I do and most of your recent ones are mostly trash.

Between claiming we are far from competing even though we have one of the better rosters in the league or coming with up with a shortsighted idea to field a rookie QB who has just recently started to learn our playbook there really is not much substantial stuff in them.

Especially once you start Madden-izing the ability of players into cooked up numbers (+5 passer rating 2nd year jump mumbojumbo) you keep pulling out of your ass.

Take a nap, bro.

Take a nap, bro.

That more or less the insight and substance of most of your posts summed up in a sentence.

Keep writing more ******** about there being more financial pressure now on playing rookie QBs early, when before the 2011 CBA the early picks were even more expensive in total and relative terms (as a fraction of the cap).

That more or less the insight and substance of most of your posts summed up in a sentence.

Keep writing more ******** about there being more financial pressure now on playing rookie QBs early, when before the 2011 CBA the early picks were even more expensive in total and relative terms (as a fraction of the cap).

I see you’ve reverted to dishonest straw man arguments. I wonder why no one wants to engage with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots