Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: vs 49ers
Pick Results: SF: 38.2% at NE: 61.8%
Sun
Oct 25th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Galeb

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
I've actually been following this thread and I've been working on it as well. Like Kontra, I find myself waking up a lot so I'm not as well rested. But the biggest side effect for me during the course of the day (other than fatigue from interrupted sleeping) is that I'm a lot more calm and circumspect. I don't really get nearly as anxious about problems, say, at work than I did before. I'm keeping an eye on this to see how it all plays out.
Acceptance and mindfulness... fricken awesome. I'm glad this has helped you. Such things will make lucid dreaming, and real life hardship easier. I applaud your development!

A Defiant Goose

In the Starting Line-Up
Anecdote time.

In basic training, I was "dorm chief." So basically I was pseudo-in charge (more accurately pseudo-responsible) of the whole flight. Well, throughout the night we have dorm guard duty shifts. Since every now and then we'd have a guy who would **** up the dorm entry procedures, and since I'm "responsible" for him, I was assigned the task of doing dorm guard duty from 2:30AM to 4:30AM every single night. So on top of the sleep deprivation we all go through, I was stuck with only 4.5 hours of sleep every single night and it was really bogging down on me.

So reveille usually goes off at 4:45AM. So I had about 15 minutes to take a power nap at the end of my shift. Well one time I went into bed and fell right the **** asleep. Thing is my training instructor ended up hovering over my bed (from the foot of my bed) and started yelling "WAKE UP!!! WAKE THE **** UP!!!" shaking my bed and banging it up and down and I sat there completely still laying down trying to scream "I CAN'T" and eventually me trying to scream turned into a ******ed groan and I finally sat up.

Turns out, there was no drill instructor there. Only 2 minutes had gone by. What I thought was my drill instructor was actually my uniform hanging on my locker. My whole body was numb, couldn't breathe, it was a ****ing nightmare. Sleep exhaustion goes a long way into those kinds of ****ed up dreams.

The other night I was trying something out cause I had looked up a video about lucid dreaming. I laid completely flat on my back and closed my eyes but couldn't sleep. Didn't move a single muscle, just sat in complete silence and darkness. Eventually I said **** it and tried to roll over, had that same exact feeling I did in boot camp. It was creepy.

Now that I think of it, I think this is more of a sleep paralysis thing than lucid dreaming. Sleep paralysis sucks. Lucid dreaming's awesome. Nothing better than having a terrible nightmare and saying "Wait a minute, this is just a dream, you can't hurt me, I'm gonna ***** slap you real quick and then wake up cause I'm hungry."

Joker

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
You want lucid dreams? LSD 25. The problem is, Owsley is long gone and no one makes it anymore. Not even Sandoz.

You find yourself waking up many times at night? Hard to get a long stretch of rem state sleep? RUN to your primary and have a sleep test done. Sleep apnea is not only extremely under diagnosed in our country, it's also RAMPANT.

Nikolai

Football Atheist
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2020 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
Can't you see what he was talking about, though? It's almost kind of an addictive feeling when you make it happen. I, too, am waking up more well rested and less stressed. I'm continuing to work on it but I'm still struggling with the excitement of realizing that I nailed it and waking up far too often.

I don't have an addictive personality per se, but I'm finding some elements of this fascinating and want to do more. But, like you, I get too excited and throw myself from the dream.

But I definitely have a brighter outlook. I'm not sure if it's a false optimism or simply not ascribing a negative emotion reaction to whatever happens that is supposedly bad. I find myself more instinctively jumping to the ideas of solutions rather than assessing the damage done by a negative outcome. I need to think on it a bit more, because I've tended to be solution oriented anyway, but just not as a "fast-twitch" reflex.

Nikolai

Football Atheist
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Anecdote time.

In basic training, I was "dorm chief." So basically I was pseudo-in charge (more accurately pseudo-responsible) of the whole flight. Well, throughout the night we have dorm guard duty shifts. Since every now and then we'd have a guy who would **** up the dorm entry procedures, and since I'm "responsible" for him, I was assigned the task of doing dorm guard duty from 2:30AM to 4:30AM every single night. So on top of the sleep deprivation we all go through, I was stuck with only 4.5 hours of sleep every single night and it was really bogging down on me.

So reveille usually goes off at 4:45AM. So I had about 15 minutes to take a power nap at the end of my shift. Well one time I went into bed and fell right the **** asleep. Thing is my training instructor ended up hovering over my bed (from the foot of my bed) and started yelling "WAKE UP!!! WAKE THE **** UP!!!" shaking my bed and banging it up and down and I sat there completely still laying down trying to scream "I CAN'T" and eventually me trying to scream turned into a ******ed groan and I finally sat up.

Turns out, there was no drill instructor there. Only 2 minutes had gone by. What I thought was my drill instructor was actually my uniform hanging on my locker. My whole body was numb, couldn't breathe, it was a ****ing nightmare. Sleep exhaustion goes a long way into those kinds of ****ed up dreams.

The other night I was trying something out cause I had looked up a video about lucid dreaming. I laid completely flat on my back and closed my eyes but couldn't sleep. Didn't move a single muscle, just sat in complete silence and darkness. Eventually I said **** it and tried to roll over, had that same exact feeling I did in boot camp. It was creepy.

Now that I think of it, I think this is more of a sleep paralysis thing than lucid dreaming. Sleep paralysis sucks. Lucid dreaming's awesome. Nothing better than having a terrible nightmare and saying "Wait a minute, this is just a dream, you can't hurt me, I'm gonna ***** slap you real quick and then wake up cause I'm hungry."

I had something similar in basic. I was the "platoon sergeant" and had pretty much a lot of the same responsibilities. It only happened one time about a third of the way through, but I went to sleep and woke to Drill Sergeants blowing whistles and running around the room. I tried to throw myself off the top bunk and finally did with a thump on the floor. Except then, I woke up and realized I was still in my bed. It happened a half-dozen times that night, a six hour span, but the whole experience felt like it lasted 24 or more hours.

KontradictioN

Probably the nicest guy on the forum
PatsFans.com Supporter
Anecdote time.

Only time I got sleep paralysis, I had a vision of a dark figure entering the room, kneeling next to me, and breathing heavily. I couldn't move but was fully aware of what was happening. It was ****ing terrifying.

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Experienced this for the first time last night after reading this thread and my brain referenced this conversation. The hands thing definitely works, as it helped center my apparent thoughts, although I was still all over the place and only manipulated it the right way a couple of times. When I woke up, I was definitely a little thrown so I get what @Galeb was saying there. I'll have to update the next time but, yeah...definitely pretty crazy.

KontradictioN

PatsFans.com Supporter
Nailed it last night without waking up. I dreamed that I found myself on a ferry out in Baltimore with two friends, one a good one and the other one that I haven't seen in over a year. Anyway, I told them that I had to get off the ferry because, one, it was raining and, two, I had to be at work and didn't have enough time to wait for it to dock. They both laughed (as they would) and asked me what time I had to be at work. I looked down at my watch and the practice worked. My brain registered that I was in a dream and I took over from there. I materialized on the shore, away from the ferry. Next thing I know, I constructed my grandparents' old house and sat at the table to have a conversation with my grandfather (who died in 2012) over a couple of beers. He used to drink O'Douls and he was drinking that here too. We talked about work, life, and how things are going in general. It was surreal and very powerful. I woke up in a huff at first (as I tend to do when this happens) but I feel extremely well rested and alert today. I didn't engage in any fantasy, per se. Just that. I think if I can do it tonight, I'll fly and construct locations as I go. Sounds silly but I love flying in those things.

KontradictioN

PatsFans.com Supporter
Got it a couple of more times since my last post. The first time, I did exactly what I said I would. Flew, indulged in a little fantasy, and constructed. Pretty cool. Got it again last night. This time, I created a situation where my girlfriend broke up with me. What I created was my girlfriend in looks but, personality-wise, I turned her into my buddy's ex who tried to change him constantly through the failed relationship which caused a lot of fights. Every time they would fight, she broke up with him until she did it one time too many. Now he's engaged to be married and she lives by herself somewhere in Orlando and was battling depression last I heard. Anyway, I turned my girlfriend into her and had her unexpectedly break up with me. As a result, I went through all of the emotions: shock, sadness, anger, loss, depression, and, finally, confidence, as I picked myself back up in the dream and got back out there. However, when I woke up, I didn't feel as I thought I would when exploring something like this. When I woke up, I first felt a powerful sense of loss as, in my waking life, I would never want what I have to end. It took a few minutes for me to realize that I was back in reality before I overcame that feeling. It was as if half of my subconscious thought I was still in the dream and the other half was coming to grips with the fact that I was back in the real world. Not sure. Either way, I have to say that it was a very strange but very worthwhile experience.. Not sure what spectrum of emotion I'll toy with next or if I'll just engage in some fantasy again, but I'll keep you guys up to date.

Galeb

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Got it a couple of more times since my last post. The first time, I did exactly what I said I would. Flew, indulged in a little fantasy, and constructed. Pretty cool. Got it again last night. This time, I created a situation where my girlfriend broke up with me. What I created was my girlfriend in looks but, personality-wise, I turned her into my buddy's ex who tried to change him constantly through the failed relationship which caused a lot of fights. Every time they would fight, she broke up with him until she did it one time too many. Now he's engaged to be married and she lives by herself somewhere in Orlando and was battling depression last I heard. Anyway, I turned my girlfriend into her and had her unexpectedly break up with me. As a result, I went through all of the emotions: shock, sadness, anger, loss, depression, and, finally, confidence, as I picked myself back up in the dream and got back out there. However, when I woke up, I didn't feel as I thought I would when exploring something like this. When I woke up, I first felt a powerful sense of loss as, in my waking life, I would never want what I have to end. It took a few minutes for me to realize that I was back in reality before I overcame that feeling. It was as if half of my subconscious thought I was still in the dream and the other half was coming to grips with the fact that I was back in the real world. Not sure. Either way, I have to say that it was a very strange but very worthwhile experience.. Not sure what spectrum of emotion I'll toy with next or if I'll just engage in some fantasy again, but I'll keep you guys up to date.
It is good to see that others have similar experiences. Manifesting living people I know rarely yielded positive results in the dream world, and have long since abandoned that practice.

I applaud you willingness to confront your own fears. It will likely yield better results when not manifesting living people that you know. Your mastery comes quickly. Don't forget to be gentle with yourself sometimes.

KontradictioN

PatsFans.com Supporter
Realizing that you are dreaming is the first step. The best way I know of to realize you are dreaming is to get into a mode, for all states of consciousness, that you question reality and whether you are dreaming. With apps and cell phone/fitbit notifications you can get reminders every 10 minute (this can be used for many spiritual practices besides this, even multiple practices in a list).

The other hard part is remaining asleep after you become lucid. The first thing is too stay calm. If you get too excited, you trigger your sympathetic system, which almost always wakes the dreamer. Of all the tricks I read, the only one that worked consistently for me was looking at my hands until it became obvious that I wasn't waking. In my experience, this was much easier than realizing I was dreaming.

Remembering dreams and getting a "feel" for what your dream world is like also helps one realize when they are dreaming. Keep a dream journal, and also make a point to remember and record your dreams each time you wake up at night. Do it without movement as the more you move, the more you forget. Not only will this aid in realizing you are dreaming, it can provide tremendous insight once you can reliable decipher what your dreams are trying to tell you.

Some people get addicted to lucid dreaming, and when used in such excess can cause significant damage. Another aspect is that constantly manipulating dreams prevents the normal function of dreams. Dreams during the first cycle through the stages for sleep are where we convert short term memories into long term memories, a critical skill for a variety of reasons. our dreams are also our unconscious mind's most direct method of communication with the conscious mind. Tremendous insight can be gleaned from recognizing the significance of, and deciphering the messages of our dreams.

From personal experience, I can confirm that too frequent manipulation of lucid dreams for indulgence can cause significant damage. It inflated my ego to ridiculous proportions and significantly contributed to a severe dissatisfaction with the world around me. It took a long time to overcome this.

I encourage anyone to explore not just lucid dreaming, but their dream world in general. I also urge caution, and to do so more with the intent of personal growth and development rather than the attempted fulfillment of real world desires.

I think I hopefully got a handle on this last night. Quick background - there are two recurring places in my dreams, the home I grew up in and a mall that kind of resembles the mall in my hometown but it’s mostly empty now and it is very empty in my dreams. Both are haunted/have a very bad energy in my dreams. In real life, the wife is 30 weeks pregnant and is having a very hard time falling and staying asleep, so she will often wake me up when she rolls over, gets up to pee, etc. So I’m waking up multiple times a night, the last of which was around 3:00 AM last night. I drifted back off and ended up at the old mall.

My neighborhood gets a TON of trick or treaters. We go through around 6K pieces of candy by the end of the night. So we dress up every year. The dream was about me at the mall trying to find a costume, but the one place that was open was a fishing apparel store which, for some reason, had a couple of Halloween costumes, but nothing that I liked. The mall is all but closed down now. No more stores to buy a costume. So I head back to the fishing apparel store, attempting to salvage the trip. The store is no longer there. Disappointed, I sit on a bench and whip out my iPhone to Google the nearest Spirit Halloween. The iPhone “clicks” like it normally does when I try to open it, but the screen is blank. Then it hits me.

I said out loud “I’m dreaming” and immediately levitated in the air. I tried to fly out of the buttressed roof of the mall, but there was no windows. So I created windows, but decided not to fly out of it. I wanted to experiment a little bit. Seeing that I was able to construct windows in the ceiling, I constructed stores around me. I don’t really remember what kind of stores, but it was nothing “edgy.” Just retail. Then I created people. A whole crowd of them. But then they annoyed me immediately so I destroyed and did away with all of them. Not sure why I did that since I dislike crowds. But I digress. Anyway, I went to one of the stores I created to buy a costume, but I was confronted by my high school Geometry teacher (who I haven’t seen in 16 years). He was aggressive. I used telekinesis on him. I lifted his body, threw it onto a metal bench nearby, wrapped the bench around his body, and launched him out of one of the windows that I created in the ceiling. To my surprise, he got out of it. This was a big man in real life. About 6’6”, north of 300 lbs. He literally looked like a bear. I knew I had to destroy him so I flew out the window and confronted him. I was hovering in the air, he was on the ground. I flew straight at him as fast as I could to land the death blow... and then my ****ing alarm clock went off.

Still, it was pretty bad ass. Even if I could never get a handle on how to do it every night, it’s still pretty cool when it actually happens.

Reactions: Ian

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
I think I hopefully got a handle on this last night. Quick background - there are two recurring places in my dreams, the home I grew up in and a mall that kind of resembles the mall in my hometown but it’s mostly empty now and it is very empty in my dreams. Both are haunted/have a very bad energy in my dreams. In real life, the wife is 30 weeks pregnant and is having a very hard time falling and staying asleep, so she will often wake me up when she rolls over, gets up to pee, etc. So I’m waking up multiple times a night, the last of which was around 3:00 AM last night. I drifted back off and ended up at the old mall.

My neighborhood gets a TON of trick or treaters. We go through around 6K pieces of candy by the end of the night. So we dress up every year. The dream was about me at the mall trying to find a costume, but the one place that was open was a fishing apparel store which, for some reason, had a couple of Halloween costumes, but nothing that I liked. The mall is all but closed down now. No more stores to buy a costume. So I head back to the fishing apparel store, attempting to salvage the trip. The store is no longer there. Disappointed, I sit on a bench and whip out my iPhone to Google the nearest Spirit Halloween. The iPhone “clicks” like it normally does when I try to open it, but the screen is blank. Then it hits me.

I said out loud “I’m dreaming” and immediately levitated in the air. I tried to fly out of the buttressed roof of the mall, but there was no windows. So I created windows, but decided not to fly out of it. I wanted to experiment a little bit. Seeing that I was able to construct windows in the ceiling, I constructed stores around me. I don’t really remember what kind of stores, but it was nothing “edgy.” Just retail. Then I created people. A whole crowd of them. But then they annoyed me immediately so I destroyed and did away with all of them. Not sure why I did that since I dislike crowds. But I digress. Anyway, I went to one of the stores I created to buy a costume, but I was confronted by my high school Geometry teacher (who I haven’t seen in 16 years). He was aggressive. I used telekinesis on him. I lifted his body, threw it onto a metal bench nearby, wrapped the bench around his body, and launched him out of one of the windows that I created in the ceiling. To my surprise, he got out of it. This was a big man in real life. About 6’6”, north of 300 lbs. He literally looked like a bear. I knew I had to destroy him so I flew out the window and confronted him. I was hovering in the air, he was on the ground. I flew straight at him as fast as I could to land the death blow... and then my ****ing alarm clock went off.

Still, it was pretty bad ass. Even if I could never get a handle on how to do it every night, it’s still pretty cool when it actually happens.

when the pregnancy for my youngest, I had recurring dreams (they were actually nightmares) of him being stillborn ....... then in reality, in the hospital room on the big day, panic ensued when they lost his heartbeat.......people and machines flocked into the room as I sank into a corner, crying......then I heard him and all was good ... it was the only of my childs births that I didn't pass out or stagger off with dry heaves......he's different from the rest........this is what he's like

IcyPatriot

Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Do it nightly ... lots of fun ... even got to munch 2 nights ago ... and my tongue never got tired LOL.:p

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Experienced this for the first time last night after reading this thread and my brain referenced this conversation. The hands thing definitely works, as it helped center my apparent thoughts, although I was still all over the place and only manipulated it the right way a couple of times. When I woke up, I was definitely a little thrown so I get what @Galeb was saying there. I'll have to update the next time but, yeah...definitely pretty crazy.

so the mean ugly nasty dude WAS actually under your bed the entire time, just lying there, waiting for a sign

betterthanthealternative

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Cool thread! Glad to find it.

I woke at 4:30 this morning , then decided to get another hour sleep at 6:30. I woke at 7:30 in the middle of a dream where I was driving with my little dog (7 pounds) and he had to pee so I had to pull over in a slightly dangerous spot on a highway and let him climb up a hill into a forested area. He found a narrow cave in the dirt to go in, which I found odd. Then I woke up to find him in bed with me, franticly running around inside a small cave of blankets, because he had to pee and can't get down from the bed on his own.

And on the other subject, LSD was too intense to use regularly but man am I excited about the coming legalization and regulation of psilocybin.