PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

LT Trent Brown will cost too much to resign?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hese guys most of the time want to get paid to the highest bider in FA. Who can blame them.

I can, once the money gets past the 'set for life' stage. When you're banking, say, $10m per at a place you like, you're an idiot to move on to somewhere else, and do the same job at a place you're unsure of, just for an extra million or two a year.

Houston fans are screaming and begging for the Texans to sign brown.

They are even willing to cut watt to get more money.

Really hard to think brown won’t chase the money.

Houston fans are screaming and begging for the Texans to sign brown.

They are even willing to cut watt to get more money.
Naturally, they are. We’re talking about Texans fans.

I feel the exact same way about him.

Scar spoke highly of him but also said he seemed to need to keep Brown on his toes as opposed to Thuney who Scar said will do anything to get better.

I want him back but I don't want them to open up the vault for him.
No way they are going to open up the vault for him on a competitive long term deal. He’s had some weight issues, some problems with inconsistency, and some whispers about being lazy and half-assing it at times.

If NE keeps him, it will likely be on a shorter 2-3 year deal. As a matter of fact, I think a lot of teams may feel that way. There’s always that one team who overpays, but I don’t think the market’s quite as hot as some are envisioning. We’ll see next month.

We have Two Second Rounders and Three Third Rounders. Would anyone be surprised if we took another Offensive Tackle with one of those picks?? I really like Mount Brown a lot but not at $10Mill especially with a First Round Draft pick in the wings. One positive in the Wynn situation is that his injury happened last Training Camp. We couldn't ask for a better scenario.

When Brown goes to the highest bidder we would get a nice Third Round Compensatory selection. :cool:

It's amazing how we can field a team when every player who has a good season can't possibly be signed.
Also amazing is the way fans act like it's their own money.

We can count on Wynn for exactly nothing until we know he's healthy. If he's gimping around out there and we let Brown go, people will be woulda-coulda-shoulda-ing all over this forum, and you all know I'm right.

The older Brady gets the more criticial it is that we don't play games with out offensive line personnel. Tom Brady is officially one bad hit away from retirement at this point in his career. Do NOT mess with the O-Line unnecessarily until you're ready to replace at quarterback.

Last edited:
I agree.

The #1 priority should be to protect the franchise. Having more than one possible LT is really OK. The plan will NOT be to spend half a year developing a LT. Brady may not survive such a strategy.

We can count on Wynn for exactly nothing until we know he's healthy. If he's gimping around out there and we let Brown go, people will be woulda-coulda-shoulda-ing all over this forum, and you all know I'm right.

The older Brady gets the more criticial it is that we don't play games with out offensive line personnel. Tom Brady is officially one bad hit away from retirement at this point in his career. Do NOT mess with the O-Line unnecessarily until you're ready to replace at quarterback.

I agree.

The #1 priority should be to protect the franchise. Having more than one possible LT is really OK. The plan will NOT be to spend half a year developing a LT. Brady may not survive such a strategy.
Agreed. They may or may not actually bring Brown back but one thing I know they won't do is drop the fate of their franchise centerpiece on Wynn's unproven shoulders just because it might work.

Whether Brown is the plan or a replacement veteran is the plan, there will be a plan and Wynn will be eased in, not thrown into the fire with Brady's continued playing career on his shoulders.

These things have a way of working themselves out. Not going to worry about it. I’ll let the Pats figure it out because their track record speaks for itself and that’s what they are paid to do. Nobody does it better.

I agree.

Welcome to 2017. They were fine last year, they will be fine this year with Wynn as LT after Brown moves to whoever bids the most.

I think we need to re-sign Trent Brown because the rewards > risks. He's a pretty damn good pass blocker (definitely better than Solder was) and Brady really needs a good pass blocker protecting him due to his age.

Plus, there are still questions of whether Wynn is going to be a LT or a guard in the long term, dude is on the small side for a tackle. If we let Joe Thuney walk after the end of next season we could just shift Wynn to LG if the team deems him too small to be a LT.

DRAFT GUIDE: Arif Hasan's Consensus Board | Zone Coverage

Isaiah Wynn was a consensus top 20 pick & many draftniks considered his tape near flawless. If he was a couple inches taller he probably gets drafted top 5-10. He was announced as a tackle on draft night and also listed as one on the Patriots board in one of the team’s behind the scenes videos on their website.

I’ll be surprised if the Pats overpay a good but not great LT with Wynn in waiting. They know where he is on his recovery timetable right now.

Isaiah Wynn was a consensus top 20 pick & many draftniks considered his tape near flawless. If he was a couple inches taller he probably gets drafted top 5-10. He was announced as a tackle on draft night and also listed as one on the Patriots board in one of the team’s behind the scenes videos on their website.

I’ll be surprised if the Pats overpay a good but not great LT with Wynn in waiting. They know where he is on his recovery timetable right now.

He graded out just about equal with Quenton Nelson in his Senior yr. Going to be watching his return closely.

Ok. We have a player who was a consensus top 20 pick a year ago, and listed as an OG. He looked good in camp, and spent his rookie year on IR.

How does this mean that we are ready to count on Wynn to protect Brady on Day 1, with Waddle as the backup, or perhaps with a Tobin type vet as a backup?
=============
I certainly hope that Wynn is ready to be one of our 6 starter quality OL's by Game 1. The OL is the key to the season. We want Brady protected, and to continue to have a fine running game. The one thing that we do NOT want to do is to create a potential weakness at the 2nd most important position on the field.

OK, I get it. Brown might want way too much. Then Belichick will be spending a draft pick to trade for another Brown. And he still might use a high draft pick for an OT for the future. I would much rather overpay Brown a bit, and not have to worry about the OT position for the foreseeable future. I expect that Brady would appreciate this. The offense will be a top offense with Edelman and the new crew of WR's.

Ok. We have a player who was a consensus top 20 pick a year ago, and listed as an OG. He looked good in camp, and spent his rookie year on IR.

How does this mean that we are ready to count on Wynn to protect Brady on Day 1, with Waddle as the backup, or perhaps with a Tobin type vet as a backup?
=============
I certainly hope that Wynn is ready to be one of our 6 starter quality OL's by Game 1. The OL is the key to the season. We want Brady protected, and to continue to have a fine running game. The one thing that we do NOT want to do is to create a potential weakness at the 2nd most important position on the field.

OK, I get it. Brown might want way too much. Then Belichick will be spending a draft pick to trade for another Brown. And he still might use a high draft pick for an OT for the future. I would much rather overpay Brown a bit, and not have to worry about the OT position for the foreseeable future. I expect that Brady would appreciate this. The offense will be a top offense with Edelman and the new crew of WR's.

=============

these are definitely some good points. So I assume you would re-sign Brown if you had to decide between Brown and Flowers?

Also, we're almost injury free at OL. I count playing more than half a season for Cannon as injury free. :p

Steve Balestrieri has a great column, as usual, and at the end he lists all free agents. There are over twenty but, besides the big 2, most are possibly replaceable giving the Pats excellent leverage. The toughest, in terms of proven performance, are the two kickers, and kickers are relatively cheap. Their usual pracitice is to sign this type of role player early and affordable. After that, it's competition with all draft picks or street free agents.

Looked at like that, having 2 big free agent issues doesn't seem so bad. List of Fas at end of article.

these are definitely some good points. So I assume you would re-sign Brown if you had to decide between Brown and Flowers?

I’m just wondering why it has to be Brown? LT’s dont grow on trees but they get paid a forest of money.

Could go with a hungry lineman looking to be part of a winner? Give Joe Thomas a call? <Jking. Just not sure if its a good idea to give that much to position.

Luckily for me, the tough decisions are with BB. It’s a tough call.

Yes I would take Brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey