PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lovie Smith - Hypothetical Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked both Matt Patricia and Lovie Smith about this prospect by phone today. Here were their responses:

Patricia: "Coach Belichick hasn't said anything at all to me about replacing me with someone else. Besides, I'm not in the habit of responding to speculation on Internet message boards."

Smith: "No, I'm not interested in working as defensive coordinator for the Patriots. They have a coordinator, as far as I am aware, and Bill Belichick's system is much different from what I would install. Besides, I have feelers out for some of the other head coaching vacancies, including Buffalo. Please, don't ever bother me again for reaction to lame-brain fan speculation on the Internet. I'm sure Romeo Crennel would have the same reaction. Idiots."

I asked both Matt Patricia and Lovie Smith about this prospect by phone today. Here were their responses:

Patricia: "Coach Belichick hasn't said anything at all to me about replacing me with someone else. Besides, I'm not in the habit of responding to speculation on Internet message boards."

Smith: "No, I'm not interested in working as defensive coordinator for the Patriots. They have a coordinator, as far as I am aware, and Bill Belichick's system is much different from what I would install. Besides, I have feelers out for some of the other head coaching vacancies, including Buffalo. Please, don't ever bother me again for reaction to lame-brain fan speculation on the Internet. I'm sure Romeo Crennel would have the same reaction. Idiots."

I was in the rooms sitting by both individuals when these calls were made and can verify the above quotes.

HELL NO. this guy sucks. I've had the distinct displeasure of watching almost all Chicago Bears games for the past 18 years. He's terrible and nothing like BB.

- Makes the dumbest challenges i have ever seen. Nobody is worse at it than Lovie
- Doesn't appear to teach situational football or make any adjustments. (see SB vs Colts where he was happy to be there playing his buddy)
- From Tampa 2 Dungy tree.
- Is a "players coach" and takes it easy on the team. That's why the players are all crying about him getting fired (see Devin Hester)
- ruined the best punt/kick returner in NFL history by desperately trying to make him a WR

Last edited:
I think we let it ride with Patricia and stop with the talk of replacing him. I think BB trusts McDaniels and TFB to run the offense. Allowing BB the time to mold the defense into exactly what he wants it to be, considering we have young personnel and staff .. And if Patricia is as smart as everyone says he is, he is perfect for the role he is in.

He wouldn't fit here. Completely different scheme. But, I don't think Lovie is a bad coach. I don't think he deserved to be fired. If it wasn't for Rex Grossman single handily giving the colts the super bowl he'd probably have a ring.

Last edited:
We have a good incumbent groomed by our head coach.
This candidate isn't a schematic fit with what we do here.
Are we just throwing out big names because it seems like a sexy thing to do?

What is it with some people.

Two years ago it was Bill O'Brien that was no good but Josh comes back so they have to look elsewhere to find somebody who they feel is not good enough. It seems like there has to be a DC or OC that isn't good enough all the time.

The Patriots have been in the Superbowl twice in five seasons, they have averaged over 12 wins a season over the last 3 years but still people want new coaches. Like wtf?

Last edited:
The Patriots have been in the Superbowl twice in five seasons, they have averaged over 12 wins a season over the last 3 years but still people want new coaches. Like wtf?

We haven't won a Super Bowl. Some people aren't satisfied without another Lombardi. Fortunately, that includes BB.

That being said, it is very, very hard to do. Look at the Bills. Lost four in a row.

Even just winning 12 games in the NFL ain't easy. Tom Coughlin said that winning TEN games wasn't easy at the end of 2010:

Coughlin response of 10 Win season - YouTube
“From the bottom of my heart and everybody’s, we have a 10-and-6 season, a 10-win season in the NFL, okay?” Coughlin said. “They can kiss my ass, okay? They can line up and kiss my ass. It’s not an easy thing to do.”
At that point, one of the players interjected, “Can we quote you on that, Coach?” To which Coughlin replied, “You can quote me on a lot more than that. The priest is here or I’d say a few more things.”

Of course the following year they didn't even win ten and wound up as SB Champs. (Anyone know if Kyle Williams got a ring from the Giants?)

A lot has to go right to make it happen.

What is it with some people.

Two years ago it was Bill O'Brien that was no good but Josh comes back so they have to look elsewhere to find somebody who they feel is not good enough. It seems like there has to be a DC or OC that isn't good enough all the time.

Better yet it's most often failed well known retreads who haven't ever won a thing...and often guys who run different schemes whom we've beat like a drum... Wtf indeed.

HELL NO. this guy sucks. I've had the distinct displeasure of watching almost all Chicago Bears games for the past 18 years. He's terrible and nothing like BB.

- Makes the dumbest challenges i have ever seen. Nobody is worse at it than Lovie
- Doesn't appear to teach situational football or make any adjustments. (see SB vs Colts where he was happy to be there playing his buddy)
- From Tampa 2 Dungy tree.
- Is a "players coach" and takes it easy on the team. That's why the players are all crying about him getting fired (see Devin Hester)
- ruined the best punt/kick returner in NFL history by desperately trying to make him a WR

Keegs old man, where you been???

Read a piece yesterday that claimed that Lovie was the reason Rex hung on so long and once he gave up he was the driving force behind the trade for Cutler...

As in the swamp when you get the guy who hired you fired you shouldn't be far behind him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey