PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Looking ahead: Mainly Speculation on next years draft FA...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jct

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
OK so the obvious is we MUST resign MOSS...not so obvious is will we get a small home town discount from him...but I say yes as he would give himself a shot at best ever WR by staying with TB.

Sad to say it but I speculate that we will let a lot of players go in FA this coming year, we will offer market value but other teams WILL offer above market value and we may see Samuel,Stallworth,Wilson,Seau,Bruschi,Gay,Gaffney,Washington,T Brown leave if they wont play for NE money. So we could well net 4 CP picks out of that.

Speculate that it is possible that we trade for Chad Johnson...depending on Stallworth,Gaffney,Washington and T Brown departing. (Just IMAGINE Brady plus #1 AND 2 WR in the league)

Frankly, I can't estimate the strength of a future draft class. However one of these years we will have a good class where BB will deem it prudent to borrow from the future to buy what's available now. It only makes sense from an economic point of view.

So speculate with me about what our draft needs should be???

ILB,CB,OL,P,RB,STer and of course TE (not necessarily in that order)
Right now we have 1,2,3,3,4,5,6,7 I do believe.

BB was careful how he worded the Dillion situation this year.
He said he was happy with the 4 RBs we had now.
Frankly Faulk is an OK JAG, and Maroney has been hurt more than average.
I fully expect that we may well see Dillion back at some point this year, you may disagree with that but can you argue that he would contribute less than Heath Evans...I think not???
We do need to focus more with a balanced running attack don't you agree???

But with C Jackson taking Rivers spot on the roster is it possible that we will see WRs getting MORE involved in the running game...sweeps or more blocking???
But with Gaffney and Washington contributing just 12 catches between them so far, it is hard to imagine C Jackson and T Brown not offerring a big upside possibly???

Also last year it seemed an interesting strategy that the RATS traded up to select who they wanted...Seeing that most of our picks were unable to make the team last year and not to 2nd guess BB and SP but its seems too bad we didn't bundle a few of those and grab a more coveted player (the LB we wanted had 20 tackles last week (Harris NY RATS I think?)...but hey the way they did it they could have hit a diamond in the rough or put the right guy into our player development channel who knows??? (I'm certainly happy about stockpiling the extra 1st and 3rd for this year)

Hate me for saying this but I think it is now 50/50 that we go 16-0...
(I'm just happy that SHULA is crapping his DIAPER in fear right now...)

This week should see a lot less players in the NFL go on IR
(we have a bye week)...

YOUR THOUGHTS????

OUR NE PATRIOTS!!! (I'm a MAINIAC but you probably suspected that)
:eat1: :eat2: :eat3:

This is Seau's last stop. Bru negotiates his own deals with the Pats.Why would he pull a Willie McG when he can retire here and move right into the coaching heirarchy?
Samuels is gone.Gay? What kind of market is there for a player like Gay, with his injury history? Stallworth is 50/50...if they don't lowball him, I think he'd stick...he's settled in nicely so far. Troy Brown retires a Patriot. No question.Gaffney? eh..whatever.Washington so far is a JAG. who cares...

just my two cents

I like the idea behind this thread, and I appreciate your energy, but...there's a lot of dopiness in this post. Sorry. So there's that.

I'm no big fan of Heath Evans but he DEFINITELY does "more" than Corey Dillon. (It's Dillon, by the way, not "Dillion" - I realize you're not alone in this error, but can we please get the names of the players right?) Evans blocks as a FB, gets goal-line carries (not good at it, but he fills that role) and, most relevant, PLAYS SPECIAL TEAMS. Corey can ONLY be a feature-ish back who gets short-yardage carries. He brings NOTHING but that to the table.

Kevin Faulk is not - repeat NOT, repeat it again NOT - "just an ok jag." You can't possibly be a Patriots fan and think that for even a second.

The Maroney bashing is insane - here, there and everywhere. He looked perfectly dynamic and solid on Sunday (AGAIN), he just didn't get the rock a lot in the second half.

As for the draft, "one of these year's we'll have a good draft," I would assume you're referring to the people coming out (as opposed to BB's drafting prowess), except so many other points in this thread seem...naive and uninformed that now I'm not so sure.

The infusion of more WRs (Chad and Troy) does not foretell "more blocking." I mean, egads. Save yourself. But a good effort, and an excellent idea for a thread.

Frankly Faulk is an OK JAG

You're either a) A very recent fan of b) Haven't actually seen a game.

Kevin Faulk is the best pure 3rd down back in the league.

He is the all-time leader in receptions from a running back on the Patriots.

He is a SICK, SICK pass blocker. Throw in the fact that he's like 5'8" makes it all the more sick.

He can return kicks if needed.

He can return punts if needed.

He can also RUN THE BALL (Miami, Washington, this year for example) as a feature back if necessary.

Calling Kevin Faulk an "OK JAG" is like saying John Hannah was an OK Blocker. He is one of the greatest players in the history of the New England Patriots, and should be referred to as such.

/rant.

Put down the crack pipe and step away from the computer.

I like the idea behind this thread, and I appreciate your energy, but...there's a lot of dopiness in this post. Sorry. So there's that.

I'm no big fan of Heath Evans but he DEFINITELY does "more" than Corey Dillon. (It's Dillon, by the way, not "Dillion" - I realize you're not alone in this error, but can we please get the names of the players right?) Evans blocks as a FB, gets goal-line carries (not good at it, but he fills that role) and, most relevant, PLAYS SPECIAL TEAMS. Corey can ONLY be a feature-ish back who gets short-yardage carries. He brings NOTHING but that to the table.

Kevin Faulk is not - repeat NOT, repeat it again NOT - "just an ok jag." You can't possibly be a Patriots fan and think that for even a second.

The Maroney bashing is insane - here, there and everywhere. He looked perfectly dynamic and solid on Sunday (AGAIN), he just didn't get the rock a lot in the second half.

As for the draft, "one of these year's we'll have a good draft," I would assume you're referring to the people coming out (as opposed to BB's drafting prowess), except so many other points in this thread seem...naive and uninformed that now I'm not so sure.

The infusion of more WRs (Chad and Troy) does not foretell "more blocking." I mean, egads. Save yourself. But a good effort, and an excellent idea for a thread.

Kevin Faulk 3.253M Salary
2007 New England Patriots 9 4 40 185 4.6 14 0 25 210 8.4 23 1 -- --
2006 New England Patriots 15 1 25 123 4.9 11T 1 43 356 8.3 43T 2 2 1
2005 New England Patriots 8 2 51 145 2.8 13 0 29 260 9.0 23 0 3 2
2004 New England Patriots 11 1 54 255 4.7 20 2 26 248 9.5 31T 1 2 1
2003 New England Patriots 15 8 178 638 3.6 23 0 48 440 9.2 27 0 4 4
2002 New England Patriots 15 0 52 271 5.2 45T 2 37 379 10.2 36T 3 1 1
2001 New England Patriots 15 1 41 169 4.1 24 1 30 189 6.3 28 2 2 1
2000 New England Patriots 16 9 164 570 3.5 18 4 51 465 9.1 52T 1 6 4
1999 New England Patriots 11 2 67 227 3.4 43 1 12 98 8.2 19 1 3 2
TOTAL 672 2,583 3.8 45 11 301 2,645 8.8 52 11 23 16

16 Fumbles LOST Total
Production this year 395 yds 1 TD Faulk is listed as #55 running back at
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...263-p=2&d-447263-s=RUSHING_YARDS&d-447263-n=1

Faulk at #55 is JAG, H Evans #108
But my POST compared what Dillon could do compared to H Evans.
Maybe you should read before you launch into personal attacks.
Last year Dillon was the #34 RB
I didn't bash Maroney, I just made the accurate statement that he has been injured a LOT.

BB has evaluated the drafts in at least the last 2 years as not being the best in public statements.

WRs do block. In fact they play an important part in the success of the running game. See the washington game breakdown thread.

Calling Kevin Faulk an "OK JAG" is like saying John Hannah was an OK Blocker. He is one of the greatest players in the history of the New England Patriots, and should be referred to as such.

/rant.

Do you honestly believe that comparing Kevin Faulk to John Hannah in the same sentence makes any sense???
Faulk's history is not the subject of debate, his performance is.
At #55 he is what he is.
He certainly is NOT one of the greatest players ever in our history, I doubt he makes the top 50.

Is there any person their concerned about future production from the RB position?

I agree with most of this post. Kevin Faulk is not a jag! You know where I am going with this though pat sox. While I agree maroney is a dynamic and explosive runner when he is healthy , it cannot be denied that (to this point) he has been somewhat of a disappointment. Not in the sense that he does not have the talent to excel as a premier back. The fact he is hurt a lot is a real issue. I remember how he ran last year in the cinci game. That is the talent I wish we could see week in and week out.

I say Evans over Dillon also. Better attitude to go along with he intangibles.

As for the draft I think we are loaded with picks. We could possibly get the best linebacker in college football. Not that I think Bill would do it. Hopefully Meriweather is not buried in the depth chart due to the reason 's some people around here are dreading. Then we need another safety.

Last edited:
In your original post, jct, you did not compare Dillon to Evans. You simply stated that Dillon could provide more than Evans, which he does not. See previous posts as to why, in addition to Dillon most likely wanting more money than they are paying Evans. All for what? A few more yards running? He's nowhere near an every down back, has never been great coming out of the backfield for the passing game, won't be able to take more than ten carries a game (IMHO, of course). The point is, him simply running the ball does not outweigh all of the advantages Heath Evans brings (ST, blocking, decent receiver, much cheaper). Kyle Eckel also provides more on teams and can run the ball as a last resort.

Regarding Kevin Faulk. He is not a JAG, nowhere near a JAG. Pointing him out as "ranked #55" is flat out stupid. Of course isn't going to have a lot of yards, he doesn't get many carries per game. But when he has gotten carries, he has been very, very productive. In the passing game, he is damn good. At blocking, blitz pick-up and as a receiver. I will direct you to Football Outsiders for a more reasonable ranking of where Faulk stands among similar RBs.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb.php

Production this year 395 yds 1 TD Faulk is listed as #55 running back at
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...263-p=2&d-447263-s=RUSHING_YARDS&d-447263-n=1

Buddy, that's total rushing yards you're ranking by! Faulk is a 3rd-down/change of pace back whose biggest strengths are receiving and pass protection. And even so, if you rank by average yards per rush he ranks 18th in the league among RBs with 30+ carries.

I'm not about to call him the John Hannah of RBs, but Faulk's having a terrific season and is nothing like a JAG.

This is Seau's last stop. Bru negotiates his own deals with the Pats.Why would he pull a Willie McG when he can retire here and move right into the coaching heirarchy?

Bruschi has said he cannot see himself playing for any other NFL team, period. (And, BTW, while he did negotiate his last contract with the Pats, I believe he actually did hire one after his stroke.)

And while I don't think he necessarily wants to become a Patriots coach, I'm guessing that the Krafts' post-stroke offer still stands in some form (they were going to give him a PR job if he felt he couldn't continue playing).

If the Dallas Cowboys are obsessed with running back Darren McFadden, the New England Patriots can trade down for the two first round draft picks of the Dallas Cowboys (Dallas has Cleveland's first round draft selection in 2008). If the Cleveland Browns start losing more games, the better of the two Dallas draft picks would be a mid rounder. Hopefully, the following junior collegiate linebackers declare early:

James Laurinaitis, ILB, Ohio State
Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC

As for free agent priorities, wide receiver Randy Moss and cornerback Asante Samuel top the list. After watching NFLN replay of the Colts-Patriots game, Ellis Hobbs is not a starting cornerback for the New England Patriots defense and has been playing lousy this season.

Owe may see Samuel,Stallworth,Wilson,Seau,Bruschi,Gay,Gaffney,Washington,T Brown leave if they wont play for NE money.

OK, let's look at the FAs. Have to add Moss, Alexander and Mike Wright to your list.

Guys whose likeliest choices are Patriots and Retirement:
Troy Brown
Junior Seau
Tedy Bruschi

Guys whose departure won't make much of a ripple:
Jabar Gaffney
Kelley Washington

Guys the Patriots will have to really shell out for if they want to keep:
Randy Moss
Asante Samuel
Donte Stallworth

Big question marks:
Randall Gay
Eugene Wilson
Mike Wright
Eric Alexander

In that last group, I'm guessing Gay and Wright will both command surprising attention in the FA market. As for Wilson and Alexander, the Pats could probably re-sign them IF they really want to.

Position by position, that leaves 3 huge glaring priorities: WR, ILB, CB

Let's just assume Moss comes back. This is looking like something special for both sides. Let's also assume that Stallworth's return depends in part on how Chad Jackson looks for the remainder of this season. If Jackson can step up to take the #2 role, I'd bet a bunch of Stallworth's money is used to sign Gay and keep a semblance of continuity in the defensive backfield. Then the Pats also draft a couple of CBs in rounds 2-5, like the Wilson/Samuel year. At ILB, I'll say Seau retires and Bruschi gives it one more season. The Pats sign a mid-level FA to platoon with him while the rookie (Beau Bell, of course) learns the trade.

There ya go, all done! :)

In that last group, I'm guessing Gay and Wright will both command surprising attention in the FA market. As for Wilson and Alexander, the Pats could probably re-sign them IF they really want to.

The good(?) news is that Mike Wright is a restricted free agent, so anyone who wants him will have to cough up a day one draft pick. :)

Last edited:
The good(?) news is that Mike Wright is a restricted free agent, so anyone who wants him will have to cough up a day one draft pick. :)

My mistake, thought this was his 4th season somehow!

You're either a) A very recent fan of b) Haven't actually seen a game.

Kevin Faulk is the best pure 3rd down back in the league.

He is the all-time leader in receptions from a running back on the Patriots.

He is a SICK, SICK pass blocker. Throw in the fact that he's like 5'8" makes it all the more sick.

He can return kicks if needed.

He can return punts if needed.

He can also RUN THE BALL (Miami, Washington, this year for example) as a feature back if necessary.

/rant.
reminds me. against Colts..he nearly knocked a Colt down in pass protection..the guy came to him..Faulk took a step up and nearly knocked him off his feet..matter of fact, im not sure but it might have been Freeney or Mathis

I really hope the Pats re-sign Gay. This guy is way underrated, never seems to get beat, hopefully he can stay healthy. I wouldn't be surprised if Moss takes a hometown discount. There is no other team that would him this comfort level, its not going to be about a "big" paycheck. Stallworth might also be tempted to stay for less once he tastes the bubbly. I'm afraid Asante is going to be all about the money.
Anyone have a list of other teams free agents that will be available?

Guys whose likeliest choices are Patriots and Retirement:
Troy Brown
Junior Seau
Tedy Bruschi

Guys whose departure won't make much of a ripple:
Jabar Gaffney
Kelley Washington

Guys the Patriots will have to really shell out for if they want to keep:
Randy Moss
Asante Samuel
Donte Stallworth

Big question marks:
Randall Gay
Eugene Wilson
Mike Wright
Eric Alexander

Good post, I pretty much agree.

Bruschi stays (one for the thumb).

Troy and Seau retire.

We resign Moss at a competitive package, but with some level of discount.

Asante will unfortunately probably be gone -- Pats won't match the kind of sick offer he'll get elsewhere, and you know he wants the money.

Stallworth may offer a little discount, so he could possibly be retained.... Interesting to see how this develops.

Gaffney and Washington may go, but are replaceable (if it's a choice of one or the other, Gaffney is the no-brainer here.)

I think Wilson is gone. Mike Wright gets a deal to stick (something like Jarvis Green). It will be interesting to see how Gay hits the FA market. I think we can keep him. BB obviously values him and believe it or not I think his last name prevents his salary from getting too high in fre agency, because otherteams are stupid. :D

Position by position, that leaves 3 huge glaring priorities: WR, ILB, CB

Funny, that's the same problem(s) the Pats have been having the last couple of years. They'll draft smart. They almost always do.

say the Pats get SF's pick between 4-7ish. Does the money spent on Rookie signings come out of the same "bucket" as FA money? How much would this (relatively high pick for the Pats) impact thier ability to resign players?

-f

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey