PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lombardi on McDaniels and others

Status
Not open for further replies.
i wont be too surprised if mangini does decently well in cleveland.

It's a tough one to call. I'm not at all surprised that Mangini impresses the heck out of owners in interviews; he's an extremely bright guy with plenty of knowledge. Where he failed, consistently, was as a leader. He leaves a dysfunctional locker room and a trail of bitter players behind him.

BB spend some years quietly maturing as a DC before leaping back into the HC ranks. Mangini isn't getting any time to learn from his mistakes, so why should this time be different?

I really think Favre was the problem with the Jets.
I do believe Favre was forced on Mangini by the Jets FO.

i dont buy that, didnt mangini promise to name his kid 'brett' if favre signed?

I really think Favre was the problem with the Jets.
I do believe Favre was forced on Mangini by the Jets FO.
Now they want to blame their coach for their perceived shortcomings.
Really asinine but....it couldn't happen to a nicer team.:p

Yes, Lord Favre was forced on Mangini by the owner trying to sell PSLs. However it was precisely such scenarios that made BB leave the NYJ HC opportunity and precisely why he advised Mangini with his relative inexperience NOT to accept the HC of the NYJ offer. Impetuous Mangini went ahead and the inevitable forces that would seal his doom were in place.

Mangini also lacks the sideline cred that makes veteran players listen to him and respect him. Had he stayed with NE for 2 more years as DC and succeeded, he would have taken major steps towards being a more effective HC or would have better realized his limitaitions.

It absolutely astounds me why Lerner in Cleveland or any owner would get excited about puting Mangini in complete charge of their team.

Yes, Lord Favre was forced on Mangini by the owner trying to sell PSLs. However it was precisely such scenarios that made BB leave the NYJ HC opportunity and precisely why he advised Mangini with his relative inexperience NOT to accept the HC of the NYJ offer. Impetuous Mangini went ahead and the inevitable forces that would seal his doom were in place.

Mangini also lacks the sideline cred that makes veteran players listen to him and respect him. Had he stayed with NE for 2 more years as DC and succeeded, he would have taken major steps towards being a more effective HC or would have better realized his limitaitions.

It absolutely astounds me why Lerner in Cleveland or any owner would get excited about puting Mangini in complete charge of their team.

Co-signed. And when you look at Cleveland's disarray/management problems the stage is set for Mangini to fail again (not that I'm complaining:D).

Mangini's not a winner,not on his own anyway. Without the Pats' backbone he's paddle-less in a stream of *. Good lesson for Josh too-I hope he waits before embarking on a HC position elsewhere.

Lombardi also says KC let $22 million in cap room expire.

I can't imagine Pioli would want to go there if that were true.

I must be in the minority here but I think the Jets made a mistake by firing Mangini.
He's a young coach who is learning and he'll be a better coach if given another chance.
I mean 9-7 and 10-6 is not bad for a guy's first 3 years.

I agree - most anywhere other than New York, that record gets you another year. I hate Mangini, but thought he put an okay record together for himself. And really, with a better offensive coordinator (and anyone with the brain to realize that a healthy Pennington is going to give your team a better shot to win than Favre or whoever the other kid QB is), the Jets could have won the division this year.

I think losing to Pennington's Dolphins at home in such a spectacular fashion got his ass fired, despite his record. And if Schottenheimer gets promoted to HC, the Jets will only get worse, which is a win for us. :D

That said, I am looking forward to Mangini going to Cleveland, because that team is a mess and the division is dominated by the Steelers and sometimes the Ravens. In three years, he'll be back on the street as a two-time failure.

Well, if it means being chewed up and spit out, I wish him luck with that.

Great Point.....I wish nothing but the WORST for that fat pile of dog sh(T....AKA....Man-GINA!)

Lombardi also says KC let $22 million in cap room expire.

I can't imagine Pioli would want to go there if that were true.
Why not? The GM who let it go to waste resigned. Pioli would have the full cap and 7 draft picks to work with.

You can assume he'd know to can Herm and bring in his own HC. He could even get into the Matt Cassel sweepstakes by offering KC's 2nd round pick (#34 overall) this year and their 2010 2nd - the equivalent of a 1st round pick.

That #34 would be a sweet pick for NE. Pioli would then have the #3 pick to add another top player or to trade back one or two places and get additional picks to work with...not to mention putting Brody Croyle on the market.

KC has some good looking young kids, give them some adult supervision who isn't mugging for the cameras and that could be a competitive team pretty quickly.

I agree that Mangini should have stayed with the Pats for at least one more season if not two.Also, going to a div rival wasn't too cool either.
But the fact is, he did go and he didn't do that bad of a job.
I think Cleveland does themselves well by hiring him...as coach.
I wouldn't want him to take on GM duties. He hasn't proven That much.
I didn't know Cleveland was offering that much power to him, anyway.

Last edited:
I must be in the minority here but I think the Jets made a mistake by firing Mangini.
He's a young coach who is learning and he'll be a better coach if given another chance.
I mean 9-7 and 10-6 is not bad for a guy's first 3 years.

Agreed. I'm glad he took an unfair bullet, and I hope he continues to get unfair career breaks.

Why not? The GM who let it go to waste resigned. Pioli would have the full cap and 7 draft picks to work with.

I was assuming it would be an ownership business choice to have done that.

NOBODY would do it as a simple oversight; it would be deliberate.

Agreed. I'm glad he took an unfair bullet, and I hope he continues to get unfair career breaks.

Well, that's Karma for ya.

Funny wasn`t that pete carrol record here.

Cleveland isn't really that impatient with coaches. In Lerner's time they have had only three full time HCs since 1999 and each got at least two years. Crennel got four. The real problem has been the management and front office. Savage drafted some terrible players and didn't support his coach. If the new GM is good (and there must be some talent at the Ravens; Newsome can't have done it all by himself for this long) then Mangini could take over with 3-4 years to turn things around.The Bengals are awful and Baltimore will have retirements and salary cap issues to deal with. They will have to rebuild sections of the team but there is a QB, LT, and receivers on offence so that is a start.

It strange that Lerner has a great reputation in England where he owns a soccer team, has hired a great coach and given him lots of money and no interference but seems utterly inept at home.

As for Mangini himself, I never saw anything to suggest he was a good leader. He obviously can scheme (in more ways than one) but his teams never seemed fired up. I also can't understand why Lerner won't leave this decision to his new GM; hiring a coach first is just giving the GM an excuse to throw him under the bus if things go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes