SOURCE:98.5 The Sports Hub

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Jets
Mon
Oct 21st
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Stellar Performance
Another strong performance by the defense leads to points and played a key role as the Patriots improved to 6-0 Thursday night.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Legion

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by KontradictioN, Mar 5, 2017.

1. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Florida Man PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +49,829
    ---
    Watch it now if you haven't already. It's in the X-Men universe about an omega level mutant that's been in and out of mental institutions and is beginning to discover his telekinesis. It's directed by Noah Hawley who created the TV series "Fargo".

2. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly NFL Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +8,941
    ---
    So, taking the advice of several people, including you @KontradictioN, I started watching and now I'm caught up.

I have to say, it's a very interesting show. Hawley is definitely taking a lot of chances, and that's refreshing to see. It's not easy to create a series that focuses on the innerworkings of the mind, and exists for large portions on the astral plane. They're pulling it off so far.

Like Westworld, I wonder where it will all go? Does he ever sort these issues out? If so, is there some chance it could become another "by the numbers" hero series? I can't imagine that will happen, but I'm already wondering. We've got our real protagonist now, and it's compelling to watch.

3. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +49,829
    ---
    I have a feeling it will take at least two seasons to sort out whatever that thing is that's living inside his brain. They said in the last episode that it may be a very old, very powerful mutant living inside of him and chose David for his power because, otherwise, it would have ripped him in half. They are taking a LOT of chances, but they've been paying off. The series is nothing short of phenomenal. I can't wait until they really SHOW him letting loose with his powers.

4. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +8,941
    ---
    I think it would be just fine if they focused on this a little while longer; or at least have Summerland struggle with trying to "quarantine" the mutant/demon while making him somewhat operational.

The thing I worry about him being totally free and clear is that the story might get a lot less interesting. I've never read the comics or anything, but it would be cool if, once he's free of the thing, his powers are so terrifying that even his allies/Summerland start to question whether he should remain alive/conscious...and then have that push him and Sydney away toward becoming "bad guys".

Anyway, there are a lot of interesting possibilities.

EDIT - I notice no one has commented that "Lenny's dance" has a lot of the same moves David showed off when he destroyed that Division 3 compound.

5. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +49,829
    ---
    But was it really David that destroyed D3? They seemed to be hinting that it was that thing that took over. Remember that David still doesn't have a handle on his power and, yet, he was handling it like a skilled veteran at D3. I like that there are two antagonists in this show (D3 and that thing inside him). It's very confusing right now but also very interesting. There's also a rumor that Professor X may show up at some point throughout the show.

@captain insano as a lover of everything FX, you gotta get on this.

6. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +8,941
    ---
    Exactly. I think the dance confirms that it was the thing that took over and destroyed D3. It was hinted at in the earlier episode, but now we can move on from asking if it was to asking why the thing would do that.

I'm working off the idea that Professor X might be his father.

• Like Like x 1
  7. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +49,829
    ---
    Yep. If that thing took over and laid waste to D3, it would be terrifying to know what it's capable of should it want to take over David on a permanent basis. Interesting theory, re: Professor X being his father. I was actually wondering whether or not (given his age, the time period, and the fact that he's adopted) he's Jean Grey's brother.

• Like Like x 1
  8. captain insano

captain insano Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4,207
    ---
    ill have to give it a try. speaking of fx. season three of fargo starts very soon.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  9. BobDigital

BobDigital Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +14,054
    ---
    I like it but I am in wait and see mode on it. I made a top 10 list and this failed to make it cause I just have no idea where it plans to go or if i think the destination is good. It is on my watch list though for the forseeable future.

10. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +8,941
    ---
    You've got me curious. I'm going to start a thread on the Top Ten.

11. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +8,941
    ---
    So I thought the season finale was very satisfying on a lot of levels. I didn't have an issue with them trying to humanize Clark by showing his recovery, but I haven't forgotten that he's in the habit of torturing otherwise innocent people, even if he thinks the cause is just. He played a cruel game and met a semi-cruel fate.

What's interesting now is that we're going to see what parts of David's power were his and what parts were The Shadow King's. I get the feeling some of "David's powers" were actually not his, and we'll see some sort of limitation, but maybe not. Who knows?

All I DO know is that Aubrey Plaza should be in strong contention for an Emmy. What a performance! And did anyone feel like she was channeling Sigorney Weaver as Zuul a bit in that scene before she starts to choke David?

12. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +49,829
    ---
    I haven't watched the finale yet. I was two weeks behind. I just watched the penultimate episode and a LOT of questions were answered in that alone. We finally got an answer on The Shadow King and his background as well as why he might be inhabiting David. It set a clear path for the finale which, from the sounds of it, set a path for next season. And, even though I haven't seen the finale, I do agree that Plaza should be the front runner for an Emmy. She's been exceptional in this role. I honestly think Stevens should be considered (maybe not nominated just yet) for his role, too. He transitions seemingly in and out of David and the Shadow King (not to mention the various constructs that his mind creates). Very entertaining season one, outside of the first episode in the Astral Plane. I very much look forward to the next season. Now, we get to watch Hawley's other masterpiece: Fargo.

13. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +49,829
    ---
    The finale was nothing short of excellent. What did it do for Legion on your top 10 list? Up or down?

14. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +8,941
    ---
    Very good question. I went back and looked it over. I'd say I might have put it over Vikings, but I'm not quite ready to put it above Fargo. There are a lot of good shows ahead of it for now. If the show lives up to its potential in Season 2, I can easily see it moving up the list.

15. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +49,829
    ---
    They finally have a sense of direction. I feel as if the confusion over just exactly wtf was happening in the beginning was needed, though. The audience was actually in David's shoes and Hawley masterfully pieced it together for both David and us and it paid off beautifully. As for Fargo? Season 3 looks like it will **** on season 2 and maybe rival season 1.

16. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +8,941
    ---
    I was fine with the confusion of the first several episodes and I thought it was masterfully done. Very rarely do you see filmmakers even attempt to go through the cerebral rigamarole, and fewer pull it off. It's a hell of an accomplishment. And I agree that the show has direction now, but I'm hoping the show keeps some of its quirks. I'd hate for it to become a formulaic comic hero franchise, but I don't think there's a huge risk of that from Hawley.

I've avoided the trailers for Season 3, just like I did for the other two seasons. I like being surprised and I enjoyed Season 2. My biggest disappointment about Season 2 was the Hanzee reveal...a badass like that turned into a fat **** who more or less gets killed like a bitch? Disappointing...

But Ted Danson's line to Kirsten Dunst, "you're a little touched, aren't ya?" is one of the best lines in recent TV history, if you ask me.

• Like Like x 1
  17. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +49,829
    ---
    Let's just say I think season 3 is going to win Ewan MacGregor an Emmy.

• Useful Useful x 1