PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lazar: Pats call different plays for Mac than Zappe

NovaScotiaPatsFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score

There's a clear distinction between how the Patriots call the game for Mac compared to rookie Bailey Zappe on first and second down. On the surface, Zappe gets a higher rate of play-action and more drop-backs from under center. But it ran even deeper than that with a side-by-side comparison on Monday night

Coaching is a complete **** show in NE. How times have changed, Mac went from being in the best situation to the absolute worst in just a year. The demise of this franchise is steam rolling ahead. No direction whatsoever

I've been bemoaning the stubbornness of BB for several years. When old men get older, and get public opposition, they only get more stubborn. He's been showing that dark side of his ego since 2017. Benching Butler in the SB, refusing to upgrade needed positions in 18-19, humbling himself with Brady's negotiation, sticking with Cam all year instead of trying out Stidham, not planning for post-JMD offense. These last 3 years have seemed all about him trying to prove he can do it with any QB as a direct reply to the Brady-loving doubters of his legacy. He's not doing things for the best interest of the team.

I've been bemoaning the stubbornness of BB for several years. When old men get older, and get public opposition, they only get more stubborn. He's been showing that dark side of his ego since 2017. Benching Butler in the SB, refusing to upgrade needed positions in 18-19, humbling himself with Brady's negotiation, sticking with Cam all year instead of trying out Stidham, not planning for post-JMD offense. These last 3 years have seemed all about him trying to prove he can do it with any QB as a direct reply to the Brady-loving doubters of his legacy. He's not doing things for the best interest of the team.
1666745288258.png

Coaching is a complete **** show in NE. How times have changed, Mac went from being in the best situation to the absolute worst in just a year. The demise of this franchise is steam rolling ahead. No direction whatsoever
It was bound to happen. The dynasty wasn't going to last forever. I'm grateful for the rings and the memories. I don't know if Belichick has it in him to win another one but we'll see.

Have we considered that the offensive play-calling is being tailored to the respective QB's preference?

Maybe Jones doesn't like pre-snap motion or PA (that requires him to turn his back on a defense). Maybe the route combinations they're running are ones he wants them to run. Maybe Jones like the more aggressive, downfield concepts. Maybe these things are being done at his behest, with his input.

Unless we want to believe the coaching staff is deliberately sabotaging Jones by only calling the "bad" plays when he's in the game.

Perhaps it's less about the play-calling than the guy under center who's executing the plays.

Could it be one is a rookie and they expect more out of the other? I think you could probably point out similar things to Mac's calls this year vs rookie Mac's calls.
This is what it is.

What we don't know about the 'new' playbook for Mac is ...is it Mac or the playcall? Are we running plays that make sense for our guys?

Have we considered that the offensive play-calling is being tailored to the respective QB's preference?

Maybe Jones doesn't like pre-snap motion or PA (that requires him to turn his back on a defense). Maybe the route combinations they're running are ones he wants them to run. Maybe Jones like the more aggressive, downfield concepts. Maybe these things are being done at his behest, with his input.

Unless we want to believe the coaching staff is deliberately sabotaging Jones by only calling the "bad" plays when he's in the game.

Perhaps it's less about the play-calling than the guy under center who's executing the plays.
Good take.

Makes sense, Mac wanting to run things closer to what he did in College. Only issue is in terms of pass catchers, we don't come close in terms of talent to the wrs Mac was throwing to @ Bama.

It's funny though because public perception was on his side for most of his career in New England. Things only changed in 2020 when Brady went to Tampa

Evan said himself multiple time on Patriots Unfiltered that they tailored the offense to what Mac like and to be closer to what he was doing in Alabama.

When your argument includes "trying out Stidham" it is a weak argument.

When your argument includes "trying out Stidham" it is a weak argument.
Going with a 4th round rookie over the more decorated starter? Sounds unrealistic.

Everyone sees this except for for the pro-Zappe crowd. I and I just don’t get the strategy.

If they mixed in a lot of the stuff they are giving Zappe to start the season, they might not be ruining Jones right now.

Everyone sees this except for for the pro-Zappe crowd. I and I just don’t get the strategy.

If they mixed in a lot of the stuff they are giving Zappe to start the season, they might not be ruining Jones right now.

What baffles me a bit about it is some of the stuff we're seeing with Zappe feels like stuff they would do early in games with TOM BRADY, even after Tom was an established multi-Super Bowl winner. Quick easy throws to get in rhythm, routes designed to beat blitzes, etc. It just makes sense to hit the low hanging fruit and build up. For some reason they seem to want Mac to run a deep first offense and I don't get it.

Maybe Jones himself has something to do with the plays being called?

Maybe Jones himself has something to do with the plays being called?

I would bet he definitely does. I'm not blaming one coach or just the coaching staff in general. It's the whole operation that's just a bit head scratching is all.

There seems to be a lot of confusion within this team and the QB fiasco doesn't help.

What baffles me a bit about it is some of the stuff we're seeing with Zappe feels like stuff they would do early in games with TOM BRADY, even after Tom was an established multi-Super Bowl winner. Quick easy throws to get in rhythm, routes designed to beat blitzes, etc. It just makes sense to hit the low hanging fruit and build up. For some reason they seem to want Mac to run a deep first offense and I don't get it.

Yeah, I don't get that they don't mix it up with Jones. Even when Brady was here, he was constantly killing opposing defenses with death by a thousand paper cuts type of methodical offense. Brady would take his shots down field, but he lived off the slant pick plays.

With Jones, it seems that they want him to constantly throw for first downs whether it is first and ten or 3rd and 2. It is all vertical. He has some plays that are designed to have short passes, but most are over 8-10 yards it seems.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back