PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lazar: Patriots Need to Use Bye Week to Improve Red Zone Offense

DropKickFlutie

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
"The Patriots currently rank 26th in red zone touchdown efficiency...New England is 27th in EPA per play in the high red zone (6-19 yard line). In layman’s terms, the Pats can play bully-ball from inside the five but are stalling before they get there too often."

" [Jonnu Smith] only has one touchdown after scoring nine red-zone TDs with the Titans a year ago (tied for most among tight ends with Travis Kelce).Tennessee incorporated Smith in various ways in the red zone from contested targets, flexing him outside to work matchups, crossing patterns off boot-action, jet sweeps, and more. Even if the players should be held accountable for improving execution, McDaniels needs to utilize Smith more in the red zone. Based on his tape in Tennessee, he’s clearly a productive threat down there."

Motion, motion, and more motion. Free up Smith and get him a free release from the press. As it stands, Henry is our only consistent RZ target since Harry is useless as a receiver.

Motion, motion, and more motion. Free up Smith and get him a free release from the press. As it stands, Henry is our only consistent RZ target since Harry is useless as a receiver.

Absolutely. Great idea. Jonnu in motion should be devastating in the red zone, especially coupled with play-action.

I agree with what you have been saying. Red Zone playcalling has been head-scratching at times. Maybe they are trying to keep some things in their back pocket until January.

I got slaughtered for saying as such before the Bills game, but I think that indeed is it.

If you can play “bully ball” inside the 5, why can’t you play bully ball inside the 20?

Running the ball is what this offense does best so don’t get cute with the play calling. Excellent execution on run plays with timely play action is the recipe for a good red zone offense.

It is really puzzling why Jonnu has not been used more this year. Considering he was quite productive with the Titans this is the biggest head scratcher. Henry has developed more of a rapport with Jones but that could mainly be due to lack of targets or maybe after the Saints game where he had many drops, (which lead to INT's )Jones doesn't look his way too often. Whatever the reason we need to get him more involved in the passing game.

It is really puzzling why Jonnu has not been used more this year. Considering he was quite productive with the Titans this is the biggest head scratcher. Henry has developed more of a rapport with Jones but that could mainly be due to lack of targets or maybe after the Saints game where he had many drops, (which lead to INT's )Jones doesn't look his way too often. Whatever the reason we need to get him more involved in the passing game.

They started to use him more against the Titans. Hopefully they continue

If you can play “bully ball” inside the 5, why can’t you play bully ball inside the 20?

Running the ball is what this offense does best so don’t get cute with the play calling. Excellent execution on run plays with timely play action is the recipe for a good red zone offense.

Need more play action. And Jonnu.

9 TDs last year

The playcalling by Josh has been much improved as the season goes on and great at times. But yeah, he needs to keep getting better in the RZ and I think they will eventually. Excluding the Buffalo game I wonder if there is a stat out there that could break down the last 5 games to see if there was any major improvement from beginning of season up until now? For certain their ppg has been improving steadily, maybe so is their rz offense? Not sure.

The playcalling by Josh has been much improved as the season goes on and great at times. But yeah, he needs to keep getting better in the RZ and I think they will eventually. Excluding the Buffalo game I wonder if there is a stat out there that could break down the last 5 games to see if there was any major improvement from beginning of season up until now? For certain their ppg has been improving steadily, maybe so is their rz offense? Not sure.

I think even during the winning streak specific period the RZ offense is only ranked 17th. Winning streak is mostly elite elite defense plus a fixed OLine.

This is an obvious flaw of our offense. A lot of our passes do not even go into the endzone. I think we will get better but at the moment it is jokingly bad. Harry doesn't get a chance and Meyers still has more passing touchdowns than receiving.

This is an obvious flaw of our offense. A lot of our passes do not even go into the endzone. I think we will get better but at the moment it is jokingly bad. Harry doesn't get a chance and Meyers still has more passing touchdowns than receiving.

I think Meyers and Bourne make sense in the red zone with their burst off the line. Along with the 2TEs. Keep Agholor and Harry on the sidelines

I think Meyers and Bourne make sense in the red zone with their burst off the line. Along with the 2TEs. Keep Agholor and Harry on the sidelines
I agree, but it is weird how hard it is for Meyers to score.

I think some are forgetting we still have a rookie quarterback at the end of the day. The defense is good enough where we can get away with field goals. The red zone offense has been this way by design.

Mac doesn't need to put the team on his shoulders and throw lasers in tight windows, not yet at least. That time will come.

Pats have had a red zone problem for several years, especially without Blount up the middle and Gronk over the top. With Stevenson, Harris, Henry and Smith, I don't see why that couldn't improve, especially in the post season.

Another mediot with a keen sense of the obvious who makes a living pointing out the....OBVIOUS. God I wish I had that gig. No one does that better than me. ;)

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back