Next Up: at Bills
Pick Results: NE: 83.1% at BUF: 16.9%

Mon
Dec 6th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

betterthanthealternative

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
For those of us who are tracking the science. Not a place to debate the value of anti-COVID measures or to post tribal/political reactions.

Here's some to start, with a very early look at the differences emerging between Pfizer and Moderna, compiled by Consumer Lab (which I highly recommend for consumer-oriented research):

*A retrospective study among more than 73,000 fully vaccinated adults in Minnesota, Florida, Wisconsin, Arizona or Iowa showed that, during July 2021 (when the prevalence of the Delta variant was greater than 50% in each state), the risk of breakthrough infection as well as hospitalization was lower with the Moderna vaccine compared to the Pfizer vaccine. However, there was no difference in the rate of ICU admission or COVID-19-associated death. Compared to the unvaccinated, the Moderna vaccine reduced the risk of Delta variant infection by 76% and the Pfizer by 42%, and Moderna reduced hospitalization by 81% and Pfizer by 76%.

*A study that analyzed COVID cases in England from April 5 to May 16, 2021 found that, at two weeks after the second dose, the Pfizer vaccine was about 88% effective in preventing symptomatic disease from the Delta variant (i.e., B.1.617.2, a variant first identified in India). However, at three weeks after the first dose, the vaccine was only about 34% effective against this variant, stressing the importance of the second dose.

*a study in Qatar among people who were fully vaccinated with Pfizer or Moderna (average date of second dose was May 2021 for both vaccines) found that vaccine effectiveness against symptomatic Delta breakthrough infections through July 21, 2021 was about 54% for Pfizer and 85% for Moderna. However, both vaccines were highly effective against severe, critical or fatal COVID-19 disease caused by Delta infection (90% for Pfizer, 100% for Moderna), and no deaths related to breakthrough Delta infections were reported.

betterthanthealternative

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter

Kontradiction

Dr. P-ussy
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
2021 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
Interesting.
Lots of conversation about doubling the J&J with an RNA. This report provides quite the counter argument.
Makes sense if you think about it. Traditionally, most viruses leave antibodies to the survivor which tend to give said survivor immunity for the rest of his or her life. Since this one was likely manufactured in a lab via gain of function research, however, (just applying Occam’s Razor here… not trying to take this down a different path) the survivor does not get lifelong immunity. Give them a booster of dead version of the virus. Seems like the best bet until we figure out a way to kill it permanently or there’s enough of a mixture of people who are vaccinated and people who have gotten it and survived that it dies out on its own.

The Brandon Five

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Makes sense if you think about it. Traditionally, most viruses leave antibodies to the survivor which tend to give said survivor immunity for the rest of his or her life. Since this one was likely manufactured in a lab via gain of function research, however, (just applying Occam’s Razor here… not trying to take this down a different path) the survivor does not get lifelong immunity. Give them a booster of dead version of the virus. Seems like the best bet until we figure out a way to kill it permanently or there’s enough of a mixture of people who are vaccinated and people who have gotten it and survived that it dies out on its own.
I have a feeling this is going to like influenza. With us forever. You'll need a shot every year to contain it.

Kontradiction

Dr. P-ussy
PatsFans.com Supporter
I should mention that two of the people I went to Savannah with have tested positive for Covid. One had the Moderna shot and the other had Pfizer. I was with them the entire trip and tested negative twice now. I don’t feel sick either. This is in response to the article I linked, and specifically this part…

Meanwhile, a prior study found that people vaccinated with the Johnson & Johnson vaccine still had a durable immune response at least eight months later, even without a booster.

Joker

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
I should mention that two of the people I went to Savannah with have tested positive for Covid. One had the Moderna shot and the other had Pfizer. I was with them the entire trip and tested negative twice now. I don’t feel sick either. This is in response to the article I linked, and specifically this part…
Obviously, YOU are a space alien...which I have long surmised. Stay the eff away from MY phone, E.T....Joe Kerr don't pay them AT&T long distance charges

Kontradiction

Dr. P-ussy
PatsFans.com Supporter
Obviously, YOU are a space alien...which I have long surmised. Stay the eff away from MY phone, E.T....Joe Kerr don't pay them AT&T long distance charges

One-If-By-Sea

In the Starting Line-Up
For those of us who are tracking the science. Not a place to debate the value of anti-COVID measures or to post tribal/political reactions.

Here's some to start, with a very early look at the differences emerging between Pfizer and Moderna, compiled by Consumer Lab (which I highly recommend for consumer-oriented research):

*A retrospective study among more than 73,000 fully vaccinated adults in Minnesota, Florida, Wisconsin, Arizona or Iowa showed that, during July 2021 (when the prevalence of the Delta variant was greater than 50% in each state), the risk of breakthrough infection as well as hospitalization was lower with the Moderna vaccine compared to the Pfizer vaccine. However, there was no difference in the rate of ICU admission or COVID-19-associated death. Compared to the unvaccinated, the Moderna vaccine reduced the risk of Delta variant infection by 76% and the Pfizer by 42%, and Moderna reduced hospitalization by 81% and Pfizer by 76%.

*A study that analyzed COVID cases in England from April 5 to May 16, 2021 found that, at two weeks after the second dose, the Pfizer vaccine was about 88% effective in preventing symptomatic disease from the Delta variant (i.e., B.1.617.2, a variant first identified in India). However, at three weeks after the first dose, the vaccine was only about 34% effective against this variant, stressing the importance of the second dose.

*a study in Qatar among people who were fully vaccinated with Pfizer or Moderna (average date of second dose was May 2021 for both vaccines) found that vaccine effectiveness against symptomatic Delta breakthrough infections through July 21, 2021 was about 54% for Pfizer and 85% for Moderna. However, both vaccines were highly effective against severe, critical or fatal COVID-19 disease caused by Delta infection (90% for Pfizer, 100% for Moderna), and no deaths related to breakthrough Delta infections were reported.

Do you have the journal references for the original articles?

As Kontra pointed out, the mRNA vaccines seem to wain, so studies in the first 180 days or so after the second shot are misleading by showing high success rates that people assume are lasting. But that may not be the case. J&J vaccines or natural immunity may be much more durable.

Not sure yearly mRNA booster shots for everyone are practical.

betterthanthealternative

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
I'm grabbing these from the Consumer Lab article. If you find it valuable, would ask that you subscribe if possible.

Effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines against the B.1.617.2 variant

PatsFanInVa

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
We got J&J because Mrs. P didn't want a bad round of side effects to do the virus' job for it (most here know she's frail.) I was so glad every time I saw how robust it seems over time/across variants. looking forward to the booster shot. (With the S. Africa variant was the first time I saw the info that we don't really have head-to-head numbers, because when J&J was measured, the SA variant was out there already, but when Phizer and Moderna were tester, it was all true COVID classic.) Great news about the 9 fold increase and looking forward to boosting.

Caveat - I guess I say this b/c J&J got the rep of being the "ghetto" vaccine.... I should add that the other 2 were also phenomenal, especially against classic COVID. The 42% infection efficacy rate for Phizer worries me... Agree w the assessment above, it appears we'll have to continue to keep up with COVID shots and news. I hope that we don't have to wait for our primative politics to be decided by natural selection. I think now that people's kids are in it they're starting to come around to what a **** tank we all got dunked in by the make-believe lobby.

DropKickFlutie

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
The curves now remind me of measles outbreaks. When there isn't herd immunity via high vaccination rates, even if a lot of people are vaccinated, there will still be a lot of new cases. It's very disappointing to see pockets of the country with massive case numbers. Only a bit over half the country is fully vaccinated. The overall cases curve is getting close to Jan'21 numbers which is not ideal.

woolster22

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
We got J&J because Mrs. P didn't want a bad round of side effects to do the virus' job for it (most here know she's frail.) I was so glad every time I saw how robust it seems over time/across variants. looking forward to the booster shot. (With the S. Africa variant was the first time I saw the info that we don't really have head-to-head numbers, because when J&J was measured, the SA variant was out there already, but when Phizer and Moderna were tester, it was all true COVID classic.) Great news about the 9 fold increase and looking forward to boosting.

Caveat - I guess I say this b/c J&J got the rep of being the "ghetto" vaccine.... I should add that the other 2 were also phenomenal, especially against classic COVID. The 42% infection efficacy rate for Phizer worries me... Agree w the assessment above, it appears we'll have to continue to keep up with COVID shots and news. I hope that we don't have to wait for our primative politics to be decided by natural selection. I think now that people's kids are in it they're starting to come around to what a **** tank we all got dunked in by the make-believe lobby.
And what would motivate anyone to label the more efficient, lower risk, historically proven vaccine as "ghetto?"

Why is the conventional wisdom to double up with something that necessitates regular boosters but doesn't prevent spread through those protected?

What possible motivation would Moderna and Pfizer have to avoid returning to proven methods that are wildly more effective than their Emergency Authorized experiments?

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
And what would motivate anyone to label the more efficient, lower risk, historically proven vaccine as "ghetto?"

Why is the conventional wisdom to double up with something that necessitates regular boosters but doesn't prevent spread through those protected?

What possible motivation would Moderna and Pfizer have to avoid returning to proven methods that are wildly more effective than their Emergency Authorized experiments?

Don’t know about the ‘ghetto’ comment, but there’s always a better way of doing just about anything.

Kontradiction

Dr. P-ussy
PatsFans.com Supporter
Y’all should watch last night’s 60 Minutes episode about the new super vaccine that the Pentagon is working on, and is in clinical trials. We may be on pace to cure the common cold if this pans out.

woolster22

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Y’all should watch last night’s 60 Minutes episode about the new super vaccine that the Pentagon is working on, and is in clinical trials. We may be on pace to cure the common cold if this pans out.
Do you remember the name of the vaccine, or what it was based on, by any chance?