PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

LaMont Jordan signed, Robert Ortiz waived

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/07/26/pats-sign-jordan/
Adam Schefter of NFL Network is reporting that the New England Patriots have signed running back LaMont Jordan, a day after he was released by the Oakland Raiders.

Per Schefter, Jordan was also considering signing with the Saints, a team that could be in greater need of another veteran running back if Deuce McAllister’s swollen knee turns out to be serious. Jordan’s deal with the Patriots is a one-year contract. No financial terms have been reported.

Last season Jordan played in 12 games for the Raiders, starting seven and finishing the season with 144 carries for 549 yards and three touchdowns.

That didn't take long - one day after his release.

Nice to have the added depth at RB - if Sammy Morris is healthy all last season we might have had a different finish to the season.

Last edited:
Adam Schefter reports Pats sign LaMont Jordan

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/07/26/pats-sign-jordan/

PATS SIGN JORDAN
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 26, 2008, 2:49 p.m. EDT

Adam Schefter of NFL Network is reporting that the New England Patriots have signed running back LaMont Jordan, a day after he was released by the Oakland Raiders.

Per Schefter, Jordan was also considering signing with the Saints, a team that could be in greater need of another veteran running back if Deuce McAllister’s swollen knee turns out to be serious. Jordan’s deal with the Patriots is a one-year contract. No financial terms have been reported.

Last season Jordan played in 12 games for the Raiders, starting seven and finishing the season with 144 carries for 549 yards and three touchdowns.

Re: Pats sign Lamont Jordan

Depth & flexibility, good to have a little competition, will they all stick??Maroney - Morris - Jordan - Faulk to go with Evans.......looks good to me.

Re: Adam Schefter reports Pats sign LaMont Jordan

Alright so there's the RB competition. Who do you think he beats out?

Early in camp it sounds like Evans is doing well with special teams and pass blocking. No RBs on the PUP and I doubt we go with five, so who goes? Maroney, Morris, Faulk, Evans, Eckel and now Jordan... (and of course, fan favorite BenJarvus Green Ellis Bruschi)

He's an awfully good #3 RB. I doubt he'll play much with Kool Aid and Morris stay healthy but if they don't, Jordan is a nice piece of depth to have.

The great thing about the signing will be the depth. Jordan not always the most healthy back in the NFL will be able to share the load to ensure Morris is ok. I guess he checked out ok with the Pats. When healthy and his head is in the game he is a very capable running back.

Last edited:

Depth & flexibility, good to have a little competition, will they all stick??Maroney - Morris - Jordan - Faulk to go with Evans.......looks good to me.

Well the chances of my darkhorse BenJavus Green Ellis making the team have certainly dropped.

Alright so there's the RB competition. Who do you think he beats out?
It would look the the RB will be Maroney, Morris, Jordan, Faulk, Evans.

Not quite sure where he fits in, but good quality depth just in case somebody gets hurt.

Quite a few roster spots for running back. I wonder where we will make the additional cuts?

Last edited:

I like it for you guys. It strikes me as an under the radar move that can pay dividends in january.

It'll be nice to have someone other than Heath Evans getting mop-up time carries. As much as a luxury as that is, Jordan should be able to keep our defense off the field in blowout 4th quarters instead of just conceding three and out with 3 runs to Evans or Eckel. Plus it adds depth in case of injury...I love the signing.

I hope he can play ST. Unless he can play good enough to take over for Morris and move Morris back to ST where we all thought he would be last year.

Seeing Jordan and Faulk split behind Brady would be a scary sight :cool2:

I hope he can play ST. Unless he can play good enough to take over for Morris and move Morris back to ST where we all thought he would be last year.

Seeing Jordan and Faulk split behind Brady would be a scary sight :cool2:

Jordan is a great receiver out of the backfield, he had 70 catches in 2005. But don't forget LoMo!! Maroney will be scary for defenses this yr, think last few games last yr and playoffs.

Nice pick up by the Pats, I like this move. In the nfl it's key to have rb depth and Jordan is solid, especially as a back up.

Yeah, he would of been a nice addition last season when Morris went down. These coaches plan for every contingency. Good stuff.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

If they did sign him, they need to make room for him on the 80man roster... so who goes? Please not our buddy Lavdrim "Lav" Bauta again... :)

If Maroney's short history of injuries continue, Lamont Jordan will have his chance to shine and contribute to the Championship.

That was quick. Reiss didn't even update his blog yet, LOL!! :D

This signing says one thing to me. The Pats are SERIOUS about using the running game more in their offense. They have really put a lot of emphasis on it so far in camp too. Jordan still has to make the team. If he does, I think that he brings us good depth at the running back position.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back