PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL QB Rankings (looking toward 2023)

You think lol?????

Outside looking in, theres no way you cant think certain people are freaks. This thread is a perfect example. It's like listening to your old relative talk that's outdated by decades.
"He hasn't even won fouah supahh bowls yet!!" He is 39-14 as a starter, 2 time pro bowler, All-Pro, and league MVP in basically 4.5 years as a starter but for some reason "he isn't that good". I also never understand why his rushing ability seems to be held against him like it's a negative thing.

The last noodle arm I remember playing was Chad Pennington, and when he became available at the end of 2007 I was hoping the Pats would scoop him up as a backup. But he wanted to play instead of being behind Brady. Had he come here he could have replaced Brady in 2008.
2015 Peyton Manning had a noodle arm and some poor coaching decisions that year killed us and put us on the road in Denver and gave noodle arm just enough of an advantage to beat us and win a fraudulent ring.

Brady’s never thrown further than 47ish yards through the air, but his arm is magical. Mac’s thrown just as far but he’s weak. And pointing that out is comparing Mac to Tom…. lol.
I don't know where you're getting your numbers but that is beside the point. Brady had arguably the greatest season ever for a quarterback in 2007. His arm strength is above average... certainly never was considered a negative. Against Baltimore, when Mac also threw 3 INTs, was the first time I recall noticing that he was pushing the ball downfield semi-consistently in a game. Zappe completed some passes beyond the line of scrimmage in Lambeau but did you see the hangtime on those throws?

Exactly. A 50 yard bomb is not as impressive as a 20 yard out bullet. Arm strength makes all the difference on those throws.
How many times did we watch Brady drilling a 10-20 yard pass into the chest of Welker, Edelman or Amendola? In tight windows. Completing those short to intermediate passes in a bunch of traffic is more difficult than some bomb downfield where the receiver has much more ground to compensate for the trajectory of the pass. Brady's the best ever on short to intermediate passes.

Watson led the NFL in passing yards the last time he played, he regularly has been near tops among passing attempts... how close has LJ come to doing either of those things?

One of these things is not like the other... here's a hint, it's not skin color.

Deshaun Watson career playoff totals: 1-2 Record, 80-126, 63% completions, 870 yards, 4 TD's, 1 INT, 91 QB Ranking, 1 Fumble

Lamar's career playoff totals: 1-3 Record, 56% Completions, 3td's/5 INT's, 6.62 Yards Per Passing Attempt, 19 Sacks, 68.3 QB Rating... and oh yeah, 5 Fumbles.

Keeping in mind Watson dragged one of the worst teams and offensive lines to the playoffs. Jackson annually has been on one of the best teams in the AFC, a team and coach who won rings before he arrived. But yeah... similar.
I like Lamar's game a lot and I'm expecting him to have an outstanding career. He'll turn his playoff numbers around over time. Although Watson can run, and does so effectively, he's not the runner Jackson is (no one is). However, Watson is the better passing quarterback. I think the impressive start to his career has been somewhat overlooked, especially now with all of the accusations and lawsuits. I'm sure he's very much looking forward to reestablishing his NFL career and I have no doubt he'll be a top 5 quarterback again in little time.

How many times did we watch Brady drilling a 10-20 yard pass into the chest of Welker, Edelman or Amendola? In tight windows. Completing those short to intermediate passes in a bunch of traffic is more difficult than some bomb downfield where the receiver has much more ground to compensate for the trajectory of the pass. Brady's the best ever on short to intermediate passes.
100% correct. That was the point I was trying to make. 50 yard bomb not what I think of when it comes to arm strength.

Brady still has that zip on those throws.

I don't know where you're getting your numbers but that is beside the point. Brady had arguably the greatest season ever for a quarterback in 2007. His arm strength is above average... certainly never was considered a negative. Against Baltimore, when Mac also threw 3 INTs, was the first time I recall noticing that he was pushing the ball downfield semi-consistently in a game. Zappe completed some passes beyond the line of scrimmage in Lambeau but did you see the hangtime on those throws?
Yeah... it never happened.

Brady's scouting report from before the draft = Pea Shooter

--Skinny
--Lacks great physical stature and strength
--Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush
--Lacks a really strong arm
--Can’t drive the ball downfield

--Does not throw a really tight spiral
--System-type player who can get exposed if forced to ad lib
--Gets knocked down easily

www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/tom-bradys-pre-nfl-draft-scouting-report-will-never-cease-be-funny

Or, here's a reporter from 60 Minutes reading Tom the notes from a completely different scout...

But you've managed to do it again... turn another completely unrelated thread into a conversation about Brady magic.

Laughable...

I like Lamar's game a lot and I'm expecting him to have an outstanding career. He'll turn his playoff numbers around over time. Although Watson can run, and does so effectively, he's not the runner Jackson is (no one is). However, Watson is the better passing quarterback. I think the impressive start to his career has been somewhat overlooked, especially now with all of the accusations and lawsuits. I'm sure he's very much looking forward to reestablishing his NFL career and I have no doubt he'll be a top 5 quarterback again in little time.
Lamar has been the biggest reason why his team has failed in the playoffs, statistically, factually.... yet I'm being called a racist above for not accepting the narrative that he is fantastic and should have been drafted by BB. I don't want a QB who is really good in the regular season but who can't win in the playoffs... or exactly how I described his career arc back in 2018 before being drafted as a rookie.

Again... all this talking about it is unnecessary, we've already stated our positions completely. I've bookmarked this thread.

Show me in the playoffs.

Has Brady's arm strength ever been questioned in the entirety of his NFL career? The answer is no. Provided YOU are not bringing up comparisons with other quarterbacks to Brady, then we don't have to talk about it.

Lamar has been the biggest reason why his team has failed in the playoffs, statistically, factually.... yet I'm being called a racist above for not accepting the narrative that he is fantastic and should have been drafted by BB. I don't want a QB who is really good in the regular season but who can't win in the playoffs... or exactly how I described his career arc back in 2018 before being drafted as a rookie.
When a player accounts for 500 yards of offense in a game, he's not the reason why his team loses. Jackson will have more shots at the postseason, so we'll just have to wait and see. But he is a fantastic football player. Again there are only 3 quarterbacks I'm taking over him for the next 5 seasons... Allen, Mahomes and Watson.

Show me in the playoffs.
I agree. This is a good standard. Every team, quarterback and head coach should be held to it. I'll bookmark your comment.

Velocity=arm strength=distance.
...which does not mean accuracy.

For QBs is delivering the ball on time when it needs to be there.

I always want to make a bet! Lamar's Wonderlic score. O/U 6.5
Another good bet is how many games will Lamar play this season. O/U 10.5

Btw, I'm still reeling from my 0.5 point loss on the Pats game. That was the last of the 4 game tease that I played. The interesting part is if I went with the 7 point (+250) bet over the 6 point (+400) bet I would have won. Funny how a point can make so much of a difference.

Another good bet is how many games will Lamar play this season. O/U 10.5

Btw, I'm still reeling from my 0.5 point loss on the Pats game. That was the last of the 4 game tease that I played. The interesting part is if I went with the 7 point (+250) bet over the 6 point (+400) bet I would have won. Funny how a point can make so much of a difference.

I have heard people wonder why a 4 bet 6 point teaser pays (+300), and a 7 point only pays (+200).

That one point really makes a difference.

The Packers game was a perfect example. I won a 7 point teaser bringing it down to (-2.5). I will always go below a FG if possible.

...which does not mean accuracy.

For QBs is delivering the ball on time when it needs to be there.
Accuracy's another thing that separates Brady from the rest. Brady more often picked the best receiver and located the pass so that he didn't lead him into a hit. It's also something that causes drops and Brady rarely did it.

The last time I watched Lamar pass the ball he was pretty inaccurate. During one stretch he threw a very Cant Newton like bounce pass and overthrew a WR on a longish pass by 15 yards.

I have heard people wonder why a 4 bet 6 point teaser pays (+300), and a 7 point only pays (+200).

That one point really makes a difference.

The Packers game was a perfect example. I won a 7 point teaser bringing it down to (-2.5). I will always go below a FG if possible.
I kind of understood and now I really understand. :) You could say that I got greedy because I noticed the difference in the GB spread but ignored it. I didn't think it would be that close anyway
It's been many years since I bet real money. When I did it was for a short time and only on the NBA. I liked parlays and would go with Boston, LA and Philly whenever I could. At the time the Celts were coached by Bill Fitch and he would always keep the pedal to the metal at the end. They covered a lot.

Otherwise, Drew Bledsoe should have been the OBVIOUS starter over Tom Brady. MUCH stronger arm.

I'm a huge Bledsoe fan, but even I know a cannon of an arm is NOT enough.

"He hasn't even won fouah supahh bowls yet!!" He is 39-14 as a starter, 2 time pro bowler, All-Pro, and league MVP in basically 4.5 years as a starter but for some reason "he isn't that good". I also never understand why his rushing ability seems to be held against him like it's a negative thing.

2015 Peyton Manning had a noodle arm and some poor coaching decisions that year killed us and put us on the road in Denver and gave noodle arm just enough of an advantage to beat us and win a fraudulent ring.

The normal losses don't bother me. We're way ahead of the game. If the Pats have a losing season for the next decade they'll still be ahead.

As for Lamar, stats are meaningless, especially since some of them are based on votes by potentially biased voters. When he has a decent playoff run (he doesn't have to win it all) then we can talk about his greatness. Right now the only thing great about him is his ability to make players miss when he runs. As a passer he looks average.

Yeah, I regularly cite Mahomes and Deshaun Watson as two of the best QB’s in the league… but LJ’s skin tone is a problem.

Not just dumb, but lazy. You’re a joke.
Don't get sucked into that BS angle by the race-baiters. You know that happens when they've lost the argument which was based on unbiased observation, performance, rational analysis and metrics.

Just because a QB is highly functional in his offensive system doesn't mean the QB is an elite player.

Are you arguing Jackson is just as good of a QB as Mahomes, AR, TB12 because his TD % is comparable?

LJ performs very, very well in a system which accentuates his strengths which is running and play action and sticking to his 1st read.

agreed, if LJ got a high ankle sprain or something, he'd be a completely different QB

This argument will resume tomorrow.

They gave Jackson 1:58

They gave Jackson 1:58
to get within Tucker's FG range..I mean...wow...what a friggin' super duper never before seen only LaMary moment....what year was it that Tucker last MISSED a FG?...oh wait, he hasn't missed since Lamarred joined the Ravens...proving once again the gaa gaa goony goo goo sphincter cavity echo chamber bleatings of 203 and the rest of the "Lamar-struck" cheerleader squad will continue unabated. Carry on Collinsworth Jrs....the thread is yours to splooge in the rest of the week

Lamar didn't play all that well again for 2nd week in a row but luckily for Baltimore, Burrow wasn't at his best either. Lamar did just enough to get them in range for GW kick.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back