PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL QB Rankings (looking toward 2023)

I think you'd see something similar to TB12 w/o Gronk. He'd still put up numbers.

See SB vs Tampa
But they lost big right ...

I see every QB needs a weapon . All I am saying is the QB with Mediocre weapons isn't gonna go far.

We somehow eked out a win against rams in 2018 . That's more an exception than the rule . Talent wise eagles and 49ers seem otherworldly and their QBs are nowhere in class next to mahomes or burrow. So we will see how it goes.

If mahomes wins a ring this year then we know that mahomes is the only QB in league who can do more with less..

Last edited:
But they lost big right ...

I see every QB needs a weapon . All I am saying is the QB with Mediocre weapons isn't gonna go far.

We somehow eked out a win against if mahomes wins it rams in 2018 . That's more an exception than the rule . Talent wise eagles and 49ers seem otherworldly and their QBs are nowhere in class next to mahomes or burrow. So we will see how it goes.

If mahomes wins a ring this year then we know that mahomes is the only QB in league who can do more with less..
Mahomes is a freak with mad skills. His stats are off the charts in his first 5 seasons. He's had great skill position players around him but I'm sure he would still excel with less. However, if he loses to Burrow in the AFCCG, then he'll be 1-3 in conference championships games at home, with 2 back-to-back losses to Burrow, and he'll be replaced by Burrow as the best QB in the NFL. So this is a legacy game for these two quarterbacks, with a lot of pressure on Mahomes (especially if he's limited with the ankle injury) because if he loses then fair or not he's going to look like he's underachieving.

Dak Prescott has proven to be overrated.
Mr Irrelevant is still an unknown. He looks pretty good though.
That’s the crux of how these popularity lists are created… based on results usually the result of team play. The QB becomes the hero or whipping boy based on team results.

The 49ers are sort of the exception to the rule (about the value of quarterbacks) because they're very well balanced at every position
Yeah that’s the thing. There’s so many exceptions to the rule it’s not a rule at all. Great teams have great lines, tackles, kickers and DB’s… how is QB different? News flash; You need good players!
You doing cartwheels over Purdy advancing to the conference championship game seems a bit premature. Let's see how things turn out @PHI with a legitimate MVP candidate quarterback opposing him.
Purdy is 6’1,” he’s succeeding with the tools that made you call Zappe or even Mac “a career backup.” Smallish, weak arms… hell add Brady, Brees and Montana to that list.
As for Dak Prescott, he's not an upper tier quarterback because he comes up small in the big moments. Dallas won't get past the divisional round with Dak. He's not a winner.
He was, then he lost it as soon as the team around him got worse. Magic.
And by the way, my final regular season QB rankings:

14. Brock Purdy
15. Aaron Rodgers
16. Daniel Jones
17. Dak Prescott

The better QB won the game. And Dak is in the bottom half of my rankings. Where he belongs.
Purdy went from 3rd string to franchise caliber overnight… I thought it took an alien spacecraft crash landing in a Kansas field?
Who's in the AFCCG? Mahomes, the best quarterback in the NFL currently, in his 5th consecutive conference championship game. Burrow, the 2nd or 3rd best quarterback in the NFL for the last two seasons, making his second straight CCG. So arguably the two best quarterbacks in the NFL. How are you claiming any sort of victory here? Explain that.
There’s 32 teams, there’s very few QB jobs available. Aaron Rogers is sitting home watching the playoffs and magically he’s fallen off your list… proving the arbitrary nature of such lists.

That’s the crux of how these popularity lists are created… based on results usually the result of team play. The QB becomes the hero or whipping boy based on team results.
The same thing happens with coaches.

Yeah that’s the thing. There’s so many exceptions to the rule it’s not a rule at all. Great teams have great lines, tackles, kickers and DB’s… how is QB different? News flash; You need good players!
I get that. QBs needs good players around them too. However, elite QBs don't need as much as lesser QBs. What's the Patriots record this season if they have Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Herbert or a healthy Jackson? All of those QBs would have at least guaranteed a playoff spot.

Purdy is 6’1,” he’s succeeding with the tools that made you call Zappe or even Mac “a career backup.” Smallish, weak arms… hell add Brady, Brees and Montana to that list.
Smallish, weak arm? No, you can't add Brady to that list.

I thought Zappe was a wasted draft pick when it was made. And it may still be for the Patriots if he never gets a legitimate shot as the starter. But I mostly liked what I saw of him and I think he may have Purdy-like potential in the right situation. Again, we'll see how Purdy looks the rest of the postseason. But for next season, if I had to choose between Mac and Zappe right now, then I would go with Zappe.

Purdy went from 3rd string to franchise caliber overnight… I thought it took an alien spacecraft crash landing in a Kansas field?
Essentially you're describing Brady's arrival in NE. An afterthought 6th round draft pick turning out to be the greatest quarterback in the history of the NFL is the equivalent of an alien spacecraft landing in a Foxboro field.

There’s 32 teams, there’s very few QB jobs available. Aaron Rogers is sitting home watching the playoffs and magically he’s fallen off your list… proving the arbitrary nature of such lists.
Did you watch Rodgers this season? From what I saw he looked like a diminished player. He's 39 so it's not a magical occurrence. He also lost Adams which undoubtedly was a factor. Rodgers is a 4x NFL MVP, so he's been an enormously talented quarterback (as he likes to remind people), but obviously he can't do it alone, that was never the argument, and as he's getting older (with diminishing skills), he'll need more help and certainly he will suffer from losing an elite WR like Adams.

I get that. QBs needs good players around them too. However, elite QBs don't need as much as lesser QBs. What's the Patriots record this season if they have Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Herbert or a healthy Jackson? All of those QBs would have at least guaranteed a playoff spot.
Oh please, Mahomes is a great QB but he is made so much better by Reid it’s not funny. Reid created offense with Matt Moore at QB when Mahomes was injured. Mike Vick had the most consistent season of his career with Reid. All those QB’s would have had a down year with Patricia as their coordinator. And Jackson… he’s won a single playoff game in his entire career, stop pretending he didn’t peak in year two.
Smallish, weak arm? No, you can't add Brady to that list.
The only thing Brady had was a few inches more height, his “weak arm” was well documented by draft experts… that’s how you go in the 6th round.
I thought Zappe was a wasted draft pick when it was made. And it may still be for the Patriots if he never gets a legitimate shot as the starter. But I mostly liked what I saw of him and I think he may have Purdy-like potential in the right situation. Again, we'll see how Purdy looks the rest of the postseason. But for next season, if I had to choose between Mac and Zappe right now, then I would go with Zappe.
The Eagles, Bengals and Chiefs are the best of the best. If the 49ers lose but Purdy plays as well as he has been it won’t be his fault. QB’s are only one player in one phase of a game with three phases. Aaron Rogers lost in the playoffs last season because his special teams unit turned the ball over three times. Tom Brady lost last season because Todd Bowles played press man coverage with a minute left in the game and a lead. It’s a team game.
Essentially you're describing Brady's arrival in NE. An afterthought 6th round draft pick turning out to be the greatest quarterback in the history of the NFL is the equivalent of an alien spacecraft landing in a Foxboro field.
He was drafted and developed. He threw 1 TD in the entire 2001 postseason, you were probably 12 at the time so I get why nostalgia has you thinking he was the coming of Superman. The reality was that was a running team that protected their rookie quarterback from himself and Tom to his credit did what Purdy is doing… just not losing the game and making the correct reads.
Did you watch Rodgers this season? From what I saw he looked like a diminished player. He's 39 so it's not a magical occurrence. He also lost Adams which undoubtedly was a factor. Rodgers is a 4x NFL MVP, so he's been an enormously talented quarterback (as he likes to remind people), but obviously he can't do it alone, that was never the argument, and as he's getting older (with diminishing skills), he'll need more help and certainly he will suffer from losing an elite WR like Adams.
Rogers has had 4-3 and 6-9 record seasons immediately following his Super Bowl win in 2011. He went 13-3 in three consecutive seasons after that. Team matters more than having a Super Star QB. Both Drew Brees and Deshaun Watson led the entire NFL in passing yards and were tops in TD’s… their teams sucked and they had losing records. Funny how you ignore examples like these.

Oh please, Mahomes is a great QB but he is made so much better by Reid it’s not funny. Reid created offense with Matt Moore at QB when Mahomes was injured. Mike Vick had the most consistent season of his career with Reid. All those QB’s would have had a down year with Patricia as their coordinator. And Jackson… he’s won a single playoff game in his entire career, stop pretending he didn’t peak in year two.
I have to give it to you, you're dedicated to your argument. Reid made Mahomes? Do you realize that Mahomes' production in Reid's offense is lightyears better than it has been with any other quarterback?

The only thing Brady had was a few inches more height, his “weak arm” was well documented by draft experts… that’s how you go in the 6th round.
I'm not pulling up old draft reports on Brady, but as he's exhibited throughout his spectacular career, his arm isn't weak.

The Eagles, Bengals and Chiefs are the best of the best. If the 49ers lose but Purdy plays as well as he has been it won’t be his fault. QB’s are only one player in one phase of a game with three phases. Aaron Rogers lost in the playoffs last season because his special teams unit turned the ball over three times. Tom Brady lost last season because Todd Bowles played press man coverage with a minute left in the game and a lead. It’s a team game.
We agree on the 'team game' concept. We differ on the importance of individuals and phases within that. When breaking it down this way, I have the QB as the most important individual piece, which I'm not sure you'd even disagree with. I just put more importance on the QB than you.

Like the 'three phases.' While technically correct, there are in fact three phases, ST are generally far less impactful than offense and defense.

Regarding the GB playoff loss to SF, you left out Rodgers' ultra conservative approach throughout the game. He was playing not to lose and it bit him in the ass. He almost exclusively targeted Adams and Aaron Jones (who broke off a 75-yard catch and run on their only big play). Rodgers tightened up in the playoff loss to the Bucs a season earlier too. He had 1st-goal and he locked in on Adams who was blanketed by the Bucs defense. His tunnel vision prevented him from taking a clear path to the end zone on the 3rd down. He choked.

He was drafted and developed. He threw 1 TD in the entire 2001 postseason, you were probably 12 at the time so I get why nostalgia has you thinking he was the coming of Superman. The reality was that was a running team that protected their rookie quarterback from himself and Tom to his credit did what Purdy is doing… just not losing the game and making the correct reads.
He took a 5-13 team and went on a 14-3 run to a Super Bowl title. No way that was happening with Bledsoe or any other quarterback at BB's disposal at that time. Brady has had a uniquely remarkable career. It shouldn't be that hard for you to admit.

Rogers has had 4-3 and 6-9 record seasons immediately following his Super Bowl win in 2011. He went 13-3 in three consecutive seasons after that. Team matters more than having a Super Star QB. Both Drew Brees and Deshaun Watson led the entire NFL in passing yards and were tops in TD’s… their teams sucked and they had losing records. Funny how you ignore examples like these.
Isolated examples of elite QBs playing well and still having a losing record is not proof of anything. Other than that can happen, which I never denied. It's not the norm.

Oh please, Mahomes is a great QB but he is made so much better by Reid it’s not funny.
I'm sure he's better because of Reid. Here's a question for you though.

Who would be the GOAT QB if the Cleveland Browns had taken a flier on Tom Brady in the 6th round instead of Spergon Wynn? You think the Browns win 6 and Brady is the GOAT?

Who would be the GOAT QB if the Cleveland Browns had taken a flier on Tom Brady in the 6th round instead of Spergon Wynn? You think the Browns win 6 and Brady is the GOAT?

There's an article that people can no longer access, but it was in The Sporting News, and it was written in 2001. It listed the teams, from 1-32, from most likely to least likely to win the SB in the next decade. The Patriots were ranked 32nd. At that time, despite a little spike from Parcells in the 90s, the Patriots were considered one of the league's doormat franchises, or just above that level. They had virtually no offensive weapons and were in decline, going 5-11 in 2000.

Do I think the Browns win 6? Who knows? Probably not. Maybe Brady sells insurance. But maybe he wins 9. Or maybe 2. No one can ever know the answer to that. But it's revisionist history to proclaim the 0-2 2001 Patriots (5-13 under Belichick) were anything like an ideal situation for a young QB.

I can tell you that according to at least one major writer, in 2000, the Browns were considered more likely to win a Super Bowl in the 10 years than the Patriots, as were the Lions, Jets, and every other franchise. And that opinion was not some crazy outlier. If they weren't dead last, they were most definitely in the very bottom rung, given the total perception of their assets, players, coaches, etc.

The Browns were 3-13 in 2000. They had the 28th ranked defense, they had the 30th ranked rushing offense and had the 13th highest sack percentage in the NFL. Outside of 2007 they won single digit games for the next two decades and didn't win a playoff game until 2020, but they only played in one other playoff game in that time so... If Tom Brady was drafted by the Browns he'd be an insurance salesman in California.

He wasn't a running QB, he wasn't elusive enough to play behind horrible offensive lines and bad defenses... and back in 2000 defenders were still allowed to destroy a QB if they got him in their sights.

In twenty years in New England he played on some of the best teams in the league. This is one of the most accurate and definitive stats regarding Tom and his career.

r0W9MDM.png

Not only the best defenses, some of the best rushing attacks, offensive lines and special teams for two decades. It didn't change when he went to Tampa in 2020, they were excellent all around him. Tom's peers went through head coaching changes, serious deficiencies in talent around them. It's team game, QB's are like every other position, they need great players and organizations around them to win rings. Nobody does it alone.

There's an article that people can no longer access, but it was in The Sporting News, and it was written in 2001. It listed the teams, from 1-32, from most likely to least likely to win the SB in the next decade. The Patriots were ranked 32nd.
I'm sure it was an interesting article, but it was someone's guess and nothing more. The San Francisco 49ers were terrible heading into 1980. The Steelers were terrible in the late 60's early 70s. The Cowboys were 1-15 when an ownership and coaching change turned them into a mini dynasty. The Dolphins won 3.75 games a year in the AFL from 66-69. The Chiefs were 2-14 in 2012. Super Bowls were not foreseeable in any of these cases.

Not only the best defenses, some of the best rushing attacks, offensive lines and special teams for two decades. It didn't change when he went to Tampa in 2020, they were excellent all around him. Tom's peers went through head coaching changes, serious deficiencies in talent around them. It's team game, QB's are like every other position, they need great players and organizations around them to win rings. Nobody does it alone.
With all that incredible good fortune around Brady while every other quarterback in the league was living through their own version of the Titanic for two decades, it's a wonder Brady doesn't have 21 rings.

With all that incredible good fortune around Brady while every other quarterback in the league was living through their own version of the Titanic for two decades, it's a wonder Brady doesn't have 21 rings.
He has more rings and playoff wins than any QB in history…

But you think he did it on his own with his coaches, defense, offensive linemen, weapons and special teams riding his coattails. Just a naive interpretation of football in general.

If your magic QB theory held true Tom would have 21 rings… he doesn’t.

The defensive ranking over Brady’s career in relation to his all-time peers is a stat, not an opinion… it’s a fact. But I know facts make superfans uncomfortable.

He has more rings and playoff wins than any QB in history…

But you think he did it on his own with his coaches, defense, offensive linemen, weapons and special teams riding his coattails. Just a naive interpretation of football in general.

If your magic QB theory held true Tom would have 21 rings… he doesn’t.

The defensive ranking over Brady’s career in relation to his all-time peers is a stat, not an opinion… it’s a fact. But I know facts make superfans uncomfortable.
I love stats...

Most Super Bowl Titles All-Time

7 = Tom Brady

6 = New England Patriots
6 = Pittsburgh Steelers
5 = San Francisco 49ers
5 = Dallas Cowboys

Most Super Bowl MVPs

5 = Tom Brady

3 = Joe Montana
2 = Bart Starr
2 = Terry Bradshaw
2 = Eli Manning

Most Super Bowl Game-Winning Drives

6 = Tom Brady

2 = Terry Bradshaw
2 = Eli Manning

Most Postseason Game-Winning Drives

14 = Tom Brady

6 = John Elway
5 = Joe Montana
5 = Eli Manning

There's an article that people can no longer access, but it was in The Sporting News, and it was written in 2001. It listed the teams, from 1-32, from most likely to least likely to win the SB in the next decade. The Patriots were ranked 32nd. At that time, despite a little spike from Parcells in the 90s, the Patriots were considered one of the league's doormat franchises, or just above that level. They had virtually no offensive weapons and were in decline, going 5-11 in 2000.

Do I think the Browns win 6? Who knows? Probably not. Maybe Brady sells insurance. But maybe he wins 9. Or maybe 2. No one can ever know the answer to that. But it's revisionist history to proclaim the 0-2 2001 Patriots (5-13 under Belichick) were anything like an ideal situation for a young QB.

I can tell you that according to at least one major writer, in 2000, the Browns were considered more likely to win a Super Bowl in the 10 years than the Patriots, as were the Lions, Jets, and every other franchise. And that opinion was not some crazy outlier. If they weren't dead last, they were most definitely in the very bottom rung, given the total perception of their assets, players, coaches, etc.
It was around 1998, but my brother (born 1957) and I agreed that the Patriots would never win the Super Bowl in our lifetimes. Or our children's lifetimes.

We watched the December 18, 1976 F*cked Yule live on TV together.

The NFL has a bit of a quarterback crisis heading into the 2023 season.

Tier 1 Quarterbacks (guaranteed postseason appearance)

Chiefs (Patrick Mahomes)
Bills (Josh Allen)
Bengals (Joe Burrow)

Tier 2 Quarterbacks (probable postseason appearance)

Eagles (Jalen Hurts)
Baltimore (Lamar Jackson)
Chargers (Justin Herbert)

Future Upper Tier Quarterbacks

Jaguars (Trevor Lawrence)
Bears (Justin Fields)

Prove You're Legit

Dolphins (Tua Tagovailoa)
Seahawks (Geno Smith)
Lions (Jared Goff)
Giants (Daniel Jones)

Comeback Player of the Year (2023)?

Rams (Matthew Stafford)
Cardinals (Kyler Murray)
Browns (Deshaun Watson)
Broncos (Russell Wilson)
? (Derek Carr)

Stats Are For Losers (numbers look good but aren't winners)

Packers (Aaron Rodgers)
Vikings (Kirk Cousins)
Cowboys (Dak Prescott)

Sorry Not Sorry (I don't see it happening but please prove me wrong)

Patriots (Mac Jones)

You Don't Have a Designation (undetermined potential)

49ers (Trey Lance)
Steelers (Kenny Pickett)

I Think You're ****ed (literally no starting QB or a bad one)

Jets
Titans
Colts
Texans
Raiders
Commanders
Buccaneers
Panthers
Saints
Falcons

Minor adjustment to the top of my rankings...

01. Patrick Mahomes*
02. Josh Allen
03. Joe Burrow
04. Jalen Hurts

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back