PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL QB Rankings (looking toward 2023)

A couple of comments:

1. I find QB rankings to be an entire waste of time. It's like the "Brady beats Manning" mantra of old. You are completely ignoring the OTHER 44 guys that suited up that day. I understand that making all about so called one on one match ups for players who NEVER see each other on the field at the same time, except for postgame handshakes; but football is the ULTIMATE team game, and these friggin' rankings don't take into account the OTHER 10 guys who are contributing to success (or failure) of each play. Those individual match ups are an invention of TV PR guys to sell the game to the public.

They don't take into account the balls that hit receivers in the hands but are deflected into picks. They don't take into account picks that were dropped by defenders. I sometimes despair about how the fact that THIS game we all should love BECAUSE the success of every player is so connected and affected by the play of 10 other guys, had been distilled into individual battles. THAT is one of the reasons the game is one you can fall in love with. Show me a QB who is behind a good OL, and THAT QB is going to be better. Where in all those QB measurements is that factored in? I love football because at the end of a losing game it is NEVER one guy's fault.....or one coaches' fault. You win as a team and you LOSE as a team.

Yet BLAMING someone has somehow become the national pass time. (And I wish to GOD that it was only evident in sports, but it has infiltrated our entire society. Why? Simple, Because it is EASY to blame. It takes little effort. It makes you feel good. AND in most cases no one is asking you to do the hard work to fix the problem. But enough of a comment that may stay into non-football areas.

2. SHOCKING to see the Pats as the betting favorite to land Jackson. This would be the last place I'd pick, because of all the reasons we didn't draft him in the FIRST place.

3. Craw made an interesting comment on whether the Ravens offense is a "unicorn". He felt it was simply what teams do when they have players who have unique skills, they try to put them into position where they will best be able to succeed, like EVERY team does. I agree. BUT you left out an important factor. They also have to factor in a player's LIMITATIONS as well.

The Ravens offense will soon lose it's "unicorn" title anyways as more and more QB's who are running threats become the norm and OC's will use that skill with running plays designed for their QB's. BUT, I still believe that despite the gawdy running stats and highlight reel plays, QB's who drop back into the pocket and have time to throw will he more effective and healthier in the long run, from that position. Escapability in that pocket IS important (and something Mac NEEDS to develop) BUT the best RUNNING QB in the league was Justin Fields with over 1000 yds and THAT effort got HIS team the #1 pick in the draft. Just sayin'

But so called "athletic QB's" are the next trendy thing for the NFL and it will take some time for defenses to "solve" that puzzle. But as someone posted above, teams seem to be doing a better job at solving what the Ravens have been doing so well. So lets see how it all develop.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian
I can’t see bill breaking the bank for Lamar but it would be very exciting.

Me either but it'd be exciting for sure, obviously an extremely different offensive approach. Lamar + Rhamondre would be fun... it'd be nice to have a Mark Andrews though. Henry is a nice enough receiver but not the best blocker. Maybe the next OC can get Jonnu going.

the best RUNNING QB in the league was Justin Fields with over 1000 yds and THAT effort got HIS team the #1 pick in the draft. Just sayin'
Other than the odd heave downfield, any time I watched the Bears Fields was either making yards with his legs after a busted play or he was getting sacked. For me Fields needs to develop as a passer or the Bears will be looking for another QB soon.

A couple of comments:

1. I find QB rankings to be an entire waste of time. It's like the "Brady beats Manning" mantra of old. You are completely ignoring the OTHER 44 guys that suited up that day. I understand that making all about so called one on one match ups for players who NEVER see each other on the field at the same time, except for postgame handshakes; but football is the ULTIMATE team game, and these friggin' rankings don't take into account the OTHER 10 guys who are contributing to success (or failure) of each play. Those individual match ups are an invention of TV PR guys to sell the game to the public.

They don't take into account the balls that hit receivers in the hands but are deflected into picks. They don't take into account picks that were dropped by defenders. I sometimes despair about how the fact that THIS game we all should love BECAUSE the success of every player is so connected and affected by the play of 10 other guys, had been distilled into individual battles. THAT is one of the reasons the game is one you can fall in love with. Show me a QB who is behind a good OL, and THAT QB is going to be better. Where in all those QB measurements is that factored in? I love football because at the end of a losing game it is NEVER one guy's fault.....or one coaches' fault. You win as a team and you LOSE as a team.

Yet BLAMING someone has somehow become the national pass time. (And I wish to GOD that it was only evident in sports, but it has infiltrated our entire society. Why? Simple, Because it is EASY to blame. It takes little effort. It makes you feel good. AND in most cases no one is asking you to do the hard work to fix the problem. But enough of a comment that may stay into non-football areas.

2. SHOCKING to see the Pats as the betting favorite to land with the Pats. This would be the last place I'd pick, because of all the reasons we didn't draft him in the FIRST place.

3. Craw made an interesting comment on whether the Ravens offense is a "unicorn". He felt it was simply what teams do when they have players who have unique skills, they try to put them into position where they will best be able to succeed, like EVERY team does. I agree. BUT you left out an important factor. They also have to factor in a player's LIMITATIONS as well.

The Ravens offense will soon lose it's "unicorn" title anyways as more and more QB's who are running threats become the norm and OC's will use that skill with running plays designed for their QB's. BUT, I still believe that despite the gawdy running stats and highlight reel plays, QB's who drop back into the pocket and have time to throw will he more effective and healthier in the long run, from that position. Escapability in that pocket IS important (and something Mac NEEDS to develop) BUT the best RUNNING QB in the league was Justin Fields with over 1000 yds and THAT effort got HIS team the #1 pick in the draft. Just sayin'

But so called "athletic QB's" are the next trendy thing for the NFL and it will take some time for defenses to "solve" that puzzle. But as someone posted above, teams seem to be doing a better job at solving what the Ravens have been doing so well. So lets see how it all develop.
Given the astronomical costs involved, and the increasing tendency of high-end QB's to insist on long term deals with hefty guarantees, any team would be foolish in taking on an "athletic quarterback" not to take into account the effect of such qbs' need to play a style that puts them perpetually at risk of damaging even crippling injuries which nearly always limit and can often end the career of these fragile "unicorns." I'd pass on the guy: no question at all.

Last edited:

I doubt this is accurate. If it's a FA situation then there's no way NE is outbidding everyone else and I can't see Lamar choosing NE from a list of multiple suiters. If it's a trade and sign then NE won't meet the compensation demands and again Lamar will probably find the trade partner first anyway.

He'll be a limping wreck with sub-par passing skills within the year. We have seen this before, right?
Shhhhhh... the Jets or Phins might hear you.

I doubt this is accurate. If it's a FA situation then there's no way NE is outbidding everyone else and I can't see Lamar choosing NE from a list of multiple suiters. If it's a trade and sign then NE won't meet the compensation demands and again Lamar will probably find the trade partner first anyway.
Seems unlikely to me too but interesting that he's the favorite from an odds standpoint.

I could see a situation where Baltimore tags him and NE works out a deal with him at the same time he's traded. But that feels far out of left field.

Does anyone really believe that Bill is going to go after Jackson? C'mon man!

But what if Bob sends Bill packing? Maybe Bill's replacement will want Jackson.

Imagine how many new season tickets would be sold to fans coming to see the former MVP.

Goodbye Bill and hello Lamar.

Better update these rankings and switch your 2 and 3.

Imagine how many new season tickets would be sold to fans coming to see the former MVP.

There is a waiting list for season tickets.
Why? Because Bill Belichick led this franchise to 6 titles.
You want to dump the biggest winner of all time for the guy who has won nothing.

Given his style of play, his history already, and his questionable character; there is virtually no chance Lamar will have an extended career at a high level. Teams keep falling for the snazzy-athlete-as-QB thing: it rarely works out past a year or two. Generally the body gives out before the passing and game management skills rise to a level such that they can compensate for the physical decline. I'm a firm No Thanks.

BESIDES, Given last year's coaching fiasco we have no idea what we really have in Mac.
Because he rejected a deal that paid him $50m guaranteed lesser than Kyler Murray?

That offer is an insult, Lamar Jackson is 45-16 as a starter, Kyler is 25-31 there's no way you can accept that deal.

Hahaha!!!

Lamar Jackson has one playoff win in his entire career… one. And on a team that won a a Super Bowl with Joe Flacco at QB.

4 postseason games: one win, 56% completions, 3 TD's/5 INT's, 68 QBR, 19 sacks, 113 passing yards per game, 6.6 yards per attempt and 5 fumbles… and you want to fire the best coach and team builder in history for him.

This is why the moment real football guys start listening to fans, they’ll find themselves on the unemployment line.

Brock beat Dak… how is it possible that a franchise caliber QB like Dak got beat by Mr Irrelevant?

Oh yeah… team.
Dak Prescott has proven to be overrated.
Mr Irrelevant is still an unknown. He looks pretty good though.

We agree that it's about the team and it isn't just about the QB. That's how the Bears got to the SB with Rex Grossman as QB and Lovie Smith as HC. They had a great defense and STs.

Brock beat Dak… how is it possible that a franchise caliber QB like Dak got beat by Mr Irrelevant?

Oh yeah… team.
The 49ers are sort of the exception to the rule (about the value of quarterbacks) because they're very well balanced at every position (A+ roster building) but they haven't won a Super Bowl since 1994 when HOFer Steve Young was their quarterback (and had an all-world SB performance). And, oh yeah, their 4 other Super Bowl championships came with Joe Montana behind center, you know, one of the greatest quarterbacks in the history of the league. The franchise has been in existence since 1946 and they have 5 championships with two HOF quarterbacks. The last two postseasons they lost because THEIR QUARTERBACK wasn't good enough. See how that works?

You doing cartwheels over Purdy advancing to the conference championship game seems a bit premature. Let's see how things turn out @PHI with a legitimate MVP candidate quarterback opposing him.

As for Dak Prescott, he's not an upper tier quarterback because he comes up small in the big moments. Dallas won't get past the divisional round with Dak. He's not a winner.

And by the way, my final regular season QB rankings:

14. Brock Purdy
15. Aaron Rodgers
16. Daniel Jones
17. Dak Prescott

The better QB won the game. And Dak is in the bottom half of my rankings. Where he belongs.

QB… the most important position and the thing that wins games above all.

Laugh riot
Who's in the AFCCG? Mahomes, the best quarterback in the NFL currently, in his 5th consecutive conference championship game. Burrow, the 2nd or 3rd best quarterback in the NFL for the last two seasons, making his second straight CCG. So arguably the two best quarterbacks in the NFL. How are you claiming any sort of victory here? Explain that.

Mahomes has a freaking wall for an offense and a dynamic safety valve in Kelce who touchwood has never been hurt. I want to see how mahomes does it without Kelce or when they have a turnstile OL.

Credit due to KC defensive coach who rallies the team and makes them perform more than their individual talent .

But 49ers and Rams last year have shown that above average QB and solid supporting cast with few all pro is the way to win championships .

49ers or eagles will win this time . Talent is insane on both teams . Quite a long way for us to catch up unless we tank and are willing to have 1 reset year again like 2020.

Because he rejected a deal that paid him $50m guaranteed lesser than Kyler Murray?

That offer is an insult, Lamar Jackson is 45-16 as a starter, Kyler is 25-31 there's no way you can accept that deal.
Because he bailed on the team as a negotiating ploy. As for these astronomical "offers," his career is probably more than half over already, because he has evidently been too lazy over time to work on all the skills a qb requires in full measure, neglecting in particular the skills he will need when - in a year or so - he's half-crippled because his limited skills do not permit him to play the position in a sustainable manner.

No thanks, One Cam was more than enough for me.

Please no Lamar Jackson . He might take us to off season and we will be done .

We can do the same with Mac or zappe with better coaching and possibly lesser cost .

Just try to get 2 marquee OT, 2 marquee Wr , 1 marquee DE , 1 marquee CB and we can do with above average QB .

Make sure 3 out of 6 players play on rookie contracts which means we just need to keep investing high draft picks in these players . WR1 and OT need to be had from mix of 1st round draft and FA trades.

Mahomes has a freaking wall for an offense and a dynamic safety valve in Kelce who touchwood has never been hurt.
I think you'd see something similar to TB12 w/o Gronk. He'd still put up numbers.
I want to see how mahomes does it without Kelce or when they have a turnstile OL.
See SB vs Tampa

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back