PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL QB Rankings (looking toward 2023)

Have you seen the offense they run?
To maximize his skills you need to spend your resources in areas that are different than traditional offenses.
Sure they could build a traditional offensive roster and Jackson would struggle. It’s not his game.
You want to keep the ball in the hands of your best player but Baltimore isn't running a unicorn scheme offense. But whatever offense any team is running the objective is to maximize the talent at every position... WR, TE, RB, o-line. You also can't say Lamar would struggle in a particular scheme unless you've seen it first. Scheme isn't the issue, Lamar needs more talent around him.

I said for next season. I understand the long term risk with Lamar due to injury. However if he's healthy heading into next season then he's the better option over Herbert for a single season.

Lamar's "meh passer," I hear it all the time, despite the TD passes and the exceptionally high TD% and the very good passer rating, but whatever, he's a better FOOTBALL PLAYER than Herbert. He's proven that with passing stats + running stats + winning%.
I mean, if you want to argue that Lamar can be efficient as a passer, I won't disagree. If you want to call him an elite passer, I will laugh.

If he was, he could survive the loss of speed. He can't, because he is a very meh passer who cannot manipulate coverage with his eyes.

He is an ELITE athlete. Probably the best pure athlete we have seen at the QB position ever. But he is not an elite QB.

I mean, if you want to argue that Lamar can be efficient as a passer, I won't disagree. If you want to call him an elite passer, I will laugh.

If he was, he could survive the loss of speed. He can't, because he is a very meh passer who cannot manipulate coverage with his eyes.

He is an ELITE athlete. Probably the best pure athlete we have seen at the QB position ever. But he is not an elite QB.
I mean time will tell how effective he is without speed. He’s only 26; still think he’s 4-5 years away from seeing a real decline in his running ability. Agree he’s not the most polished traditional passer but he’s better than most are giving him credit for.

Is the offense that caters to Lamar's strength more expensive than a traditional offense? I've wondered this. Any insight?

Great post until you sh*t on Lamar.

Lamar averaged 6.8 yards per carry this season. Second highest of his career and 0.7 yards per carry above his career average. He's not a descending running QB.

He also had 508 yards of offense in a playoff loss once. Was that a choke too?

He just turned 26. Unless he retires he'll have more opportunities for playoff success. Generally your postseason legacy isn't cemented by your mid-20's.

Problem is it’s hard to gauge efficiency for running QBs because they take a lot of sacks that aren’t factored into rushing average. So if he’s unable to turn it into a running attempt (past LOS) it often goes down as a sack rather than a negative rush attempt. Look at his sack % below…in his breakout year 5.4% and since then steadily increasing. ANY/A is probably the best measure of a QB’s efficiency because it gives them responsibility for everything, including passing, rushing, sacks, etc. Lamar has gone from MVP level in 2018 to the average range overall. That’s a very large sample size from the last three seasons.

I agree he is still good, especially considering the lack of weapons, though Baltimore’s defense has been great.

I’d rank him somewhere in the 10-12 range if healthy. He can take over a game like few can and presents huge challenges. He has a low int rate and makes good decisions overall.

Problem is he, like so many others, simply isn’t a top level passer who can destroy defenses consistently through the air.

Given his regression and injuries, I think he’s still a solid starter but not like a top 5 guy or someone who will consistently be in the MVP running again.

1673907501817.png

Problem is it’s hard to gauge efficiency for running QBs because they take a lot of sacks that aren’t factored into rushing average. So if he’s unable to turn it into a running attempt (past LOS) it often goes down as a sack rather than a negative rush attempt. Look at his sack % below…in his breakout year 5.4% and since then steadily increasing. ANY/A is probably the best measure of a QB’s efficiency because it gives them responsibility for everything, including passing, rushing, sacks, etc. Lamar has gone from MVP level in 2018 to the average range overall. That’s a very large sample size from the last three seasons.

I agree he is still good, especially considering the lack of weapons, though Baltimore’s defense has been great.

I’d rank him somewhere in the 10-12 range if healthy. He can take over a game like few can and presents huge challenges. He has a low int rate and makes good decisions overall.

Problem is he, like so many others, simply isn’t a top level passer who can destroy defenses consistently through the air.

Given his regression and injuries, I think he’s still a solid starter but not like a top 5 guy or someone who will consistently be in the MVP running again.

View attachment 49154
That's an excellent post so I'm not going to pick at it. I'll just say I definitely have Lamar in the 6-10 range of QB rankings. No way I'm putting him lower than 10. Also I think is passing stats have been compromised due to below average WRs. I think overall his potential remains elite top tier level. Especially with a better supporting cast than what he's had to this point in his career.

I'm pretty sure you can't say that last sentence after accurately stating the first two.

I am surprised at how many people think L
Jackson is going to lead a team to a championship. Literally think he’d need early 2000 Ravens or TB D to get that done.

I am surprised at how many people think L
Jackson is going to lead a team to a championship. Literally think he’d need early 2000 Ravens or TB D to get that done.
LOL you think Lamar is a total POS then. ************. I'm convinced some of the Lamar hate here comes from the IBWTers because BB passed on Lamar twice in the draft.

I'm pretty sure you can't say that last sentence after accurately stating the first two.
Well, he is a mediocre passer who only has a fast ball and make a simple screen look difficult.

If you look at highlights and numbers, you might think he is elite. If you watch him play, you know he is a very meh passer.

It is not a coincidence he is **** in the playoffs.

LOL you think Lamar is a total POS then. ************. I'm convinced some of the Lamar hate here comes from the IBWTers because BB passed on Lamar twice in the draft.
That doesn’t really bother me - that BB passed him - there are all kinds of players in the league he bypassed that I’d love to see in NE.

I guess POS is a tad strong. But I don’t see his play translating to championships other than if his D is beyond dominant.

What is it you like so much about Lamar ? His last two injury filled seasons ? That one MVP that lead to nothing ? His zero SB wins ? His zero AFCCG appearances ?

Idiotic play calling starts. Plat action should have been 1st call.

You want to keep the ball in the hands of your best player but Baltimore isn't running a unicorn scheme offense. But whatever offense any team is running the objective is to maximize the talent at every position... WR, TE, RB, o-line. You also can't say Lamar would struggle in a particular scheme unless you've seen it first. Scheme isn't the issue, Lamar needs more talent around him.
Different schemes require different players and prioritize different positions and skills. If you don’t build around his running game with OL, TE, FB then he doesn’t run as well.

I already conceded I won't have a problem with Herbert above Lamar. However, in 3 seasons Herbert is 0-1 in the playoffs after being staked with a 27-0 lead. Herbert also is 25-24 in the regular season while Lamar is 45-16. Herbert also has not led the league in any statistical category. Herbert also has had the MUCH better supporting cast than Lamar.

The only reason why the Ravens even get to the postseason is because of Lamar. They're 8-13 when he doesn't start (again 45-16 with him). He's led the league in passing TD, TD%, and QBR. He won MVP OF THE LEAGUE. He might be the most lethal running quarterback in the history of the league.

By the way, no way Lamar fu*ks up that quarterback sneak from the 1-yard line last night.

But fine, despite all that, put Herbert one notch above Lamar.

BUT! if you're picking between Herbert and Lamar for just next season. In an instant I'm taking Lamar. And probably so are 32 GM's in the NFL. For certain they're taking Lamar over "a large gaggle of guys on that list below him."
It’s a team sport. Los Angeles has a coaching problem, not a Herbert problem.
Harbaugh has a ring, Staley sucks balls. He had that team beat, Herbert put up 30 points… the coaches made no adjustments and lost it in one of the biggest deficit comebacks of all time. How is that Herbert’s fault?

The Ravens lose in the playoffs specifically because of Lamar, 58% completions, 10 turnovers in 4 games, he is their biggest liability.

Sorry but you’re blinded by your binkie. Coaching matters, if watching the Pats offense this season didn’t prove that, then watching Brady flounder last night because he got Arians fired last night should have been enough.

We can drop Brady out of the top 10 now

Given his style of play, his history already, and his questionable character; there is virtually no chance Lamar will have an extended career at a high level. Teams keep falling for the snazzy-athlete-as-QB thing: it rarely works out past a year or two. Generally the body gives out before the passing and game management skills rise to a level such that they can compensate for the physical decline. I'm a firm No Thanks.

BESIDES, Given last year's coaching fiasco we have no idea what we really have in Mac.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back