PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL QB Rankings (looking toward 2023)

Jackson missed badly on a couple of downfield throws but he was perfect on the game-winning drive. That 20-yard run to get them in FG range was terrific. He still has the best TD% in the league too.

He's top 3 this year

Allen and Mahomes ahead

I'm not sure who else you'd put ahead this year, maybe Hurts (effciency-wise)?

He's top 3 this year

Allen and Mahomes ahead

I'm not sure who else you'd put ahead this year, maybe Hurts (effciency-wise)?
The NFL+ web page has your unbelievable hero-boy "bestest ever!" LaHeavenly Jackson rated EIGHTEENTH in the league in 2022

in the 2018 playoffs the Titans SLAUGHTERED the Rat Birds...LaGreatest had a huge 80 yard run and put up over 200 yards rushing....in a 28-12 CRUSHING LOSS. Your heroboy greatest ever" had THREE turnovers...three team murdering stupid blind bat turnovers but yeah...POM POM POM POM POM!!! He's "top three!!!!!!!" in the league. Wake the eff up...

The NFL+ web page has your unbelievable hero-boy "bestest ever!" LaHeavenly Jackson rated EIGHTEENTH in the league in 2022

in the 2018 playoffs the Titans SLAUGHTERED the Rat Birds...LaGreatest had a huge 80 yard run and put up over 200 yards rushing....in a 28-12 CRUSHING LOSS. Your heroboy greatest ever" had THREE turnovers...three team murdering stupid blind bat turnovers but yeah...POM POM POM POM POM!!! He's "top three!!!!!!!" in the league. Wake the eff up...
I think Lamar Jackson is a great football player, tough, athletic and smart. HOWEVER to date his skill set needs a specialized offense and the results never match the actual goals of a football team. Win PLAYOFF games and a championship. Now a third of the way into his 5th year Jackson has the SAME number of 300yd passing games as our 2nd string QB :)rolleyes: ) THREE. And in 4 chances he has ONE playoff win.

Here's the thing. By the end of the season the Raven's singular offense usually gets figured out AND the defenses get better. And as good a runner as Lamar is his arm can't carry his team. If I played FF, he's my #1 choice, BUT the real game is not about FF and sometimes I wonder if some fans forget this fun fact. :rolleyes:

As an aside, I caught the end of that Bengal Ravens game. I was a great final drive. HOWEVER I saw something on that key 20 yd run that made me grind my teeth in frustration. The replay showed, as Jackson was getting to the LOS there was a DLman or LB in the play that was caught in between Jackson and the pitchman. He got neither.

I was coaching in the late 70's and early 80's when the the triple option game was king. The key to stopping it was assigning at least one man to each option, the dive, QB and pitchman. Usually there was ONE guy who was more dangerous and HE sometimes got 2 man treatment. So without getting too much into the inner workings of the triple option was the defensive player in this case HAD a free shot at Jackson but tried to play both and got neither.

As the pendulum swings back a bit toward the D, as I planned a D against the ravens hybrid version of triple option single wing, I'd devote 2 guy whose job it was to hit Jacksokn as hard as they could EVERY time they ran that look. I would't matter if he had the ball or not. BECAUSE he's such a run threat, he can't be treated the same way other more traditional QB's are as far as rushing goes. When he drops back that one thing. When he's doing his RPO thing, is another.

Very overly simplistic view of a complex situation but the point remains.

BTW - I don't know about you, but having a thread about the QB of a HATED rival still on the board 3 weeks after the game is kind of insulting. You want to keep lauding him and whining about not drafting him, take it to a sub venue and wallow some more.

BTW - I don't know about you, but having a thread about the QB of a HATED rival still on the board 3 weeks after the game is kind of insulting. You want to keep lauding him and whining about not drafting him, take it to a sub venue and wallow some more.
The thread isn't intended to be just about Lamar Jackson. I'm more interested in a complete ranking of all starting NFL quarterbacks throughout the season. However, you did just type quite a few words dedicated to... Lamar Jackson.

I think Lamar Jackson is a great football player, tough, athletic and smart. HOWEVER to date his skill set needs a specialized offense and the results never match the actual goals of a football team. Win PLAYOFF games and a championship. Now a third of the way into his 5th year Jackson has the SAME number of 300yd passing games as our 2nd string QB :)rolleyes: ) THREE. And in 4 chances he has ONE playoff win.
2nd string QB? Who are you talking about?

If Jackson stays healthy then this would be only his third full season as a starter. Yet you're knocking him for the lack of Super Bowl titles? Not a fair criticism. There's only one Tom Brady and not just anyone wins a Super Bowl in their first try like Mahomes... they are extraordinarily gifted quarterbacks. Rodgers has 1 Super Bowl title in an otherwise illustrious career. If you genetically engineered the optimum quarterback then you may just want to make an exact copy of Josh Allen who also has 0 Super Bowl titles in now his 5th season. My point? Let's give these younger quarterbacks a little more time before we're throwing dirt on their postseason careers.

The thread isn't intended to be just about Lamar Jackson. I'm more interested in a complete ranking of all starting NFL quarterbacks throughout the season. However, you did just type quite a few words dedicated to... Lamar Jackson.

2nd string QB? Who are you talking about?

If Jackson stays healthy then this would be only his third full season as a starter. Yet you're knocking him for the lack of Super Bowl titles? Not a fair criticism. There's only one Tom Brady and not just anyone wins a Super Bowl in their first try like Mahomes... they are extraordinarily gifted quarterbacks. Rodgers has 1 Super Bowl title in an otherwise illustrious career. If you genetically engineered the optimum quarterback then you may just want to make an exact copy of Josh Allen who also has 0 Super Bowl titles in now his 5th season. My point? Let's give these younger quarterbacks a little more time before we're throwing dirt on their postseason careers.
Since you fail to perceive the obvious, let me make it clear. The "2nd string QB" reference was to Mac Jones, the guy so many have already relegated to 2nd string. It was a facetious, tongue in cheek remark.

Jackson has been the Ravens full time starter since midway in his rookie year and he has started every game he was healthy since that time. check your stats. I find it interesting you mention Josh Allen. Unlike Jackson, Allen has a 3-3 playoff record losing his last 2 through no fault of his own to very good KC teams. Rodgers is another fantasy goat, but whose playoff failures are now as legendary as his skills are. He had TWO home games to get to the superbowl in each of the last 2 years and failed miserably in both, But I have NO idea why he's choked so badly SO many times since he won his Superbowl and why you even bothered to use him as a comparative to Jackson.

BTW- my problem with Jackson is less about his abilities than his skill set. To date, and I guess those are the key words, he has yet to show he can run a "standard" NFL passing offense. He runs a "specialized" offense that is geared to accentuate HIS skill set. Normally that's a good thing. However successful it has been in the regular season (and no doubt it has been), against better teams in the playoffs, it has bogged down and they have only 1 win over the last 4 years to show for it, because by the end of the season, better D's have shown they find the template to shut down the Ravens O enough to beat them in the playoffs and they have no plan B to go to.

Of course there is a possibility that over the next several years he will be able to broaden those skill and evolve into a guy who can go to plan B when he has to. Maybe his problem is with HIS coaches, I don't know. The thing I worry about Jackson is his health going forward. He isn't a 250lb Josh Allen. He's about 210 and when more and more teams start to take their shots on him in that offense, I worry about how long his career will be. Just look at 3 BIGger running QB's like Vince Young McNair and Cam Newton all had their shelf lives significantly shortened in offenses far less dependent on their rushing stats than Jackson.

And Yes I probably should just passed on posting on this thread

Jackson has been the Ravens full time starter since midway in his rookie year and he has started every game he was healthy since that time. check your stats. I find it interesting you mention Josh Allen. Unlike Jackson, Allen has a 3-3 playoff record losing his last 2 through no fault of his own to very good KC teams. Rodgers is another fantasy goat, but whose playoff failures are now as legendary as his skills are. He had TWO home games to get to the superbowl in each of the last 2 years and failed miserably in both, But I have NO idea why he's choked so badly SO many times since he won his Superbowl and why you even bothered to use him as a comparative to Jackson.
Josh Allen isn't a fair comparison for anyone... he's got the ideal all round skill set. However, he hasn't won a Super Bowl either despite his postseason heroics. If Rodgers career ends with 1 Super Bowl ring then Dan Marino will be the only quarterback to have underachieved more. Even as great as Mahomes is, and I think most agree he'll win multiple Super Bowls, he does have two AFCCG losses at home... if you combined his first half against the Patriots in 2018 with his second half/OT against Cincinnati last season then you would have the worst AFCCG appearance of all-time. Statistically he had a poor game in the second of his two Super Bowl appearances. I'm just pointing out some other unquestionably elite quarterbacks who haven't won much (as far as Super Bowl titles). Jackson is only 25, I think he deserves a little more time at least to prove himself in the postseason.

Since you fail to perceive the obvious, let me make it clear. The "2nd string QB" reference was to Mac Jones, the guy so many have already relegated to 2nd string. It was a facetious, tongue in cheek remark.

Allen has improved every year since his first as a passer, Jackson hasn't. His stats improved in year two but like you said, this was largely the result of scheme. Since his MVP year, his stats have gone down each season and now they're up again in... shock, a contract year.

Rogers didn't choke last year in the playoffs, his special team's units did. They made four crucial errors in the game and turned the ball over the the other team. The notion that QB's are the alpha and omega responsible for everything that goes on is ridiculously misguided. They may be the most important position, but they're hardly the only defining position when it comes to winning and losing. It's a team game.

Lamar Jackson has been on one of the best teams in the AFC annually since entering the league, the team around him can't be the problem when his playoff stats have been atrocious... absolutely horrible. I agree with everything else you said, LJ is largely a byproduct of the scheme they run and team around him taking advantage of his skills, failure in the playoffs is entire the result of skills he lacks as a pure pocket passer. Until that changes, or they face the perfect storm of opponents in the playoffs, he is their fatal flaw in the quest for a ring.

Any QB ranking list that includes Russell Wilson in the top 10, is obsolete.

Wilson has been terrible this season

so you are agreeing that "Lamar is TOP THREE!!!" in the NFL this season? OK...if that's the hill you want to die on let's see how the rest of the season unfolds. Personally, a "TOP THREE QB!!~!!!!" doesn't go for a huge goose egg in the 2nd half of a HOME game...but that's just my bias I guess...

@patfanken Lamar has improved as a passer.

He used to he weak against the blitz in years past, but this year he has nullified that so far: Lamar Jackson Has Made Teams Pay for the Blitz for Ravens

I wouldn't sleep on him yet. He still also has great pocket presence and zip on the ball. I can't count him out yet, he actually does improve elements of his game each year.

@Wozzy please. PLEASE.

Saying "The notion that QB's are the alpha and omega responsible for everything that goes on is ridiculously misguided" is such a BS way to avoid criticizing Rodgers.

A big reason why we say Rodgers choked last year was becuase he didn't have to even do that much! Literally just hit Lazard WIDE OPEN on 3rd down on his last drive. Heck, one of those special teams gaffes - wouldn't have even happened if Rodgers checked it down to his wide open running back on 3rd down before hand:

The Packers had 8 three-and-outs in that game. He was at home. You know it too, Rodgers did not have to do much. Despite how "bad" the special teams was, that game was still only 10 - 10, and he still had a chance to be clutch but wasn't. He choked.

We don't give him heat for 2012, 2016, etc. Where his defense was genuinely garbage. But last year was inexcusable.

Rogers didn't choke last year in the playoffs, his special team's units did. They made four crucial errors in the game and turned the ball over the the other team. The notion that QB's are the alpha and omega responsible for everything that goes on is ridiculously misguided. They may be the most important position, but they're hardly the only defining position when it comes to winning and losing. It's a team game.
No, Rodgers choked big time. The 9ers were dead to rights, but he couldn't move the ball to score more than 10 points. Arguably his worst playoff choke.

Last edited:
We don't give him heat for 2012, 2016, etc. Where his defense was genuinely garbage. But last year was inexcusable.
No he choked in 2016 as well as almost all their playoff loses. 2011 was a big choke. Choked in 2013 at home. 2014 was arguably his worst as Russell Wilson tried to lose the game, but Rodgers couldn't put them away. 2019 he folded like a lawn chair. No fight whatsoever from him until the game was completely out of reach. 2020 he was complaining they never have a home game in the NFCCG. Well, he got it...and lost. 2021 was pathetic.

Last edited:
No he choked in 2016 as well as almost all their playoff loses. 2011 was a big choke. Choked in 2013 at home. 2014 was arguably his worst as Russell Wilson tried to lose the game, but Rodgers couldn't put them away. 2019 he folded like a lawn chair. No fight whatsoever from him until the game was completely out of reach. 2020 he was complaining they never have a home game in the NFCCG. Well, he got it...and lost. 2021 was pathetic.
I excuse 2016 only because the defense was horrible. But I can still nitpick and say that if his offense was just marginally better in the 1st half... the game would have been only 24 - 3 at half time, instead of 31-0 where it's over.

2011 I think someone on the coaching staff died.

So I'm being nice.

But everything else? Oh definitely. 2029 he underachieved in the 2nd half. 2014 was a complete embarrassment.

Rodgers in his playoff losses always leaves plays on the field or doesn't capitalize on his opportunities, especially early. The 2019 49ers loss is a game where if his offense just moved downfield and scored 1x time... that game is a lot closer.

Wilson was top 10 entering the season... he's currently in freefall down the rankings.

LJ is largely a byproduct of the scheme they run and team around him taking advantage of his skills
That Ravens team sucks without Jackson. Seriously, imagine that squad without him... probably 5 wins max.

No, Rodgers choked big time.
You are correct, sir. Rodgers is the second biggest underachiever in NFL history... thanks to himself.

That Ravens team sucks without Jackson. Seriously, imagine that squad without him... probably 5 wins max.
Who is the alternative QB… or are we just pretending they’re playing without one now. Harbaugh won a ring with Flacco, pretty sure he doesn’t need Lamar to be successful. They’re a top team everywhere now that they’re getting healthy at CB.

Lamar has had some of the most talented teams in the AFC around him. He fails because he suck’s in the playoffs. That’s not an opinion, it’s a statistical fact.

postseason games: one win, 56% completions, 3 TD's/5 INT's, 68 QBR, 19 sacks, 113 passing yards per game, 6.6 yards per attempt and 5 fumbles.

I thought we weren’t going to go back and forth? We we’re going to revisit this in the playoffs when he falls flat on his face again.

Last edited:
The Ravens have spent the least at the WR position. Jackson's best weapon during his time there has been a kicker. Hollywood Brown needed 160 targets to hit 1K last year and is known for key drops. Not to mention his left tackle has been hurt for about a year and a half and they've had no running game besides him. Yea Jackson is just surrounded by talent.

Some of the takes on him have been embarrassing. A simple "I was wrong" would have been sufficient. The tone and lack of insight on a former Heisman & MVP that ran a variation of the EP along with another system 180 of that scream casual with all due respect. That's only magnified when people bring up "scheme" considering so much is on his plate. Although we've already had one member embarrass himself trying to articulate how it helps Lamar. As if he needs a certain system to succeed.

It went from, "he's a RB playing QB" to "he's a bust" to "he's not a good QB" to "he's not a good passer" to "he can't make the playoffs" to "he can't win in the playoffs" and soon after it'll be something else. Again "I was wrong" is so much easier. It's not that serious.

What's weird is I don't hear any other smart football mind being this harsh on Jackson but the brilliant folks here think he sucks? It would be nice to have an honest conversation without agendas over a game.

There are at least a couple of position groups there I would swap with ours straight-up...

You are correct, sir. Rodgers is the second biggest underachiever in NFL history... thanks to himself.

Behind Payaton Manning, I ass-ume?

Behind Payaton Manning, I ass-ume?
Dan Marino... love'em... but he retired without a ring, in part because he generally didn't play well in the postseason. Peyton Manning is a massive choke artist, unlike his brother, but he has 2 rings (mostly thanks to everyone else on his teams). Rodgers is even better than Peyton in the regular season but he's been to one Super Bowl whereas Peyton appeared in four (sucked in all of them).

There are at least a couple of position groups there I would swap with ours straight-up...
As would I, one being quarterback.

Who is the alternative QB… or are we just pretending they’re playing without one now. Harbaugh won a ring with Flacco, pretty sure he doesn’t need Lamar to be successful. They’re a top team everywhere now that they’re getting healthy at CB.

Lamar has had some of the most talented teams in the AFC around him. He fails because he suck’s in the playoffs. That’s not an opinion, it’s a statistical fact.
Tyler Huntley is next in line for Baltimore. Did you follow Baltimore last season?... 0-5 after Jackson got injured. And yeah, Flacco went berserk in his Super Bowl winning postseason... quite possibly the greatest postseason performance ever by a quarterback.

But yes elite quarterbacks make a huge difference... Baltimore, 11-6 with Jackson, 6-11 without him... Kansas City, 13-4 with Mahomes, 6-11 without him... Green Bay, 12-5 with Rodgers, 5-12 without him... Tampa Bay, 13-4 with Brady, 5-12 without him... New England, 9-8 with Jones, 9-8 without him.

Tyler Huntley is next in line for Baltimore. Did you follow Baltimore last season?... 0-5 after Jackson got injured. And yeah, Flacco went berserk in his Super Bowl winning postseason... quite possibly the greatest postseason performance ever by a quarterback.
If the Ravens hadn't drafted Jackson, they would have another QB beyond Huntley, that's why these theoretical's are silly. Really, go down the line of 32 teams and tell us which team is better off with their back up QB playing over their starter. Very few teams.

Flacco went berserk? We're talking about Joe Flacco right, he played pretty well this year for the Jets, but his team sucks so that pretty much sums that up. The year the Ravens won the Super Bowl is not close to Joe Flacco's best single season stats, not by a mile. So Joe Flacco discovered latent superpowers he didn't know he had the year they won the ring... it just happened to coincide with the best O-Line, run game and defense he happened to be surrounded with over the course of his entire career... but every other year he turned into Clark Kent, even in years his individual stats were better. Sounds legit.
But yes elite quarterbacks make a huge difference... Baltimore, 11-6 with Jackson, 6-11 without him... Kansas City, 13-4 with Mahomes, 6-11 without him... Green Bay, 12-5 with Rodgers, 5-12 without him... Tampa Bay, 13-4 with Brady, 5-12 without him... New England, 9-8 with Jones, 9-8 without him.
Yes... great players at every position group make a difference. Last year Matt Stafford and Joe Burrow were so good they played in the Super Bowl over Brady, Rogers, Mahomes and Jackson... this year their O-Lines are so cripplingly bad their teams outright suck. Football is a team sport.

The bigger question is what is your obsession with Lamar Jackson... why does this thread need to be constantly revived. Like I said... show me in the playoffs.

I do find it hilarious though that you think Lamar in year four as a starter and having had some of the best teams in the league surrounding him needs more time to prove himself in the playoffs... despite his individual playoff performances being absolutely horrid. But Bailey Zappe, who has started one game and played a little of another, is already relegated to a career backup in your mind. This is negative Nancy 101... "everything Patriots bad, everybody else good."

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back