PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL QB Rankings (looking toward 2023)

All of his peers were kept in there to keep playing and developing when they all were crappy in their first two or three seasons. Imagine any of them getting yanked with one or two games left in the regular season, after THEY led the team to contention! This is what the Bledsoe army wanted in '01, and had Belichick done it there would be no titles, just wreckage and we'll never know might have beens - like the '88 Pats & the '99 Bills.
I never really looked at Fluties stats because I never felt like he got a decent chance.

Talking about the Bledsoe army, I have a friend who still insists that Drew would have done what Tom did in 2001. That kind of devotion is difficult to reason with.

Burrow and Herbert are as good a passer as Mahomes or anyone, Andy Reid is Mahomes distinct advantage. He gets plays like a shovel pass to Kelce on the goal line, he gets superior scheme and also blocking. His offensive line is one of the best in the NFL, they have a ton of money invested there. Smart.
If you're talking about pure throwing ability then I would agree Mahomes, Burrow, and Herbert are basically the same. I also agree Andy Reid is just tooling with defenses now... he's a step ahead of everyone right now. Advantage for Mahomes.

I think what separates Mahomes from Burrow and Herbert is his ability to improvise and have successful "off-schedule" plays. Reid is a wizard with X's & O's but Mahomes can be a magician when a play breaks down.

No, you certainly don’t want to compare stats. It wouldn’t bolster your argument, but would destroy it. I don’t know what Mac Jones will develop into, Zappe might be outright better, but Daniel Jones is not good. I would take the unknown of Mac/Zappe over the known of DJ all day. He’s not a good passer, passing is the job. Running is nice but irrelevant in the playoffs if you can’t pass. Time and history have proven that beyond all doubt.
Oh well, you forced me into it.

Mac Jones

Passing:

31 games
66.5 comp%
219 Y/G
7.1 Y/A
36 TDs (3.7 TD%)
24 INTs (2.5 INT%)
89.0 passer rating

Rushing:
7.5 Y/G
2.5 Y/A
34 1st downs
1 TD

Daniel Jones

Passing:

54 games
64.0 comp%
215 Y/G
6.7 Y/A
60 TDs (3.4 TD%)
34 INTs (2.0 INT%)
86.5 passer rating

Rushing:
31.6 Y/G
5.8 Y/A
111 1st downs
12 TD

Playoffs

Mac Jones
(1 game): 24-38 (63.2%), 232 yards, 2 TDs, 2 INT, 75.8 passer rating, 23 rushes for 102 yards

Daniel Jones (2 games): 39-62 (62.9%), 436 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT, 87.8 passer rating, 2 rushes for 18 yards

The only real advantage is Daniel Jones in the rushing categories.

If you're talking about pure throwing ability then I would agree Mahomes, Burrow, and Herbert are basically the same. I also agree Andy Reid is just tooling with defenses now... he's a step ahead of everyone right now. Advantage for Mahomes.

I think what separates Mahomes from Burrow and Herbert is his ability to improvise and have successful "off-schedule" plays. Reid is a wizard with X's & O's but Mahomes can be a magician when a play breaks down.
Mahomes has one of the best, most talented and expensive offensive lines in the NFL. Burrows offensive line gets him sacked at a league leading pace and Herbert's hasn't much better. Herbert's defense was also ranked 20th in the league in points allowed, it's a team game. Not only is Reid the best offensive coach in the league but Mahomes teams are outright better... especially his protection.

Sacks allowed on the season in 2022: Chiefs ranked 3rd in fewest sacks allowed, Chargers 17th, Bengals 22nd... last year the Bengals were 30th in sacks allowed... so they're getting better... I guess.
Oh well, you forced me into it.

Mac Jones

Passing:

31 games
66.5 comp%
219 Y/G
7.1 Y/A
36 TDs (3.7 TD%)
24 INTs (2.5 INT%)
89.0 passer rating

Rushing:
7.5 Y/G
2.5 Y/A
34 1st downs
1 TD

Daniel Jones

Passing:

54 games
64.0 comp%
215 Y/G
6.7 Y/A
60 TDs (3.4 TD%)
34 INTs (2.0 INT%)
86.5 passer rating

Rushing:
31.6 Y/G
5.8 Y/A
111 1st downs
12 TD

Playoffs

Mac Jones
(1 game): 24-38 (63.2%), 232 yards, 2 TDs, 2 INT, 75.8 passer rating, 23 rushes for 102 yards

Daniel Jones (2 games): 39-62 (62.9%), 436 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT, 87.8 passer rating, 2 rushes for 18 yards

The only real advantage is Daniel Jones in the rushing categories.

Laughable.... Mac Jones was in year two and has the worst offensive coach and scheme in the league. Daniels Jones had the best offensive coach and scheme of his entire pro career. Here's Mac's rookie stats compared to Daniel Jones best stats of his entire pro life:

XYaAsYz.png

Yeah, not much difference... I mean, outside of the fact I'm comparing a rookie to a 4th year veteran. If O'Brien is competent at his job Mac will put up better stats than Jones has at any point in his career. Don't make me break out Zappe's stats as a starter.

Daniel Jones isn't good. He was considered a bust who wasn't going to garner a second contract until Brian Daboll came along... but you don't think coaching is relevant... so there's that.

Mahomes has one of the best, most talented and expensive offensive lines in the NFL. Burrows offensive line gets him sacked at a league leading pace and Herbert's hasn't much better. Herbert's defense was also ranked 20th in the league in points allowed, it's a team game. Not only is Reid the best offensive coach in the league but Mahomes teams are outright better... especially his protection.
So it's about everything else other than the QBs? You're just not paying attention.

QBs dominate NFL and Super Bowl MVP awards for a reason.
Some QBs have multiple rings, Super Bowl MVPs, and NFL MVPs for a reason.
Brady has 7 rings and from his 1st to his 7th his 52 other teammates completely changed.

Since 2001, the two best QBs in the NFL without question have been Brady and Mahomes. In that time frame there have been 22 conference championship games and 22 Super Bowls. Brady appeared in 14 conference championship games (won 10) and 10 Super Bowls (won 7). Mahomes has appeared in 5 conference championship games (won 3) and 3 Super Bowls (won 2).

2001-2022 (22 seasons)

Brady

14 CCGs (64%)
10 CCG wins (46%)
10 SBs (46%)
7 SB wins (32%)

Brady & Mahomes (not counting twice when both appeared together in the same game)

18 CCGs (82%)
13 CCG wins (59%)
12 SBs (55%)
9 SB wins (41%)

Brady and/or Mahomes have played in 82% of conference championship games since 2001. And that's with Brady missing an entire season (2008) and Mahomes only being a starter since 2018.

So this phenomenal appearance percentage of 82% doesn't tell you anything about the QBs Brady and Mahomes? Just coincidentally they both had the "best o-lines, best WRs, best defenses, best head coaches"? Despite Brady's teammates entirely rolling over from the 1st through 7th SB championships? Despite Belichick and Reid having won 0 Super Bowls without Brady and Mahomes in a combined 29 seasons while having appeared in 12 Super Bowls and winning 8 in a combined 23 seasons? Despite Brady winning a Super Bowl with a second head coach?

Let's not forget either Brady's 6 game-winning drives in all 6 SB wins (100%) with the Patriots. Or his 13 postseason game-winning drives in his 30 postseason wins (43%) with the Patriots.

I guess you think Brady and Mahomes just magically end up on these all-around great football teams with great coaching. You have a fairy tale story for every season they win.

Brady becomes the starter for a 5-13 team with him on the sideline and magically BB becomes the GOAT and the team is a sudden powerhouse. Every single teammate changes for Brady in New England and magically the entirely new teammates are just as incredible as the previous ones and they continue to win Super Bowls. Brady goes to the team with the worst ever winning percentage in all of professional sports and magical fairy dust is sprinkled on Tampa Bay and they become a Super Bowl winner immediately. Right out of a fairly tale from the Brothers Grimm.

So it's about everything else other than the QBs? You're just not paying attention.
No, it’s about the sum of parts…. team. Or what I preach constantly and what I’ve consistently relayed to you. I have never wavered.
QBs dominate NFL and Super Bowl MVP awards for a reason.
Fanboys. Cheerleaders love the QB.
Some QBs have multiple rings, Super Bowl MVPs, and NFL MVPs for a reason.
Brady has 7 rings and from his 1st to his 7th his 52 other teammates completely changed.
What rarely if ever changed was the high quality of teams around him for twenty three years. The result of the Patriots philosophy regarding pay scale and the cap, their ability to draft and find value free agents undervalued by other teams.

Tom’s defenses consistently ranked at the top of the league in points allowed and forced turnovers, his ST’s units were also tops in the league… that had nothing to do with him outside of his offense playing smart complementary football. We saw one season without Arians he decided running the ball was unnecessary and they won 8 games. No man is an island.
Since 2001, the two best QBs in the NFL without question have been Brady and Mahomes. In that time frame there have been 22 conference championship games and 22 Super Bowls. Brady appeared in 14 conference championship games (won 10) and 10 Super Bowls (won 7). Mahomes has appeared in 5 conference championship games (won 3) and 3 Super Bowls (won 2).
This doesn’t waver if I change “Brady” to “the Patriots” or if I change “Mahomes” to “the Chiefs.” You attribute team success to one individual player… like I said, cheerleaders love the QB. Neither of these guys blocked, played defense or special teams.
So this phenomenal appearance percentage of 82% doesn't tell you anything about the QBs Brady and Mahomes? Just coincidentally they both had the "best o-lines, best WRs, best defenses, best head coaches"? Despite Brady's teammates entirely rolling over from the 1st through 7th SB championships?
This last sentence is an utter load of sht.

Tom threw one TD and one INT in the entire 2001 postseason. He was carried by a powerful rushing attack, defense and special teams.

There were multiple examples afterwards like the first round in 2016 where he had his Dion Lewis and his defense to thank for getting past the first round. It’s nonsense like this that makes your argument sound like mindless fan gushing not backed by reality at all.
Despite Belichick and Reid having won 0 Super Bowls without Brady and Mahomes in a combined 29 seasons while having appeared in 12 Super Bowls and winning 8 in a combined 23 seasons? Despite Brady winning a Super Bowl with a second head coach?

Let's not forget either Brady's 6 game-winning drives in all 6 SB wins (100%) with the Patriots. Or his 13 postseason game-winning drives in his 30 postseason wins (43%) with the Patriots.

I guess you think Brady and Mahomes just magically end up on these all-around great football teams with great coaching. You have a fairy tale story for every season they win.
If they end up on cellar dweller teams, or even average teams… they win zero rings.
Brady becomes the starter for a 5-13 team with him on the sideline and magically BB becomes the GOAT and the team is a sudden powerhouse. Every single teammate changes for Brady in New England and magically the entirely new teammates are just as incredible as the previous ones and they continue to win Super Bowls. Brady goes to the team with the worst ever winning percentage in all of professional sports and magical fairy dust is sprinkled on Tampa Bay and they become a Super Bowl winner immediately. Right out of a fairly tale from the Brothers Grimm.
BB drafted Brady, he developed Brady with Weis. He carried 4 QB’s on his roster before scuttling the latter two and by the time Mo Lewis injured Bledsoe, Brady a 6th round pick was second on the depth chart. According to Michael Holley’s book Patriot Reign written at that time, BB preferred Brady but Drew just gotten a 100 million dollar contract from Kraft and had the expectation to start. He wouldn’t have accepted losing much longer.

After Drew was healthy by week ten Brady hadn’t lit the league on fire, in fact he lost his first start post Drew injury and was almost 500 when Drew was cleared to play. BB started Tom anyway and got shellacked in the media for doing so.

Again, you were a child when this happened, so you have a romantic reimagining of how it all went down… but these were the facts.

No, it’s about the sum of parts…. team.
Not all parts are created equal.

Fanboys. Cheerleaders love the QB.
Fanboys and cheerleaders don't vote for NFL MVP. Fans have a third of the SB MVP voting. Usually that comes out right though. Can you give me an example of a QB winning either MVP award when they didn't deserve it?

What rarely if ever changed was the high quality of teams around him for twenty three years. The result of the Patriots philosophy regarding pay scale and the cap, their ability to draft and find value free agents undervalued by other teams.

Tom’s defenses consistently ranked at the top of the league in points allowed and forced turnovers, his ST’s units were also tops in the league… that had nothing to do with him outside of his offense playing smart complementary football.
No, actually the teams changed substantially. Dynasty 1.0 2001 to 2004/2005. The team changed quite a bit before 2006. Then again, dramatically, before 2007. That version of the team didn't last very long either. By 2014 when they won their 4th SB the team was completely different again. How many significant changes from (and through) 2014 - 2019? A lot.

ST? Are we really going there? ST won which SB? The punter was really good in SB 53, so there's that. And Vinatieri made one unbelievable FG in the snow bowl (a divisional playoff game). The game-winner he could have sneezed through the goalpost. He kicked a few other postseason game-winners but none of them required a herculean effort. Now I've spent too much time talking about ST.

We saw one season without Arians he decided running the ball was unnecessary and they won 8 games. No man is an island.
toilet bowles would have run every down if he could have. He couldn't, the running game was an abject failure in Tampa Bay from start to finish. Historically bad. An you think they should have featured it more... lol! Virtually every game they won this season, Brady pulled it off with nonstop passing from the no huddle. You didn't watch the games.

This doesn’t waver if I change “Brady” to “the Patriots” or if I change “Mahomes” to “the Chiefs.”
Of course it does. The essence of what I'm saying revolves around the QBs so you can't change that.

om threw one TD and one INT in the entire 2001 postseason.
He played in a blizzard (and played great by the way especially given the conditions). Then he got hurt in the AFCCG. Right, 1 TD pass in SB 36, and a game-winning drive in a 3-point victory. This also was his first postseason. And he won the Super Bowl. Who has ever done that before? (Besides Brady and Warner.)

If they end up on cellar dweller teams, or even average teams… they win zero rings.
Brady and Mahomes have combined for 26 seasons, 24 division titles and 13 Super Bowl appearances. One season with a losing record (8-9) on a bad team that was poorly coached. There's not a lot of evidence for your "cellar dweller teams" theory.

BB drafted Brady, he developed Brady with Weis. He carried 4 QB’s on his roster before scuttling the latter two and by the time Mo Lewis injured Bledsoe, Brady a 6th round pick was second on the depth chart. According to Michael Holley’s book Patriot Reign written at that time, BB preferred Brady but Drew just gotten a 100 million dollar contract from Kraft and had the expectation to start. He wouldn’t have accepted losing much longer.
You protecting BB's legacy. Here's what really happened... Brady was exceptional LUCK.

After Drew was healthy by week ten Brady hadn’t lit the league on fire, in fact he lost his first start post Drew injury and was almost 500 when Drew was cleared to play. BB started Tom anyway and got shellacked in the media for doing so.
I don't recall any such shellacking. My recollection (and my opinion at the time) is Brady was the guy after the OT win over San Diego.

Again, you were a child when this happened, so you have a romantic reimagining of how it all went down… but these were the facts.
There are no facts in this statement.

I don't recall any such shellacking. My recollection (and my opinion at the time) is Brady was the guy after the OT win over San Diego.
Belichick's obviously not perfect, but you have to give him credit for his correct decisions.

The tsunami of completely wrong and stupid insanity within media and KraftFans demanding Bledsoe 'not lose his job to injury' increased animosity toward Belichick which was already there since Cleveland. The T-E-A-M speech belongs in Canton. We merely need to reference the Patriots team 13 years earlier when a strikingly similar season of excellence with a young, developing quarterback in his first extended NFL starting opportunity was abruptly destroyed by the opposite thinking, motivated by idiocy like salary, size, draft position, embarrassing overrating of past individual statistics, conventional 'wisdom'[=stupidity] and blindness to what was happening on the field.
You protecting BB's legacy. Here's what really happened... Brady was exceptional LUCK.
Wrong to dismiss all the facts you just contradicted. Where does 'luck' fit into the equation: Patten knocked unconscious with his leg out of bounds (and they correctly call it). Tuck rule applicable and implemented. Our bye week conveniently fitting in with 9/11.

More 'luck': No other team showing any scouting interest whatsoever in Brady. Tom getting away from Layla Roberts & Tara Reid in time. The Red Sox letting Uggie go in favor of a 'bullpen by committee' eventually resulting in the infield still being in place in Pro Player Stadium. Carroll running his standard goal line package instead of handing it off to Beast Mode.

Cliche: You make your own luck. You do the work, put in the time, dedicate yourself, and when things do go your way, you've put yourself in position to take advantage of it. Success is no accident.

Belichick has made some mind-numbingly terrible and wrong decisions. Kraft too. Even Tom. Everybody makes mistakes.

Me, you, everybody, can be negatively affected by dichotomous thinking. Be open minded, see nuances, and think in terms of learning. To me, last season was above all a waste. Much talent and effort was wasted by fundamentally wrong strategy and personnel decisions - specifically at quarterback.

Tom threw one TD and one INT in the entire 2001 postseason. He was carried by a powerful rushing attack, defense and special teams.
Watch out for deceptive statistics, like "The Patriots won no championships in their first 40 seasons" and "The Patriots won no home playoff games until 1996". Those examples conveniently ignore the team's success and the fact that most other teams were MUCH worse than they were their first thirty seasons.

Brady personally made the Patriots competitive in 2001, and put them in position to succeed and win. Just as Flutie did in 1988. Both teams had very good young players and veterans with playoff and Super Bowl experience. And neither smelled the playoffs with a different quarterback.

Brady was not carried.

Eason and Bledsoe have lots more in common than just their jersey number. They were carried. Yeah they could throw a football.

Wrong to dismiss all the facts you just contradicted. Where does 'luck' fit into the equation: Patten knocked unconscious with his leg out of bounds (and they correctly call it). Tuck rule applicable and implemented. Our bye week conveniently fitting in with 9/11.

More 'luck': No other team showing any scouting interest whatsoever in Brady. Tom getting away from Layla Roberts & Tara Reid in time. The Red Sox letting Uggie go in favor of a 'bullpen by committee' eventually resulting in the infield still being in place in Pro Player Stadium. Carroll running his standard goal line package instead of handing it off to Beast Mode.

Cliche: You make your own luck. You do the work, put in the time, dedicate yourself, and when things do go your way, you've put yourself in position to take advantage of it. Success is no accident.

Belichick has made some mind-numbingly terrible and wrong decisions. Kraft too. Even Tom. Everybody makes mistakes.

Me, you, everybody, can be negatively affected by dichotomous thinking. Be open minded, see nuances, and think in terms of learning. To me, last season was above all a waste. Much talent and effort was wasted by fundamentally wrong strategy and personnel decisions - specifically at quarterback.
Generally speaking, when the 199th pick turns out to be the greatest player in the history of the league, it's luck. I believe it's so rare that it's only happened once.

Generally speaking, when the 199th pick turns out to be the greatest player in the history of the league, it's luck. I believe it's so rare that it's only happened once.
There can only be one "greatest player in the history of the league," so this is just trite nonsense.

Every year over a thousand college players throw their names into the NFL hat, roughly 250 get jobs. Teams don't use draft picks lightly.

There's no such thing as luck in a draft pick, it's literally in the name... pick.

Watch out for deceptive statistics, like "The Patriots won no championships in their first 40 seasons" and "The Patriots won no home playoff games until 1996". Those examples conveniently ignore the team's success and the fact that most other teams were MUCH worse than they were their first thirty seasons.

Brady personally made the Patriots competitive in 2001, and put them in position to succeed and win. Just as Flutie did in 1988. Both teams had very good young players and veterans with playoff and Super Bowl experience. And neither smelled the playoffs with a different quarterback.

Brady was not carried.

Eason and Bledsoe have lots more in common than just their jersey number. They were carried. Yeah they could throw a football.
There's nothing deceptive about the stat I posted. In three postseason games in 2001 Tom threw one TD, he also threw one INT.

But he played smart, that's why BB preferred him over Bledsoe in the first place. He made the short outlet passes and kept the chains moving instead of longer lower percentage passes that had a higher risk for failure. He was efficient.

The notion that Brady arrived like a lightning bolt and set the NFL on fire is nonsense. He carried the moniker of "game manager" for the first 5-7 years of his career for a reason. It's also a garbage notion that BB was gifted Tom and there wasn't a decision to make when Bledsoe was cleared from injury in week 10. Brady was 5-3 at the time, he'd thrown 12 TD's and 7 INT's and the media were clamoring for Drew to get his starting job back. He had a tough decision to make and made the correct one. The Brady zealots are trying to rewrite history.

Not all parts are created equal.
This is just cryptic nonsense, who are you... Yoda? The only person trying to separate QB's from the rest of their team in this conversation is you.

The greatest QB on a bad team, is still a bad team. An average QB on a great team is still a good, if not great team... otherwise Trent Dilfer wouldn't have a ring. You seem to forget that in 2017 before he went down with injury, Carson Wentz was the odds on favorite in Vegas to win NFL MVP award. Then Foles stepped in and they didn't skip a beat... two average/good QB's at best were steamrolling the NFL.

Matt Stafford played for 12 years without winning a playoff game. One season in LA and he wins 4 including a Super Bowl. Staffords needed the Rams a lot more than they needed him.
Fanboys and cheerleaders don't vote for NFL MVP. Fans have a third of the SB MVP voting. Usually that comes out right though. Can you give me an example of a QB winning either MVP award when they didn't deserve it?
Why? Plenty of people deserve it, mostly it's QB's who ever win it. Super Bowl MVP is much more impressive, even then QB's rob teammates for that award all the time.
No, actually the teams changed substantially. Dynasty 1.0 2001 to 2004/2005. The team changed quite a bit before 2006. Then again, dramatically, before 2007. That version of the team didn't last very long either. By 2014 when they won their 4th SB the team was completely different again. How many significant changes from (and through) 2014 - 2019? A lot.
What didn't change was the level of competence around Tom on those championship teams, I never said the names didn't change.
ST? Are we really going there? ST won which SB? The punter was really good in SB 53, so there's that. And Vinatieri made one unbelievable FG in the snow bowl (a divisional playoff game). The game-winner he could have sneezed through the goalpost. He kicked a few other postseason game-winners but none of them required a herculean effort. Now I've spent too much time talking about ST.
Did you say Vinatieri made one unbelievable field goal?!

Good grief, Adam hit a 45 yard field goal at the end of the 4th quarter just to get them into overtime, then hit another to win the game. He was a perfect 3/3 in those horrid conditions. Then weeks later he hit a 48 yarder to win the Super Bowl... what was that, a chip shot?

In the following AFC Championship game, where Tom didn't score at all and was eventually knocked out with injury, Troy Brown returned a punt 55 yards in the first quarter. Then in the 3rd quarter Brandon Mitchell blocked a punt, Troy Brown recovered it and took it to the house. Tom was watching from the sidelines.

Your take that special teams don't matter is utter horsesht, hell if Dion Lewis didn't score three different ways including a kickoff return in 2016 playoffs against the Texans Tom wouldn't have ring #5. He played poorly in that game. He was carried that day by his defense and Dion Lewis, the MVP of that game, even if he didn't win some dumb award.

Tom had the best special teams around him for two decades. Considering Aaron Rogers got knocked out of the playoffs the season before last because his special teams unit turned the ball over three times, along with all the other examples I just cited... this is an extraordinarily ignorant football take.
toilet bowles would have run every down if he could have. He couldn't, the running game was an abject failure in Tampa Bay from start to finish. Historically bad. An you think they should have featured it more... lol! Virtually every game they won this season, Brady pulled it off with nonstop passing from the no huddle. You didn't watch the games.
Todd Bowles would have run every down if he could have... why couldn't he, he was the head coach? Oh yeah, because he just watched his predecessor get fired for insisting the offense run the ball and remain balanced.

And the run game was an abject failure from start to finish? Let's begin with "start."

In the opening game of the season the Buc's rushed for 152 yards against the Cowboys. Lenny Fournette who you argued earlier was too fat to play, he rushed 21 times for 127 yards.

Tom didn't want to run the ball and Leftwich did whatever Tom wanted. They tried that same garbage approach in 2020 and got slaughtered by the Saints in a game where the offense set the NFL single game record for fewest number of rushes. The game immediately following that loss the Buc's set their season high in rushing yards. Arians was obviously the voice of reason on that team and the coach that mattered... which is evident in their 8 wins after he got canned.
Of course it does. The essence of what I'm saying revolves around the QBs so you can't change that.
Win/loss is a team stat, not a QB stat.
He played in a blizzard (and played great by the way especially given the conditions). Then he got hurt in the AFCCG. Right, 1 TD pass in SB 36, and a game-winning drive in a 3-point victory. This also was his first postseason. And he won the Super Bowl. Who has ever done that before? (Besides Brady and Warner.)

Brady and Mahomes have combined for 26 seasons, 24 division titles and 13 Super Bowl appearances. One season with a losing record (8-9) on a bad team that was poorly coached. There's not a lot of evidence for your "cellar dweller teams" theory.
They only played on great teams. Brady couldn't elevate a bad Patriots team to the postseason in 2002... what happened? He was a magical unicorn in 2001 but his powers disappeared in 2002 before returning in 2003. The answer is simple... TEAM.
I don't have to protect anything, and I'm not. I'm less concerned with your take because of "Bill's legacy" and more because I didn't play the QB position and know for a fact your take is fanboy nonsense. Belichicks record when he retires is going to be what it is, the HOF isn't going to put an asterisk by his name because a QB he drafted decided to leave after two decades because his annoying wife was hounding him to move to Miami.

Your "QB's are magic" take is completely insulting to every other position who laid their bodies on the line and to every major contributor those teams had. Seymour, Ty Law, Willie McGinest, Bruschi, Ted Johnson... those guys were as big a part of those early rings as Brady was. Your take is garbage, it has nothing to do with Bill. I don't separate Bill's record "with Brady" and "without"... that's just what BB haters or Brady zealots do. It's fanboy nonsense.
You were obviously a child in 2001 and can't remember much beyond the fact you loved Tom.
There are no facts in this statement.
If I was wrong, you would have simply dispelled my assertion by providing your age, or a ballpark figure... you clearly were too young to remember much and didn't read many newspapers. I was on boston.com talking about the team as far back as the internet goes, you weren't there spouting this nonsense then... nobody was... because it's a nostalgic dream of youth.

Last edited:
After being drafted in the ninth round and given zero snaps by the Steelers, Unitas was working in construction and picked up off the sandlot by the Colts. He may still today be considered the greatest, even better than Tom.

More recently, after going undrafted and being released from the Packers' training camp, Warner was stocking grocery store shelves and living in his inlaws' basement when he signed to play in the Arena league.

There are lots of examples of athletes' stories like this across sports. Maybe we should distinguish between 'luck' and good fortune.

But again, only the Patriots showed any interest, or took any initiative with Tom. Rehbein's scouting report on him was specific. He called Brady 'the next Montana.'

But again, only the Patriots showed any interest, or took any initiative with Tom. Rehbein's scouting report on him was specific. He called Brady 'the next Montana.'
I don't believe this. Not saying you're lying, it's probably printed or even quoted somewhere, but I doubt it actually happened.

Who waits until 199 if they think they're onto "the next Montana"? No one.

There are lots of examples of athletes' stories like this across sports. Maybe we should distinguish between 'luck' and good fortune.
You gave me Warner, who I already mentioned. And Unitas. There are not a lot of stories like those in the NFL. We're up to 3 in 102 years.

He may still today be considered the greatest, even better than Tom.
By who? I think literally no one considers Unitas to be better than Brady.

I don't believe this. Not saying you're lying, it's probably printed or even quoted somewhere, but I doubt it actually happened.

Who waits until 199 if they think they're onto "the next Montana"? No one.

You gave me Warner, who I already mentioned. And Unitas. There are not a lot of stories like those in the NFL. We're up to 3 in 102 years.

By who? I think literally no one considers Unitas to be better than Brady.
You can look up Rehbein, I'm not bothering to reference all of sports history, and I'm no one.

There's a few QB's I think were as good as Brady.

Not modern ones.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back