PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

La Canfora: Brady unlikely to sign extension, will test free agency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. If only there was someone knowledgeable in those deep details who was analytical and whom we could trust to be agenda free who could analyze this for us...

That signal... it's not a bat... it's an "M"!

Adam Schefter: Patriots will want answer from Tom Brady early, learning lesson from Rob Gronkowski

Appearing on ESPN's "Get Up" Thursday, Adam Schefter said the Patriots will want an answer from Brady before free agency begins March 16 with the legal tampering period.

“Here’s the situation: I don’t believe the New England Patriots are waiting until March 16 to get an answer from Tom Brady,” he said. “Last year, Rob Gronkowski wound up retiring in late March. I don’t know the conversations they did and didn’t have before, but New England missed the window on free-agent tight ends. So I don’t think they’re going to let Tom Brady go to free agency, all of a sudden, sign with Team X, and then on March 20, say ‘Well, what do we do at quarterback now?’ That’s not the way that organization operates.”

Adam Schefter: Patriots will want answer from Tom Brady early, learning lesson from Rob Gronkowski

Appearing on ESPN's "Get Up" Thursday, Adam Schefter said the Patriots will want an answer from Brady before free agency begins March 16 with the legal tampering period.

“Here’s the situation: I don’t believe the New England Patriots are waiting until March 16 to get an answer from Tom Brady,” he said. “Last year, Rob Gronkowski wound up retiring in late March. I don’t know the conversations they did and didn’t have before, but New England missed the window on free-agent tight ends. So I don’t think they’re going to let Tom Brady go to free agency, all of a sudden, sign with Team X, and then on March 20, say ‘Well, what do we do at quarterback now?’ That’s not the way that organization operates.”

I still find it hard to believe (while fully acknowledging that it might be true) that this organization botched the Gronk situation so badly last year. Very uncharacteristic not to think multiple steps ahead.

That being said, I don't know if it's exactly the same context this year. Tight ends in free agency aren't very expensive, whereas if a QB demonstrates the ability to play average football for multiple consecutive games he's a lock to sign for $20M/year at minimum. Even if Brady retires it probably wouldn't be smart to be aggressive in the QB free agent market. That's how you end up with Brock Osweiler.

If the Patriots want an answer now, give him permission to talk to other teams right now
and see what they are willing to offer him.

I still find it hard to believe (while fully acknowledging that it might be true) that this organization botched the Gronk situation so badly last year. Very uncharacteristic not to think multiple steps ahead.

Honestly, compared to Gronk....it was going to be a step down in talent level even if we got the best TE early on in FA. I mean the only TE's I would have been MILDLY interested in would have been: Jared Cook, Nick Boyle, Tyler Eifert, and/or Jesse James.....

Other than Cook, I don't blame the Pats for rolling with LaCosse and Izzo....

And I think Izzo would have been decent had he been on the field more....ditto with LaCosse.

Honestly, compared to Gronk....it was going to be a step down in talent level even if we got the best TE early on in FA. I mean the only TE's I would have been MILDLY interested in would have been: Jared Cook, Nick Boyle, Tyler Eifert, and/or Jesse James.....

And I think Izzo would have been decent had he been on the field more....ditto with LaCosse.
Trading for Howard would of been great

Weis, in between wheezing and sucking spit in from his mouth constantly, said something similar last week on NFL Radio. Paraphrasing, he noted that if the two sides don’t come to terms before March, he believed Brady was going to move on.

I don't think we're gonna see eye to eye about Izzo/LaCosse. I don't even want to see them on the 53 in 2020. Those are not NFL tight ends.

Weis, in between wheezing and sucking spit in from his mouth constantly, said something similar last week on NFL Radio. Paraphrasing, he noted that if the two sides don’t come to terms before March, he believed Brady was going to move on.

And Brady has already said he will test free agency, which I don't think is a bluff to try to leverage his value for an extension. I think he came out of those August negotiations with a promise to himself that the Patriots would, at the very minimum, sweat profusely and need to pay market value since they wouldn't give him the security he wanted. Sounds like either both sides mutually want to part ways, or if not and they do want to stay together, they are both setting up very bad strategies that will inevitably lead to a breakup. You almost always have a player saying that he "wants" to return in this situation, even if that is followed by a bunch of "out of my control, etc." That Brady won't even say he wants to return to New England under the right circumstances is, to me, alarming.

bedard thinks brady shouldnt pick up the phone
Bedard: If Patriots want an answer from Tom Brady, he should go radio silent | Boston Sports Journal

I find it amusing that the media is jumping over hoops to get the story first . Almost like everyone in the media wants him to leave for the bigger story.

I find it amusing that the media is jumping over hoops to get the story first . Almost like everyone in the media wants him to leave for the bigger story.

What did you expect. Everyone outside New England is licking their chops at the mere thought of this dynasty coming to an end.

I don't think we're gonna see eye to eye about Izzo/LaCosse. I don't even want to see them on the 53 in 2020. Those are not NFL tight ends.

We don't see eye to eye for sure.

I felt that Izzo had raw potential to be better than he was this year in limited snaps. And I believe LaCosse would be OK as a move TE....the dude was awkward blocking all year......

I've already made my preference abundantly clear, but at this point I'd like a resolution either way.

Why can't Patriots wait? The media acts like bill wont wait because he's missing out on paying Fitzpatrick or tanehill 20 million a year.

It's abit different than talking about gronk where the top TEs are reasonable in price and talented.

The options after Brady are trash that requires high $$

If Brady leaves hes going with stidham and a cheap backup. Hes not spending 20million on journeyman trash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down