PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kliff Kingsbury wants to pursue NFL job

Yes and if KK had a problem with the" granting of permission" stipulation he never should have signed the deal. hes an idiot for nothing thinking it though or he was being a snake and thought USC would be ok with it and hed sneak off on interviews.

It's not like Kliff is collecting a paycheck and is away from USC. hes still working. If USC believes hes slacking they can fire his ass. They can also push to amend the contract with the conditions of if he wants to interview , fine but they do not have to pay him the rest of the deal if he is fired for just cause. All kinds of ways to satisfy both parties.

Teams grant assistants permission to interview all the time, they interview and come back to their old team. happens all the time. I don't see the big deal.

My point is I hope USC and KK can come to some kind of understanding so the relationship can stay professional and both sides can work together to find a win-win and move forward.

If not USC should just part ways with him and get another OC.
I think it creates a circus. 3 weeks after being hired he wants to interview for other jobs.
The contract has a buyout.
USC should tell him if he doesn’t want to be there buy it out. They should not be stuck in limbo.
I understand that coaches interview and mive all the time, but not after 3 weeks. I just don’t think USC should help him bail out on them.

Honestly neither of you are saying anything here or making a point.
The only point I made was that he wasn’t a good HC at the college level. I didn’t support the point with facts because you seem to already be aware of said facts.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say his HC record is “irrelevant”. However, he is mediocre enough to gain consideration by other college and pro teams. You should just be aware that it’s a long way from the wide open offenses (and lack of defenses) of the Big XII to the NFL.

Yes and if KK had a problem with the" granting of permission" stipulation he never should have signed the deal. hes an idiot for nothing thinking it though or he was being a snake and thought USC would be ok with it and hed sneak off on interviews.

It's not like Kliff is collecting a paycheck and is away from USC. hes still working. If USC believes hes slacking they can fire his ass. They can also push to amend the contract with the conditions of if he wants to interview , fine but they do not have to pay him the rest of the deal if he is fired for just cause. All kinds of ways to satisfy both parties.

Teams grant assistants permission to interview all the time, they interview and come back to their old team. happens all the time. I don't see the big deal.

My point is I hope USC and KK can come to some kind of understanding so the relationship can stay professional and both sides can work together to find a win-win and move forward.

If not USC should just part ways with him and get another OC.
If USC wants to part ways with him, they’d have to pay his entire contract. He has not even remotely done anything that could be considered just cause for termination. You’re right they don’t have to give him permission to interview elsewhere, but him asking for that permission is hardly a fire-able offense.

(I reserve the right to amend that statement if other facts come out but I am just working with what has been reported so far)

Point being bringing someone in from the outside who has an air raid mindset is also a risk for the Patriots because who knows if the fusion of whats available here and what he brings to the table will work out. Can't disagree that it would be interesting to see and has the potential to be pretty special.

Don't forget he backed up Brady in '03. So not only does he know the EP, he also played in it.

Don't forget he backed up Brady in '03. So not only does he know the EP, he also played in it.
519znolytEL._SX355_.jpg

s-l300.jpg

What could have been

Wasn't he on the practice squad all year? So maybe he learned it in meetings, but not to the same extend as the #2 QB would.

He sounds intriguing though, as far as trying new things on offense, as long as he can do it within the EP framework.

No he didn’t. He spent the entire year on IR

Wasn't he on the practice squad all year? So maybe he learned it in meetings, but not to the same extend as the #2 QB would.

He sounds intriguing though, as far as trying new things on offense, as long as he can do it within the EP framework.

He was on IR his rookie season and released during the next training camp.

You have got to love how the super secretive NE Patriots are now just spewing out information on possible successor coordinators.

The source for Florio’s report is Kingsbury or his agent. Making people think the Patriots are interested might make some of the teams looking at him as a HC like the Jets look a little closer.

If USC wants to part ways with him, they’d have to pay his entire contract. He has not even remotely done anything that could be considered just cause for termination. You’re right they don’t have to give him permission to interview elsewhere, but him asking for that permission is hardly a fire-able offense.

(I reserve the right to amend that statement if other facts come out but I am just working with what has been reported so far)

Agree 100%. The point I was raising is if they want to let KK talk to the Cards, Jets (Pats?) and if his work suffered, in return for the accomodation ask KK to agree to waiving the buyout.

The only point I made was that he wasn’t a good HC at the college level. I didn’t support the point with facts because you seem to already be aware of said facts.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say his HC record is “irrelevant”. However, he is mediocre enough to gain consideration by other college and pro teams. You should just be aware that it’s a long way from the wide open offenses (and lack of defenses) of the Big XII to the NFL.

Texas held Georgia to their lowest offensive output of the season, so while I agree the defenses in the Big 12 are not all that good, the offenses are a big part of that.

And Baker Mayfield and Patrick Mahomes have transitioned pretty well so far from that conference to the NFL.

I think it creates a circus. 3 weeks after being hired he wants to interview for other jobs.
The contract has a buyout.
USC should tell him if he doesn’t want to be there buy it out. They should not be stuck in limbo.
I understand that coaches interview and mive all the time, but not after 3 weeks. I just don’t think USC should help him bail out on them.
Wouldn't be unprecedented. Dave DeGuglielmo signed a contract to be the Patriots OL coach less than 1 week after signing a contract to be Maryland's OL coach.
DeGuglielmo leaves for Patriots

Last edited by a moderator:

I am not forgetting that he has some first hand experience. But the reason he is a hot name is not because of his innovations with EP. I am only stating that there is a risk to go outside the organization simply because the entire offense if this program has been built around the tenents of what Weiss put together with BB.

And again, I also said I think it could be pretty special. But there is always this little bit of risk when you go directly to an external solution that things wont mesh as well as people hoped for.

It happens with players all the time why should it be impossible for coaches.

Hes interviewing with Cardinals and Jets reportedly.
We wont get to interview him before we know Josh is leaving or not.
Afraid we will miss out on potentially landing him.

Texas held Georgia to their lowest offensive output of the season, so while I agree the defenses in the Big 12 are not all that good, the offenses are a big part of that.

And Baker Mayfield and Patrick Mahomes have transitioned pretty well so far from that conference to the NFL.
Those 2 young men have had good starts to their careers. How's RG3, Treyvone Boykin, Landry Jones and Colt McCoy doing? Or how is that all-world Texas Tech QB we drafted 15 years ago doing...? I forget the guy's name.... Kliff something-or-other....

Those 2 young men have had good starts to their careers. How's RG3, Treyvone Boykin, Landry Jones and Colt McCoy doing? Or how is that all-world Texas Tech QB we drafted 15 years ago doing...? I forget the guy's name.... Kliff something-or-other....

Your point? Name the conference that has more stud QBs in the league than bad ones.

Cardinals and Kingsbury make sense.
I really wanted to see him come here as a offensive coach.
But if Mcdaniels is staying put im ok with that.
I want Brady to have some new fresh ideas and feel challenged.
I hope Josh can still do that.

Hes interviewing with Cardinals and Jets reportedly.
We wont get to interview him before we know Josh is leaving or not.
Afraid we will miss out on potentially landing him.
Wait, so you're saying that the NFL is willing to bend one of its rules because the Jets are interested in him? Please bring me my fainting couch.

Also, there's this:

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back