PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kicking the 56 yard FG vs going for it on 4th and 3

4th and 13. Giants' 31 yard line. Gostkowski ready to kick 50 yard FG. Score 7-3. 3rd quarter. 6:54 time left on 3rd.

Go for it??!?!?!?!?!??!

FOURTH AND FRICKIN THIRTEEN!! And we're ahead. And there's no requirement for TDs. In fact it's a tight game and FGs are valuable.

Go for it?!?!?!!?

Biggest coaching blunder in Superbowl history after the Carroll call to throw? Ok maybe I exaggerate. Too harsh on Carroll. BB's call is much more obvious than Carroll's!!!!!!

No possible justification could exist other than an injury to Gostkowski. A truly bizarre call.

4th and 13. Giants' 31 yard line. Gostkowski ready to kick 50 yard FG. Score 7-3. 3rd quarter. 6:54 time left on 3rd.

Go for it??!?!?!?!?!??!

FOURTH AND FRICKIN THIRTEEN!! And we're ahead. And there's no requirement for TDs. In fact it's a tight game and FGs are valuable.

Go for it?!?!?!!?

Biggest coaching blunder in Superbowl history after the Carroll call to throw? Ok maybe I exaggerate. Too harsh on Carroll. BB's call is much more obvious than Carroll's!!!!!!

They also should've done a better job helping OxyKaczur on 3rd/7 right before that...

The game was lost when JJ fumbled.
They were just starting to roll and lost all momentum.
You can't cough it up against the Champs and expect to win.
This offense is not good enough for that yet.

I agree but that was a great play by the defender. Tough fumble to avoid.

To me it says that Josh and BB just aren't ready to put a game in Mac Jones' hands even though their K hadn't made an FG that long in ages and they were playing in a downpour. I think they had to balance the value of showing that kind of trust in a Rookie QB, even if he was playing with a veteran's confidence behind a porous offensive line (and an offense that had already turned the ball over at a crucial time), and taking a chance on Folk, which ended up millimeters from being validated. They're just not ready to do that, whether we Monday Morning HC's like it or not.

As for the comparison to "4th and 2," I believe you'd need a truck to remove the memorabilia, which are already in Canton, earned by the Pats' QB in that situation...and we all know how the decision turned out.

The decision is consistent with how they're managing Jones' first season so far. They aren't taking off the training wheels and opening up the playbook so they're sending in plays that minimize the risk of sack fests behind a weak line that could damage the body and/or confidence of a young QB.

It doesn't make for exciting Sunday afternoons, but I think Jones is the real deal and will grow into the role. A half dozen or so wins this year will be a great start for him, without getting sideline by injury when our backup is...who?

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back