PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kicker competition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meatface

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
The Pats drafted Justin Rohrwasser in the 5th round to be their kicker, but so far it seems like he is the only person in camp. It seems odd to me considering they have brought in competition for every other special teams job after drafting someone.

The pick was a bit odd considering most expected Rohrwasser to go undrafted and instead he was the first kicker taken in the draft. His numbers in college are fine but aren't exactly impressive 18-21 on Field goals last year. I'm guessing that the Pats scouts must have seen something they liked in him but at the same time they missed the fact that he had a 3%ers tattoo on his forearm.
Am I missing something, why the confidence in Rohrwasser? SI's big reason for the pats drafting him is his experience in bad conditions, which seems a little thin.

Nick Folk is still a free agent and maybe they bring him or someone else in after they cut a QB.

I'm all for competition but I don't know who I'd want them to sign. Folk should only be a mid season injury replacement at this stage of his career, same with Nugent.

Also, I know it's not how the Patriots operate to just hand a spot to a player based on draft position, but it would be a massive disappointment/waste of draft resources to take a kicker this early and not keep him.

I'm all for competition but I don't know who I'd want them to sign. Folk should only be a mid season injury replacement at this stage of his career, same with Nugent.

Also, I know it's not how the Patriots operate to just hand a spot to a player based on draft position, but it would be a massive disappointment/waste of draft resources to take a kicker this early and not keep him.

The last time they had any serious kicker competition in camp was Gostkowski's rookie year (and the year before, when they had Gould and Vinateri).

Didn't he have a really high percentage in game winning kicks (possibly even 100%?) As well as good range and the bad weather experience.

Similar to Newton, it’s probably a matter of waiting for contract demands to drop. It made sense for Newton to give in and accept his one offer because he needs to start working on the playbook. For competition-level kickers, there’s not really much to gain from signing until training camp in about a month.

Folk exceeded my expectations last season. Was one of the bright spots.

This easily has the potential to be Billy's Worst 5th-round pick Evah...What a waste...

We are talking about kickers here, not exactly breaking the bank.

The last time they had any serious kicker competition in camp was Gostkowski's rookie year (and the year before, when they had Gould and Vinateri).
didn't they bring in some competition after he missed most of the 2010 season?

This easily has the potential to be Billy's Worst 5th-round pick Evah...What a waste...

This kid can kick. If he ends up being a top kicker in this league like Tucker or Ghost, then it's worth it.

didn't they bring in some competition after he missed most of the 2010 season?

They signed Shayne Graham as a replacement to a two-year deal. But there was no question that the job was Gostkowski's as long as he got healthy. They've also had a few camp legs in over the years, but none of them were a serious threat to take his job.

This guy has never kicked a field goal or kickoff as a pro and he's already one of the worst draft picks ever... take your depression meds.

I wouldn't mind seeing Folk as some competition. There's also that trick shot kicker that BB had in for a cup of coffee last year.

This guy has never kicked a field goal or kickoff as a pro and he's already one of the worst draft picks ever... take your depression meds.
woosh

I wrote that he could be his worst 5th-rounder ever, not that he is already.

Assume they will bring some kickers into camp and if he fails they will have a few to choose from. Hopefully he turns into another Ghost but if not they should be able to pick up someone serviceable like last year.

For kickers, do you need multiple kickers on the roster physically competing side-by-side? It seems like you would just have them compete against a set of metrics based on situations/kicks made and if they fall short you hire the next guy available who has better completion rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down