PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Key question: Has the destruction of the dynasty begun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

p8ryts

In the Starting Line-Up
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/andrew_perloff/05/12/minicamp.roundup/index.html

Andrew Perloff, Inside the NFL says:

"NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
Key question: Has the destruction of the dynasty begun? Remember how the mid-'90s Cowboys started bleeding talent to free agency and the Super Bowl runs abruptly stopped? It feels like that process is well under way in New England. There's been some grumbling from key players about losing veterans, and unless coach Bill Belichick imposes a gag order, it could continue this offseason."

What a bunch of BS!!! We will be better than last year, we will be more focused, and we will win the 4th SB this year..

Grumbling from veterans ? Not that I've seen, just answering questions that are asked. With a few signings of vets, if we can do it, I think we're right in the middle of the dynasty. As close to the beginning as to the end.

p8ryts said:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/andrew_perloff/05/12/minicamp.roundup/index.html

Andrew Perloff, Inside the NFL says:

"NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
Key question: Has the destruction of the dynasty begun? Remember how the mid-'90s Cowboys started bleeding talent to free agency and the Super Bowl runs abruptly stopped? It feels like that process is well under way in New England. There's been some grumbling from key players about losing veterans, and unless coach Bill Belichick imposes a gag order, it could continue this offseason."

What a bunch of BS!!! We will be better than last year, we will be more focused, and we will win the 4th SB this year..

If simple comments such as Brady saying he's going to miss McGinest qualify as 'grumbling', then he's got a point. Needless to say, this article is laughably flawed.

Dallas coupled their loss of FAs, by having lousy drafts and (more important) an unsettled coaching situation. This dynasty will run until BB quits, imho. This team has more talent after their 3rd SB win than Dallas did.

The only grumbling I can think of was when Bruschi was asked about the McGuinest loss. He did sound pretty upset and panicked, calling out TBS saying he needed to step up.

BelichickFan said:
Grumbling from veterans ? Not that I've seen, just answering questions that are asked. With a few signings of vets, if we can do it, I think we're right in the middle of the dynasty. As close to the beginning as to the end.

I absolutely agree with you. That article is BS. We lost a LB, WR, and a Kicker. With all due respect to those players, as awesome as they were, they don't represent the core of this team. BB, Brady, Bruschi, Seymour, Vrabel, Branch and Harrison are all still here.

The rest of the players that left here were role players who outgrew their role and were ready to take the next step in their career. Matt Chatham is an example of this. He wanted to be a starter, but that wasn't his role here. Therefore he left.

IMHO, the day we lose BB, Brady and Seymour is the day that this "dynasty" will begin to crumble.

Last edited:
Yes. This article makes a lot of sense. Belichick, Pioli and Kraft should be compared to Barry Switzer and Jerry Jones.

The destruction of the dynasty? No. The reloading to perpetuate it. Yes.

We all know they hate their coach! How are they ever going to win after losing Milloy?

Last edited by a moderator:
re

The Cowboys lost Jimmy Johnson and a lot of their brain power. That's how their dynasty ended.

We still have BB, Pioli, and Kraft. Also, we're more like the Bill Walsh 49ers than the Jimmy Johnson Cowboys. As far as I'm concerned, we just re-loaded for title runs from 2007-1010.

Expect a 1989, 49er-like season from the Pats either this year or next year.

DefenseRules said:
IMHO, the day we lose BB, Brady and Seymour is the day that this "dynasty" will begin to crumble.
As long as we have Bill and Tommy, everything should be fine IMO. I think Bill can do what he needs to with other positions but you can't manufacture a great QB. Tommy was like a gift from God to Belichick.

Just totally dumb...I like it when these numb skull writers actually write dumb things..National ones especially..say more and more and see where prefictions are in 7 months?? Down the tubes..but who will remember??

pats1 said:
We all know they hate their coach! How are they ever going to win after losing Milloy?

It's not so much Milloy as Ted Washington. They'll never stop the run again. The D Line is made out of cheesecloth.

I don't think this year's team stops short of the AFC championship game. I've indicated elsewhere, however, that this team has a lot of room to improve. IF the 2006 Pats play to their potential - especially down the stretch - they'll be a very good squad, good enough to get it done (SB XLI.) And that's assuming health. Regardless, I see the next few years as an upward trend, given the hits versus misses via the draft, and the movement to lock in those hits.

But hey, that's why they (eventually) play the games. Oh GOD I am Jonesing.

PFnV

re

BelichickFan said:
I think Bill can do what he needs to with other positions but you can't manufacture a great QB. Tommy was like a gift from God to Belichick.

Hey, I have as much man-love for Brady as the next guy, but give Belichick and Weiss credit for developing Brady into the QB he is. For example, look at how Weiss has transformed Quinn, Stovall, and Fasano into NFL players.

Given Belichick's history of turning other 5th, 6th, 7th rounders and undrafted free agents into good players, I have to say Brady was just as lucky to be developed by Belichick and the Pats' organization.

Last edited:
I think it was all over when we lost Brady, Seymour, Wilfork and Warren to free agency.

Oh, I'm confused. We have them all signed.:D

BTW, imagine if a football team could be as continously awful in developing players as S.I. is in reporting sports and still prosper.

Fortunately for the league that's not true.

It took awhile for the old/new CBA to have its full effect in the 1990s

The destruction of the Dallas dynasty was the result of the organization unprepared and unable to meet the challenge of the CBA and FA.

Today it is recognized that the nature of modern football is that a team will lose free agents. The Patriots organization recognizes this and continually restocks and retools, attempting to plan years ahead - not months.

There is no team better equipped to thrive in this environment than the Patriots.

Citing the loss of free agents as a sign of the end of a dynasty suggests that the author just doesn't understand modern football.

I think this is disrespect of major proportion for the remaining players and coaches on this team following the few player losses we have had. I think this is actually great stuff to be used for motivation and as a rallying point and battle cry for the upcoming season.

While it may be debatable exactly what the significance of those players at this point of their career will be and really we wont be able to measure the actual significance of their losses until their replacements actually play - what I can say is the obvious to anybody that knows football. This 2006 team is deep and areal powerhouse. The draft appears to me to be ahuge success with potential to restock and upgrade the talent level at several positions.

As long as players such as Brady, Seymour, Vrabel, Bruschi etc etc play for this team and we have Bill Belichick / Scott Pioli coaching and running things and of course the Krafts being the classy, shrewd owners that they are, these New England Patriots will continue on as a top team. I really believe we are destined to continue to enjoy the greatest Championship run in the history of the NFL.

Did Kraft fire Belichick and replace him with Lou Holtz?

Two words for SI: Barry Switzer.

maverick4 said:
Hey, I have as much man-love for Brady as the next guy, but give Belichick and Weiss credit for developing Brady into the QB he is.
I do agree with that but my gut feeling is that it would take a special QB to turn into what Brady has regardless of the great coaching.

There is no comparison between that Dallas team and New England. The Cowboys were always a ticking bomb waiting to expode. Which happened after the owner told reporters any number of coaches could take this team to the superbowl during the superbowl festivities (compare owners here). The Cowboys had a nice run and were done after their third title. They made the playoffs the next year and had a losing record the next year. Compare that losing record to what you think the Patriots will do this year. In addition, the Patriots have one starter on offense who is over 30 years of age (Dillon) and it appears his replacement is ready and able. On defense, there are two starters who are 31 and 32 (Vrabel, Bruschi). How does that compare to the Cowboys who were in decline after their third title? Yea, great comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes