PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TE Lance Kendricks suspended 1 game

Status
Not open for further replies.
"We" once had Scott Secules at QB also. Things change.
I was there rooting for him. Tommy Hodson too. We were under different management as I recall. Standards and expectations also change. Maybe they can succeed with these guys. But the contrast is striking.

Not too worried about it, since I doubt they were planning to go TE-heavy to beat the Steelers anyway. I wonder if the extra week will help them get an idea of if LaCosse will be healthy in time to be a contributor or not. They may as well carry LaCosse on the 53 for Week 1 and then if he’s still not close enough by Week 2, activate Kendricks and IR LaCosse. Not sure if that would have detrimental salary cap implications however.

gronk has always been a steeler killer in the past, but they are going to have to go with a lot of 3 WR sets and the running game for this one. McD will adjust. honestly, if we need kendricks to beat the steelers we have a lot of other problems...

Last edited:
Not entirely sure it will matter much as he may not be one of the final 53

Gives Bill some added optionality. Kendricks is clearly on the bubble, and so if he was likely going to be cut anyway, then Bill will cut him a week later and no harm done. But this way if we get another TE injury, then maybe Bill has a chance to add Kendricks for game 2. If he was probably going to be on the roster, then also no harm done. We get an extra player for week 1, and then depending on injuries and performance you cut or IR some other player and add Kendricks.
Edit: And in the latter case, his salary is no longer guaranteed, so if some "other" TE were to return later in the year...

Last edited:
2 "bonus" roster spots for week one, and one extra week to see if Kendricks is someone who needs to be kept. Given all the circumstances, it's almost as if Rodger the Dodger's doing the Patriots a favor.

Any chance we carry no tight ends through week 4? Do any of these guys actually provide any ability or role that couldn't be filled without them?

See tweet a few posts up for explanation. He won't be on Week 1 roster, so salary isn't guaranteed.
That seems wrong. I don’t think suspended counts as not being on the roster. But I doubt I am right and Miguel is wrong.

Darn it

That seems wrong. I don’t think suspended counts as not being on the roster. But I doubt I am right and Miguel is wrong.
This is true for all suspensions, same was reported for Ben Watson.

“Obviously that was bad news with the four-game suspension, but what it does for New England is give them roster flexibility,” Tannenbaum opined. “He won’t be on the roster on opening day, and therefore as a veteran, his contract won’t be guaranteed."

Benjamin Watson suspension has silver lining, says former NFL exec

Now, it is easier for an injured player to be on the 53 and then put on in-season IR the next day. In general, it gives Belichick a bit of flexibility during the first week.

I think this gives Belichick flexibility in regards to Hoyer and Stidham, especially in light of the Luck retirement and the likelihood that the Colts will be looking at cuts to add a QB behind Brissette.

Cut his ass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back