SOURCE:Boston Herald

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Lions
Fri
Aug 25th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Tough Night
It was a rough night for Jimmy Garoppolo, who made a key mistake on his final pass of the night that proved to be the difference as the Patriots lost 27-23 in Houston.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Just lost my job

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Simpelton, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Simpelton

Simpelton Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1,142
    It's all over but the screaming, and the final week of work before the call center closes its doors. Some of us are gonna get the opportunity to work from home, but I dunno man. I kinda want to GO to work, know what I mean?

Anyone know someone that could use a survey researcher with 5 years experience, 2 years of that in a supervisory position? I kinda feel like hanging onto a job like call center work for 5 years when most people are out the door in a matter of a couple months marks me either mentally tough or a victim of Stockholm syndrome, one of the two.

Anyway, just a bit off balance just now and needed to vent. I dunno maybe I should just take the unemployment. Or just go for the work from home job and keep doing what I've been doing. God, I dunno.

2. Thelonious

Thelonious On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +630
    Sorry to hear about your plight. Work is important: it's good for you, particularly for men, I think, and it's a little dangerous not to have it, even money aside. I had jobs disappear on me a couple of times: I took manual work - tree work and a stint at a maple sugary - and, though each job seemed a come-down at the time, I look back fondly now on those days. I hope you can put something together for the sake of you and yours.

On the "just get something" point, I have hired a few people in my time, and any job looks better than a gap, for what it's worth.

I'd take the at-home option, if it eventuates, and keep my eyes open for something better. Who knows, though? You might like it.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  3. anditsgood

anditsgood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3,248
    Sorry to hear, best of luck

4. KontradictioN

KontradictioN The fix is in PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23,291
    That sucks man. I worked in a call center through my 20's to finance my own way through college. It takes a special kind of person to do that for a living. Good luck in your search.

5. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6,332
    Sorry to hear it.

I'll agree with @Thelonious. Just get something for now, if you can't do the at-home thing. And hell, this could be a chance to move somewhere new if you don't have roots or good job opportunities where you are.

6. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +45
    So sorry as hope you can find a better job. As well as someone that will treat you right.

7. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +23,291
    I have an idea of what you could be doing in your free time, and it's to clean that room that's in your cover photo. :) Not trying to sound overly harsh, but I have my MBA in Business Management and we actively seek out people's social media accounts when hiring. You may want to remove that pic. Sounds odd, but a clutter like that can sometimes speak to how you treat other issues in your life and your planning abilities.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  8. Simpelton

Ratings:
    +1,142
    Your point is reasonable, but at the same time... I'm a supervisor in a call center. The level of hiring procedure I'm used to is "can breathe? Check. Can read? Cool, bonus. You're hired."

I rose through the ranks from the ground floor level to the highest position I can occupy in my branch of the company, and lasted 5 years at a job where most people don't last 5 weeks. If Facebook is enough to wipe that out in the minds of a prospective employer I'm not sure that employer would have been right for me anyway.

For the record I created that Facebook channel very recently. I avoided the Book of Faces almost completely for most of my life. I decided I couldn't do that anymore when I was promoted to supervisor, because it's useful to be in touch with your workers in exactly the way you're talking about. So I do get what you're talking about but for me what I was looking at and kind of analyzing about people is their use of the language. People who use language well even when they're off duty have more of my attention than people that don't.

And for the moment there is no free time. I'm working, my days are just numbered. The thing that sucks right now is that the center is still running for the next 3-4 days, and I have to try to keep production going as best I can with a crew with morale somewhere below the bedrock and burrowing in the direction of the planetary core. The day shift supervisor has already started the looting/scavenging procedure, and is marking what can be taken and what needs to be sent back to the company. I had to rescue some things I'd bought for the use of my shift, that were technically my personal property, from people's claim piles. That's about the level of morale I have to work with at the moment.

I'm doing what I can -- but I also brought a copy of the local newspaper in and put it in the breakroom, just in case someone wanted to peruse the last few pages while on break. I need to find ways to appreciate the folks that are sticking it out and fighting to the bitter end. Saving them the cost of a paper is the least I can do.

It would help if we knew WHO was gonna get the work from home offers yet, it's heavily suggested it won't be everyone, so that's up in the air and leaving people on tenterhooks as well. Basically I can't help but feel that HR could have held this news until they knew who they were keeping as work from home. This extended last gasp is just depressing and stressful.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  9. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +23,291
    Well good luck to you. You're no doubt going to run into a situation in which some bitter employee verbally abuses a customer over the phone. You'll have your hands full.

10. Simpelton

Ratings:
    +1,142
    Well they've extended the work from home offer to me. Thought they would, I've always been one of their more reliable people. I don't know though... hard to imagine it not working out in a way where I wind up being just another rank and filer again in the end. Not sure I have the discipline to take the job seriously from home either. And based on the reason for closing the center (not enough work to justify the location) it's hard to believe the hours would be good. I want to see what's out there before I put anything on paper.

11. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +23,291
    It's better than going on unemployment, though. I'd take it until you find something better.

12. venecol

venecol PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,338
    Take the at home position. Think of it this way: they'll be paying you while you look for another more reliable job. Plus there won't be a gap in your employment history.

Good luck, you'll be fine.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,969
    There's a reason for everything, keep enjoying today there is a better job coming tomorrow.......You'll see.

14. ForThoseAboutToRock

ForThoseAboutToRock PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +918
    I've heard it said that it's easier to find a new job when you already have a job. I'd echo the others here and tell you to stay on board while actively seeking new opportunities.

As for not having the discipline to take the job seriously from home - just look at it like you're building a new skill. There's nothing magical about going to a physical office, it's the same work. Use working from home as an opportunity to create a new goal and train yourself to achieve it. If you tell yourself it cannot be done, it's quite likely you'll end up proving yourself right.