PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

June 14 in Pats History: Chung

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
Today in Patriots History
The first Chung

June 14 is a case of quantity over quality, starting with a draft bust from the final year of the **** MacPherson era.

Happy 52nd birthday to Eugene Chung
Born June 14, 1969 in Prince George's County, Maryland
Patriot G/T, 1992-1994; uniform #69
Pats 1st round (13th overall) selection of the 1992 draft, from Virginia Tech

29834ee0686b4372b31a696194320a37_front.jpg

Nov 22, 1991:

Chung is considered one of the nation's best offensive linemen and a certain first-round pick in next spring's NFL draft. Pro Football Weekly's draft preview rates Chung as the fifth best player available and the second-best lineman; the NFL scouting combine lists him as the fourth best overall and the top lineman.​

Dave Thomas, director of operations with NFL Draft Report, calls Chung the best college offensive lineman since Pittsburgh's Bill Fralic in 1984. He says the consensus among league scouts is that Chung, whom he compares to perennial All-Pro Anthony Munoz of the Cincinnati Bengals, will be one of the first five players picked.​

Eugene Chung is the only Korean-American football player to be drafted in the first round in NFL history, and the only Asian-American player drafted in the first round since 1962. He did start 30 games over his first two years in the NFL, but considering the Patriots were a 7-25 team during that span, that is not much of an endorsement to his performance. In '94 Chung was a healthy scratch for twelve games and had officially become a draft bust, replaced by former Giant Bob Kratch.

CKCKYOoUEAAxqaW.jpg

510BXJtQg3L._SY445_.jpg

On February 15, 1995 the NFL held an expansion draft for two new teams, Jacksonville and Carolina. Each existing club had to make six players available to stockpile the new franchises, and the Pats elected to cut their losses and make Chung available. The Jaguars selected Chung as the 26th of their 31 selections. He played in 11 games with no starts for the Jags before being waived, then spent one final NFL season as a backup with Indianapolis. Eugene Chung played in 34 games with 30 starts over three years for the Patriots, with all but three games coming in his first two seasons; overall he appeared in 55 games from 1992-1997.

Despite never really 'getting it' on the field as a player, from 2010 through 2019 Chung found employment as an assistant offensive line coach, with the Eagles (twice) and the Chiefs.

Jan 17, 2019:

The Eagles have failed to develop many offensive linemen over the last couple years, starting with the regression of Isaac Seumalo from his rookie season too Matt Pryor not seeing a snap in any game his rookie year (Pryor was also a sixth-round pick). Jordan Mailata, the Eagles seventh-round pick, has developed at an impressive rate for being a former rugby player...but didn't play a snap in 2018.​

May 26, 2021:

One coach told Chung he was never going to gain weight eating with chopsticks. Another high school coach once told him there was no way he would ever play Division I football because he was “Oriental.”​

“The list goes on,” said Chung. “I could sit here and write a whole novel about it.”​

These experiences followed him to the pros. Chung has spent parts of the past three decades in the NFL as a player and an assistant coach, winning a Super Bowl in Philadelphia in 2013 as the team’s assistant offensive line coach. Participating on an Asian American sports panel last week, Chung revealed he was recently told he was “not the right minority” while interviewing for an NFL coaching job this offseason.​

Eugene-Chung.jpg

Matt Stevens

Happy 48th birthday to Matt Stevens
Born June 14, 1973 in Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Patriot safety, 2000-2001; uniform #26
Claimed off waivers from Washington on December 19, 2000

41tr5IeXZXL.jpg

Over eight years Stevens played in 108 NFL games with 42 starts, plus six playoff games. He had earned a ring for Super Bowl 36 by playing in 15 games with four starts for the Pats that year, with one pick, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery.

a359aba49cd54375a681db484ba0452c_front.jpg

In 2007 Stevens was paralyzed from the waist down after a motorcycle accident, but after several years of rehabilitative therapy has regained ability to walk.

Dec 23, 2007:

His NFL career ended when the Texans cut him the following year. He struggled with life after football. His marriage ended. Finally, when he seemed to have figured things out, one careless day changed everything.​

"It's mind-boggling," he said. "One day, I'm out there running around doing what I wanted to do, jumping in the pool, playing with my kids. Now all I can do is sit in a chair and watch everybody else. I remember telling myself I'd never buy a sport bike, and then when I did, I told myself I'd never do anything crazy. I did something crazy, and I paid for it."​

He pays for it every hour of every day as the simplest of tasks become incomprehensibly difficult and, at times, humiliating.​

"I only have half my diaphragm," he said. "I can't spit. I can't blow my nose. People do stuff like that and never give it a second thought. Truthfully, though, I just don't spend much time thinking like that. I can't wallow in self-pity. All I can do is keep working and trying to get better."​

July 3, 2011 - Matt Stevens, NFL Paraplegic Becomes Bionic Man, Walks Again | Houston News Today

Stevens' injury was debilitating. A severe spinal cord injury paralyzed him from the chest down. Both his shoulders were broken, both lungs punctured, his heart bruised and he had multiple internal injuries. The prospects didn't look good.​

But the human body and mind are amazingly resilient, when you have inner strength and especially when you have the support of friends and family.​

After three years in a wheelchair, Matt Stevens can stand and move again, like a bionic man, without his wheelchair.​

Living in Philadelphia, Stevens attends ReWalk therapy three times a week at MossRehab, in Elkins Park, at the Albert Einstein Healthcare Network. MossRehab says they are conducting clinical trials of ReWalk, a "motorized, quasi-robotic, lightweight, wearable brace support suit with powered joints, rechargeable batteries, an array of sensors and a computer-based patient control system."​

Dec 20, 2000:

The New England Patriots announced that they have placed cornerback Ty Law on the reserve/suspended list today. Also today, the team also announced that they were awarded safety Matt Stevens, who was claimed off waivers from the Washington Redskins, signed fullback Jeff Paulk off the practice squad and added former Boston University punter Brad Costello to the practice squad.​

Stevens, 27, is a fifth-year veteran who was a third-round draft choice (80th overall) of the Buffalo Bills. The 6-foot, 206-pound safety played four years at Appalachian State.​

March 16, 2001:

In his only game with New England Stevens contributed a special teams tackle.​

“His time with the Patriots at end of the season was very invaluable in his decision to go with New England over several other teams,” Cornrich said. “Once again, the opportunity to play in a superior defensive scheme was something Matt felt would enhance his own abilities.”​

Stevens played in 15 games for the Redskins in 1999 and had a career-high 54 tackles, a team-high six interceptions and 12 passes defensed. He also recorded his first NFL sack and three special teams tackles.​

Stevens was originally drafted in the third round of the 1996 NFL draft by the Buffalo Bills.​

Feb 18, 2002:

The Patriots officially lost its first member of their 2001 Super Bowl championship team when safety Matt Stevens was taken with the 10th pick of the Houston Texans expansion draft Monday.​

Feb 18, 2002:

Houston had the option of selecting anywhere from 30-42 players or using at least 38 percent of the salary cap. General Manager Charlie Casserly chose the latter route, and needed just six picks to exceed the $27.02 million dollar figure that represents the requisite cap percentage.​

The Patriots did not pull back any of their four remaining players – Ted Johnson, Willie McGinest, Charles Johnson and Terrance Shaw – but the Texans chose not to select any of them.​

The rest of June 14 trivialities

Happy 50th birthday to Fred Baxter
Born June 14, 1971 in Brundidge, Alabama
Patriot TE, 2002-2003; uniform #49 and #84
Signed as a veteran free agent on December 24, 2002

Fred Baxter was 31 when he signed on with the Patriots for the final game of 2002. The following year he played in twelve games, on special teams and as a reserve. Over twelve NFL seasons Baxter played in 134 games with 50 starts (mostly for the Jets, also with the Bears), with 100 receptions and 12 touchdowns.

Happy 75th birthday to Paul Feldhausen
Born June 14, 1946 in Madison, WI
Patriot OT, 1968-1970; uniform #66
Pats 11th round (278th overall) pick of the 1968 draft, from Division 3 Northland College in Wisconsin.

Paul Feldhausen was cut at the end of his rookie training camp, then spent most of the year on the taxi squad while playing for the Lowell Giants of the Atlantic Coast Football League. He was activated late in the season, primarily playing on special teams. Feldhausen was again cut at the end of camp in both 1969 and 1970, and again returned to playing in the ACFL. Paul had to retire after injuring his back in a freak blocking dummy accident during the 1971 training camp.

Paul%20E.%20Feldhausen.jpg

Happy 56th birthday to Tony Mumford
Born June 14, 1963 in Philadelphia
Patriot RB, 1985 off season
Pats 12th round (328th overall) pick of the 1985 draft, from Penn State

Mumford never made it with the Patriots, but did get in to a couple of games for the St. Louis Cardinals later in the '85 season.

Happy 32nd birthday to Jared Veldheer
Born June 14, 1987 in Grand Rapids, Michigan
Patriot OT for eight days in May of 2019
Signed as an unrestricted free agent on May 7, 2019

The Patriots signed the nine year veteran to a one-year, $3.5 million contract with the idea he may start at left tackle, or at minimum be a high quality swing tackle, insurance with Isaiah Wynn returning from a torn Achilles tendon injury. Vedlheer was coming off an injury himself (knee), though not as severe. Jared lasted all of one OTA and decided his body could not take it and needed rest, and retired. Then in midseason he declared he wanted to play again - but for the Packers, not New England. The Patriots complied rather than take on the salary cap implications and waived him. He played in all of two games for Green Bay, then one for the Colts last year.

Others born on this date with New England connections:

- John Mellekas (6/14/33-6/2/15); Newport RI native was the 47th overall pick of the 1956 draft. He spent eight years in the NFL with Chicago, San Francisco and Philadelphia, playing in 85 games at center, tackle and defensive tackle.

- Joe Zeno (6/14/19-1/8/92); went to Waltham High School and Holy Cross. The 36th overall pick of the 1946 draft was a Pro Bowl lineman, and after returning from WWII played the 1946-47 Boston Yanks. While captain for Washington, Zeno was perhaps the only guard to call plays rather than the quarterback.

- Gene Filipski (6/14/31-8/23/94); grew up in Webster MA. He spent two years in the NFL and four in the CFL as a HB/KR/PR. Filipski later became the color commentator for CTV football broadcasts.

- David Gamble, 50 (6/14/71); wide receiver went to UNH and got a ring with the 1997 Denver Broncos.

- Jack Spellman (6/14/99-8/1/66); Connecticut native went to Enfield High School and Brown University. Played end, tackle and wingback from 1925-32 for the Providence Steamrollers and the Boston Braves. Spellman won a gold medal in wrestling at the 1924 Olympic games in Paris.

- Frank Bausch (6/14/08-4/6/76); All Pro center played eight NFL seasons, including three with the 1934-36 Boston Redskins.

- Doug Nott (6/14/11-5/25/91); tailback for the 1935 Boston Redskins.

The first Chung

June 14 is a case of quantity over quality, starting with a draft bust from the final year of the **** MacPherson era.

Happy 52nd birthday to Eugene Chung
Born June 14, 1969 in Prince George's County, Maryland
Patriot G/T, 1992-1994; uniform #69
Pats 1st round (13th overall) selection of the 1992 draft, from Virginia Tech

29834ee0686b4372b31a696194320a37_front.jpg

Nov 22, 1991:

Chung is considered one of the nation's best offensive linemen and a certain first-round pick in next spring's NFL draft. Pro Football Weekly's draft preview rates Chung as the fifth best player available and the second-best lineman; the NFL scouting combine lists him as the fourth best overall and the top lineman.​

Dave Thomas, director of operations with NFL Draft Report, calls Chung the best college offensive lineman since Pittsburgh's Bill Fralic in 1984. He says the consensus among league scouts is that Chung, whom he compares to perennial All-Pro Anthony Munoz of the Cincinnati Bengals, will be one of the first five players picked.​

Eugene Chung is the only Korean-American football player to be drafted in the first round in NFL history, and the only Asian-American player drafted in the first round since 1962. He did start 30 games over his first two years in the NFL, but considering the Patriots were a 7-25 team during that span, that is not much of an endorsement to his performance. In '94 Chung was a healthy scratch for twelve games and had officially become a draft bust, replaced by former Giant Bob Kratch.

CKCKYOoUEAAxqaW.jpg

510BXJtQg3L._SY445_.jpg

On February 15, 1995 the NFL held an expansion draft for two new teams, Jacksonville and Carolina. Each existing club had to make six players available to stockpile the new franchises, and the Pats elected to cut their losses and make Chung available. The Jaguars selected Chung as the 26th of their 31 selections. He played in 11 games with no starts for the Jags before being waived, then spent one final NFL season as a backup with Indianapolis. Eugene Chung played in 34 games with 30 starts over three years for the Patriots, with all but three games coming in his first two seasons; overall he appeared in 55 games from 1992-1997.

Despite never really 'getting it' on the field as a player, from 2010 through 2019 Chung found employment as an assistant offensive line coach, with the Eagles (twice) and the Chiefs.

Jan 17, 2019:

The Eagles have failed to develop many offensive linemen over the last couple years, starting with the regression of Isaac Seumalo from his rookie season too Matt Pryor not seeing a snap in any game his rookie year (Pryor was also a sixth-round pick). Jordan Mailata, the Eagles seventh-round pick, has developed at an impressive rate for being a former rugby player...but didn't play a snap in 2018.​

May 26, 2021:

One coach told Chung he was never going to gain weight eating with chopsticks. Another high school coach once told him there was no way he would ever play Division I football because he was “Oriental.”​

“The list goes on,” said Chung. “I could sit here and write a whole novel about it.”​

These experiences followed him to the pros. Chung has spent parts of the past three decades in the NFL as a player and an assistant coach, winning a Super Bowl in Philadelphia in 2013 as the team’s assistant offensive line coach. Participating on an Asian American sports panel last week, Chung revealed he was recently told he was “not the right minority” while interviewing for an NFL coaching job this offseason.​

Eugene-Chung.jpg

Didn't have access to as much draft info back then, but I really thought he was going to help here...

Matt Stevens

Happy 48th birthday to Matt Stevens
Born June 14, 1973 in Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Patriot safety, 2000-2001; uniform #26
Claimed off waivers from Washington on December 19, 2000

41tr5IeXZXL.jpg

Over eight years Stevens played in 108 NFL games with 42 starts, plus six playoff games. He had earned a ring for Super Bowl 36 by playing in 15 games with four starts for the Pats that year, with one pick, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery.

a359aba49cd54375a681db484ba0452c_front.jpg

In 2007 Stevens was paralyzed from the waist down after a motorcycle accident, but after several years of rehabilitative therapy has regained ability to walk.

Dec 23, 2007:

His NFL career ended when the Texans cut him the following year. He struggled with life after football. His marriage ended. Finally, when he seemed to have figured things out, one careless day changed everything.​

"It's mind-boggling," he said. "One day, I'm out there running around doing what I wanted to do, jumping in the pool, playing with my kids. Now all I can do is sit in a chair and watch everybody else. I remember telling myself I'd never buy a sport bike, and then when I did, I told myself I'd never do anything crazy. I did something crazy, and I paid for it."​

He pays for it every hour of every day as the simplest of tasks become incomprehensibly difficult and, at times, humiliating.​

"I only have half my diaphragm," he said. "I can't spit. I can't blow my nose. People do stuff like that and never give it a second thought. Truthfully, though, I just don't spend much time thinking like that. I can't wallow in self-pity. All I can do is keep working and trying to get better."​

July 3, 2011 - Matt Stevens, NFL Paraplegic Becomes Bionic Man, Walks Again | Houston News Today

Stevens' injury was debilitating. A severe spinal cord injury paralyzed him from the chest down. Both his shoulders were broken, both lungs punctured, his heart bruised and he had multiple internal injuries. The prospects didn't look good.​

But the human body and mind are amazingly resilient, when you have inner strength and especially when you have the support of friends and family.​

After three years in a wheelchair, Matt Stevens can stand and move again, like a bionic man, without his wheelchair.​

Living in Philadelphia, Stevens attends ReWalk therapy three times a week at MossRehab, in Elkins Park, at the Albert Einstein Healthcare Network. MossRehab says they are conducting clinical trials of ReWalk, a "motorized, quasi-robotic, lightweight, wearable brace support suit with powered joints, rechargeable batteries, an array of sensors and a computer-based patient control system."​

Dec 20, 2000:

The New England Patriots announced that they have placed cornerback Ty Law on the reserve/suspended list today. Also today, the team also announced that they were awarded safety Matt Stevens, who was claimed off waivers from the Washington Redskins, signed fullback Jeff Paulk off the practice squad and added former Boston University punter Brad Costello to the practice squad.​

Stevens, 27, is a fifth-year veteran who was a third-round draft choice (80th overall) of the Buffalo Bills. The 6-foot, 206-pound safety played four years at Appalachian State.​

March 16, 2001:

In his only game with New England Stevens contributed a special teams tackle.​

“His time with the Patriots at end of the season was very invaluable in his decision to go with New England over several other teams,” Cornrich said. “Once again, the opportunity to play in a superior defensive scheme was something Matt felt would enhance his own abilities.”​

Stevens played in 15 games for the Redskins in 1999 and had a career-high 54 tackles, a team-high six interceptions and 12 passes defensed. He also recorded his first NFL sack and three special teams tackles.​

Stevens was originally drafted in the third round of the 1996 NFL draft by the Buffalo Bills.​

Feb 18, 2002:

The Patriots officially lost its first member of their 2001 Super Bowl championship team when safety Matt Stevens was taken with the 10th pick of the Houston Texans expansion draft Monday.​

Feb 18, 2002:

Houston had the option of selecting anywhere from 30-42 players or using at least 38 percent of the salary cap. General Manager Charlie Casserly chose the latter route, and needed just six picks to exceed the $27.02 million dollar figure that represents the requisite cap percentage.​

The Patriots did not pull back any of their four remaining players – Ted Johnson, Willie McGinest, Charles Johnson and Terrance Shaw – but the Texans chose not to select any of them.​

Always liked Stevens during his years in the league...Glad he earned a ring here before his playing days ended; and am especially happy that he's able to lead a more normal life now...Motorcycles are dangerous, man.

The rest of June 14 trivialities

Happy 50th birthday to Fred Baxter
Born June 14, 1971 in Brundidge, Alabama
Patriot TE, 2002-2003; uniform #49 and #84
Signed as a veteran free agent on December 24, 2002

Fred Baxter was 31 when he signed on with the Patriots for the final game of 2002. The following year he played in twelve games, on special teams and as a reserve. Over twelve NFL seasons Baxter played in 134 games with 50 starts (mostly for the Jets, also with the Bears), with 100 receptions and 12 touchdowns.

Happy 75th birthday to Paul Feldhausen
Born June 14, 1946 in Madison, WI
Patriot OT, 1968-1970; uniform #66
Pats 11th round (278th overall) pick of the 1968 draft, from Division 3 Northland College in Wisconsin.

Paul Feldhausen was cut at the end of his rookie training camp, then spent most of the year on the taxi squad while playing for the Lowell Giants of the Atlantic Coast Football League. He was activated late in the season, primarily playing on special teams. Feldhausen was again cut at the end of camp in both 1969 and 1970, and again returned to playing in the ACFL. Paul had to retire after injuring his back in a freak blocking dummy accident during the 1971 training camp.

Paul%20E.%20Feldhausen.jpg

Happy 56th birthday to Tony Mumford
Born June 14, 1963 in Philadelphia
Patriot RB, 1985 off season
Pats 12th round (328th overall) pick of the 1985 draft, from Penn State

Mumford never made it with the Patriots, but did get in to a couple of games for the St. Louis Cardinals later in the '85 season.

Happy 32nd birthday to Jared Veldheer
Born June 14, 1987 in Grand Rapids, Michigan
Patriot OT for eight days in May of 2019
Signed as an unrestricted free agent on May 7, 2019

The Patriots signed the nine year veteran to a one-year, $3.5 million contract with the idea he may start at left tackle, or at minimum be a high quality swing tackle, insurance with Isaiah Wynn returning from a torn Achilles tendon injury. Vedlheer was coming off an injury himself (knee), though not as severe. Jared lasted all of one OTA and decided his body could not take it and needed rest, and retired. Then in midseason he declared he wanted to play again - but for the Packers, not New England. The Patriots complied rather than take on the salary cap implications and waived him. He played in all of two games for Green Bay, then one for the Colts last year.

Others born on this date with New England connections:

- John Mellekas (6/14/33-6/2/15); Newport RI native was the 47th overall pick of the 1956 draft. He spent eight years in the NFL with Chicago, San Francisco and Philadelphia, playing in 85 games at center, tackle and defensive tackle.

- Joe Zeno (6/14/19-1/8/92); went to Waltham High School and Holy Cross. The 36th overall pick of the 1946 draft was a Pro Bowl lineman, and after returning from WWII played the 1946-47 Boston Yanks. While captain for Washington, Zeno was perhaps the only guard to call plays rather than the quarterback.

- Gene Filipski (6/14/31-8/23/94); grew up in Webster MA. He spent two years in the NFL and four in the CFL as a HB/KR/PR. Filipski later became the color commentator for CTV football broadcasts.

- David Gamble, 50 (6/14/71); wide receiver went to UNH and got a ring with the 1997 Denver Broncos.

- Jack Spellman (6/14/99-8/1/66); Connecticut native went to Enfield High School and Brown University. Played end, tackle and wingback from 1925-32 for the Providence Steamrollers and the Boston Braves. Spellman won a gold medal in wrestling at the 1924 Olympic games in Paris.

- Frank Bausch (6/14/08-4/6/76); All Pro center played eight NFL seasons, including three with the 1934-36 Boston Redskins.

- Doug Nott (6/14/11-5/25/91); tailback for the 1935 Boston Redskins.

**** Jared Veldheer...And thanks for using small letters for his name...

I wonder if Eugene Chung was the inspiration for Fumiko, the sumo wrestling center from the movie The Replacements.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Back