PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Julian Edelman-Greatest Playoffs Receiver Ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZoisKing

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I always appreciate how the Patriots continue to add to their postseason successes and accolades. Seeing a Patriot in the all time leaders of any category gives me pleasure. After JE11's monster game against LA, he put himself into some prime postseason company, and I wanted to reflect on his accomplishment's and how they measure up to other all-time great playoff performers.

There are officially six players above Edelman in receiving yards in the playoffs. Many all-time comparisons use yardage as a starting point, so I'll follow suit.

The six ahead of JE11 are Rice, Irvin, Cliff Branch, Wayne, Reed, and Ward.

**I'll actually narrow the list down to five, as Jerry Rice shamefully admitted to using Stickum during his career, and was a very outspoken advocate about the negatives of cheating (specifically the Patriots), and how they define a player, or team. In my book, he crossed himself off the all-time list in any category by voicing such a strong opinion, yet clearly cheated himself in a very obvious manner. Feel free to disagree with this point, but Rice set himself up for a major fall, and didn't receive any blowback over his admittance. In my mind, he's crossed off the list.**

Moving on, here are the numbers for the five players currently ahead of Edelman:

Michael Irvin-16 games, 87 recepts, 1315 yds, 8 TD, 3 SB
Cliff Branch-22 games, 73 recepts, 1289 yds, 5 TD, 3 SB
Reggie Wayne-21 games, 93 recepts, 1254 yds, 9 TD, 1 SB
Andre Reed-21 games, 85 recepts, 1229 yds, 9 TD
Hines Ward-18 games, 88 recepts, 1181 yds, 10 TD, 2 SB

And Julian's numbers:

Julian Edelman-16 games, 98 recepts, 1175 yds, 5 TD, 2 SB

With another strong game or two, JE will be at the top of the leaderboards in receptions and yards, and would be within striking distance of the TD total as well.

A SB win, and some good performances, and he's equaled the postseason accomplishments of any WR to every play the game. That's pretty impressive for a 7th round QB turned receiver.

From the list above, there is a legit argument between Irvin, Edelman, and Ward, based purely on stats (and the number of games played being fairly similar) being the best performer ever. For me, just being in that company is satisfactory. Just being mentioned. I never saw this reign of dominance coming, and never expected a guy like JE11 to etch his name into the record books.

It's pretty cool being a Patriots fan.

Rice, then either Cliff Branch or Irvin. Edelman #4.
Surprised not to see Swann/Stallworth up there.

Rice, then either Cliff Branch or Irvin. Edelman #4.
Surprised not to see Swann/Stallworth up there.

Stallworth is 12th, Swann 19th.

I realize that today's receivers will rack up yards a bit easier than in previous years. It's hard to account for the way the game has changed, making stats a contributor, but not the end all in discussions. The Steelers' receivers surely belong in any conversation about best playoff performers.

I love Edelman, but he’s not Rice. Kind of tough to call Rice out for using stickum when Edelman just got popped for steroids.

I think Edelman will be remembered for being clutch and tough as nails. On the all time playoff list who knows. It’s tough to compare numbers from guys in the last 20 years to guys from other eras. The game is a lot different now.

Feel free to disagree with this point, but Rice set himself up for a major fall, and didn't receive any blowback over his admittance. In my mind, he's crossed off the list.**

It's pretty cool being a Patriots fan.

Yes, it is pretty cool being a Patriots fan but it would be beyond hypocritical of us to apply arbitrary asterisks and use them as a means to discount/deny the accomplishments of others when we see red whenever other fans do it to our team. If the record book recognizes an accomplishment where does any fan get off ignoring it? That's some grade school level BS, 'It doesn't count cause I said so.' Couldn't a Niners fan just as easily point to Edelman's PED suspension and discount his accomplishments by saying he used throughout his career and just finally got caught this year?

Yeah it was an absolute douche move by Rice to call out someone else as a cheater but his
151 catches, 2245 yds and 22 TD's are in the book and we'd be every bit as low rent as he was if we just decide they don't count. They also don't have any impact at all on what Edelman has accomplished.

Yes, it is pretty cool being a Patriots fan but it would be beyond hypocritical of us to apply arbitrary asterisks and use them as a means to discount/deny the accomplishments of others when we see red whenever other fans do it to our team. If the record book recognizes an accomplishment where does any fan get off ignoring it? That's some grade school level BS, 'It doesn't count cause I said so.' Couldn't a Niners fan just as easily point to Edelman's PED suspension and discount his accomplishments by saying he used throughout his career and just finally got caught this year?

Yeah it was an absolute douche move by Rice to call out someone else as a cheater but his
151 catches, 2245 yds and 22 TD's are in the book and we'd be every bit as low rent as he was if we just decide they don't count. They also don't have any impact at all on what Edelman has accomplished.

I figured some would come out and defend Rice for many of the reasons you listed. As for the record books, I'm a proponent of viewing the world as I wish, not as someone else suggested I should. If I feel that Rice excluded himself based on his admittance and his hypocritical comments about the Pats, then that's the way it is. Not BS, just my opinion.

I'm a proponent of viewing the world as I wish, not as someone else suggested I should.

Forgive me, I was unaware the record book was displaying someone's suggestions. :rolleyes:

Jules is in the top 10.

Rice is #1

Somewhere in the remaining 9 is Jules, Belitnikoff, Monk, Irvin, Branches, Gronk needs to be there and so does Casper. Hate to say it but Shannon Sharpe was excellent in the playoffs.

Crossing Rice off the list? In what world? The guy is the standard in which all receivers are compared. Not to mention that Jules was suspended for PED use, which you don't address. Jules is clutch, and his catch vs Atlanta is arguably the Greatest Catch in Super Bowl History. (note the caps) He's been money in the post season, and he has played great when the pressure is highest and the lights are brightest. But I would not put him in the same class as Rice and Irvin. If those guys played with Brady?? Think of it.

I hate the Raiders but Cliff Branch not being in the HOF while they put both Swann and Stallworth in is BS. His regular season numbers are better than Swann and even with Stallworth and he was better in the postseason than either.

Julian is a tough blocker that I think rarely is considered in discussions about receivers (understandably so). I can't remember Rice being much of a blocker, but that was a bit ago and my memory is a bit hazy. Anyone remember Rice's blocking ability/desire?

Rice easily, but that Edelman is in the discussion for the slots behind him is a feat in itself. Not bad for the converted QB who had to wait a while for Welker to move on before getting a genuine chance to shine.

Regards,
Chris

The difference is that Edelman didn’t self-righteously go around saying how horrible PEDs are and how anyone using them is a dirty, rotten cheat, and then get popped for using them.

Screw Rice. He cheated according to the rules of time, and cheated a lot more blatantly and to greater advantage than NE would have even if Framegate were true. By his own on the record words he’s unworthy to be considered for any of this. Screw him.

Last edited:
The difference is that Edelman didn’t self-righteously go around saying how horrible PEDs are and how anyone using them is a dirty, rotten cheat, and then get popped for using them.

Screw Rice. He cheated according to the rules of time, and cheated a lot more blatantly and to greater advantage than NE would have even if Framegate were true. By his own on the records words he’s unworthy to be considered for any of this. Screw him.

I didn't have a problem with Rice until he undermined what the Patriots had done, yet said he used an illegal product to help him catch the ball better for his entire career. I know he's cherished by most, and didn't get the negative media coverage that the Patriots did for some nonsense. He's basically bulletproof. If he hadn't stated how the Patriots were cheating to win games, then I'd have no problem with it. Being a massive hypocrite on a public forum gets him the axe in my book. Everyone else can love him, forgive him, whatever. I don't mind being the outlier. JE11 paid for his PED use during his rehab. Rice's admittance basically got shelved without a second thought. Interesting how the mob thinks sometimes-the Rice admittance was a non-story. Too much yesterdays news I guess.

I love Edelman, but he’s not Rice. Kind of tough to call Rice out for using stickum when Edelman just got popped for steroids.

I have said this several times in the past about competitors and I've heard others express the same opinion (as well as the opposite), but I've never, ever minded a professional taking steroids/HGH etc to recover from an injury. Especially/or only during a timewhen they are not playing.

Ideally I would like it to be legal and under the supervision of a doctor.

Stallworth is 12th, Swann 19th.

I realize that today's receivers will rack up yards a bit easier than in previous years. It's hard to account for the way the game has changed, making stats a contributor, but not the end all in discussions. The Steelers' receivers surely belong in any conversation about best playoff performers.
Stallworth 18 games -57 catches for 1054 yds and 12 TD
Swann 16 games-48 catches for 907 yds and 9 TD

I think Edelman will be remembered for being clutch and tough as nails. On the all time playoff list who knows. It’s tough to compare numbers from guys in the last 20 years to guys from other eras. The game is a lot different now.
But Edelman was punished. #ComparisonFail

Edelman may not even be the greatest Patriots postseason receiver, let alone the greatest playoff receiver ever. A case could be made for Amendola, Branch, & Gronk. Unless Gronk is in a different category because he's a TE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes