PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh Uche = Beast

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
He's beginning to have an impact.....they're obviously not comfortable putting him in coverage yet

He's faster than I thought

I agree....which makes the coverage thing even more strange......I mean they're comfortable dropping Bentley into coverage

Looks like he definitely has some pass rushing skills already. So far this draft class is showing some real progress with Owenu already looking like he could be a starter, Duggar looks to be good against the run and still working in pass coverage, and Herron looks like he could at worst be a swing tackle. If either of the TE's pan out this class could be one to really jump start the rebuild.

I do not think the lack of pass coverage is a "run speed" thing. Seems like Winovich just started covering this year? I think they simplify the defense for him by introducing one thing at a time, starting with his strength at pass rush, then set the edge, and finally drop back as a LB and cover. I think the Pats coaches do not want to overload his mind because then he will play slower.

He’s been solid in the limited role he’s been used in. Jennings as well. I wouldn’t be worried about him in coverage just yet. He will get there. Coverage assignments for LBs in this system are tough. But, as a pass rusher, he should be on the field every third down. Between he and Wino, we should be set on bookend edge rushers for a while.

I would think his lack of playing time has more to do with them not being ready to trust him against the run. Once he puts it all together and hopefully stays healthy, he can be a force!

He’s been solid in the limited role he’s been used in. Jennings as well. I wouldn’t be worried about him in coverage just yet. He will get there. Coverage assignments for LBs in this system are tough. But, as a pass rusher, he should be on the field every third down. Between he and Wino, we should be set on bookend edge rushers for a while.

Jennings too. Good point. Great draft. Just need a TE or two :oops:

I forget which mediot said this recently: "Uche is being used as a QB spy"

He certainly has the wheels to track the league's growing fleet of mobile QBs

In time, it only makes sense that Uche will be given greater responsibility which will likely include pass coverage. Keep in mind, Uche did not get a lot of college snaps.

Uche Momma

My hope is that Duggar, Jennings, Uche all benefit greatly from increased snaps and that - combined with (hopefully) a good summer 2021 - all three will be ready to assume major contributions next season. Would be fantastic to have all three, along with Wino, be 4/11 of an up and coming D.

I really like what we have going with Duggar and Uche particularly.... Definitely seem to be dynamic players.

Jackson/Butler/Uche/Jennings/Duggar/Bentley is a solid core to build around. Hall has been decent as well, had to look him up last week had no idea who he was!

I really like what we have going with Duggar and Uche particularly.... Definitely seem to be dynamic players.

Jackson/Butler/Uche/Jennings/Duggar/Bentley is a solid core to build around. Hall has been decent as well, had to look him up last week had no idea who he was!
I see Dugger as a better version of Chung. Our system is 5 DBs 2 DTs and a 4 man combination of de/lb.

I can see Uche, Winovich and Jennings becoming 3/4 of that 4 man group. They have versatility in common with the group that made it work best with Hightower Vannoy and Collins.

The emergence of Uche will finally get Simon off the damn field. It's nice to see someone actually get upfield.

The emergence of Uche will finally get Simon off the damn field. It's nice to see someone actually get upfield.
They are different players who play different roles.

I see Dugger as a better version of Chung. Our system is 5 DBs 2 DTs and a 4 man combination of de/lb.

I can see Uche, Winovich and Jennings becoming 3/4 of that 4 man group. They have versatility in common with the group that made it work best with Hightower Vannoy and Collins.
Is the Dugger - Chung comparison a future projection or your assessment of current play? Because Chung at his peak was able to neutralize tight ends in coverage, which I haven't seen Dugger do much of yet. Maybe he covered well against the Chargers but he definitely didn't against Houston.

Is the Dugger - Chung comparison a future projection or your assessment of current play? Because Chung at his peak was able to neutralize tight ends in coverage, which I haven't seen Dugger do much of yet. Maybe he covered well against the Chargers but he definitely didn't against Houston.

Exactly. Chung is a 3 time champion and one of the most important pieces in the Patriot defense for 8 years. He has more rings than Rodney. I like Dugger but let's keep things in perspective.

I’m talking about the role. Of course the role changes based upon the strengths and weaknesses of the individual but i see dugger bring both the hybrid lb/s and straight S.
I don’t agree that Chung ever neutralized TEs in man coverage, BB was good at not putting him in that position. I’d have to go back and watch the tape to comment on the TE coverage vs Houston but my memory is not that dugger was picked on.
Dugger is still growing into his full eventual role.

Dude's awesome...just like fellow rookies Uncle Dugg, JaWrong Bentley's slightly younger brother Jennings, and of course those fabulous TEs...

Chess v Checkers...

Dude's awesome...just like fellow rookies Uncle Dugg, JaWrong Bentley's slightly younger brother Jennings, and of course those fabulous TEs...

Chess v Checkers...
Cool nicknames...:rolleyes:

Can someone who knows more than me tell me about Jennings? I havent noticed him at all is he any good? do we have something with him or is he a future depth piece

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back