Jones tender

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

everlong

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Per Reiss.

Patriots cornerback Jonathan Jones, who played a key role in helping cover Tyreek Hill in the AFC Championship Game and then was a critical chess piece in Super Bowl LIII as a hybrid corner/safety, can expect a big pay bump in 2019. As a restricted free agent, he will be tendered either at the low level ($2 million) or second-round level ($3.1 million) after making a base salary of $630,000 in 2018. From a team standpoint, there is risk in tendering Jones at the low level, because another club could then sign him to an offer sheet and New England would risk losing Jones without receiving any draft-pick compensation in return (because Jones entered the NFL as an undrafted player) if it didn't match the offer.

Hopefully they're able to lock him up in a 4 year deal but I'd offer him the 2nd round tender. I think 4 years at 12M-ish.

Jones has a career passer rating in the 80s when targeted & is top 5 in ST snaps every season. Your typical middle class 4 down patriot who was missed in SB52. He’d get signed away on the low level tender but he should get the 2nd round designation.

Hopefully they're able to lock him up in a 4 year deal but I'd offer him the 2nd round tender. I think 4 years at 12M-ish.

Unless he gets injured I think he will be gone after next year. Essentially think of Logan Ryan. If Jones continues on this trajectory he will be paid in FA far beyond what we give out. Additionally the pipeline behind him is all fine with Dawson, JCJ, Crossen and whatever UDFA they pick up this year.

Unless he gets injured I think he will be gone after next year. Essentially think of Logan Ryan. If Jones continues on this trajectory he will be paid in FA far beyond what we give out. Additionally the pipeline behind him is all fine with Dawson, JCJ, Crossen and whatever UDFA they pick up this year.

That's why I'm hoping they can get a 4 year deal done. Jones has the best top end speed of anybody on this list which given you're going up against the Chiefs and Hill for the rest of Brady's career barring injuries I hope they get something done.

Jones has a career passer rating in the 80s when targeted & is top 5 in ST snaps every season. Your typical middle class 4 down patriot who was missed in SB52. He’d get signed away on the low level tender but he should get the 2nd round designation.

So, you give the choice of $3.1M guaranteed for 2019 or a four year deal where he get $3M a year. Jones would have to think very little of himself to take deal for 4/$12M, unless there were lost of incentives, including roster and playing time.

Last edited:
Love me some Jones. Want to see him locked up for a few years.

We have the Duke wouldn't mind a Another Second Rounder that would be Three. We have some holes to fill plus plus we need to get younger in certain areas.

Jones & Foster were binkys of mine. Very happy for JJ. One of those times I was really scratching my head when he wasn't drafted. Anyway I hope he balls out & gets paid. Either way its good for us.

Also 2016 is looking like another really good New England-type draft.
Thuney was our most consistent & arguably our best OL'm this year.

Thuney

JJ

Roberts

LeBlanc

JB

MM

KGH

Cyrus

Karras

VV

Not bad at all

Logan was a starting outside corner, which I don't think J Jones will be, at least here.

He's more of a slot, nickle back. IMO think a faster Kyle Arrington.

I'm not sure Jones would accept that. He seems like a confident baller who knows he can get a good deal when he's unrestricted. I think he plays out the 2nd round tender (don't think anybody will match) and then he departs next year as a UDFA.

I'm not sure Jones would accept that. He seems like a confident baller who knows he can get a good deal when he's unrestricted. I think he plays out the 2nd round tender (don't think anybody will match) and then he departs next year as a UDFA.
Throw some good incentives into the multi year deal, sweeten it and make it harder for him to spurn it. NLTBE for cap purposes but within his ability to achieve if he stays healthy and plays to his abilities.

We have duke and Crossen. Plus B.B. can find defensive backs anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back