SOURCE:NBC Sports Boston

SOURCE:Providence Journal

SOURCE:Boston Herald

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: N/A

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

John Wick movies

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Tunescribe, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +35,764
    I've caught bits and pieces of all three John Wick films on cable; now I need to see them beginning to end to fully grasp the storyline. They have some of the best-choreographed fight scenes ever, but it's also over-the-top silly in a video game sort of way. Apparently a fourth installment will arrive in 2021. I'm curious what others here think about these films.

2. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15,897
    Yes. I agree. The 3rd installment began what is a rather convoluted story. But I suppose that was so there would be further installments. I enjoyed the first 2 immensely in a mindless manner. Reeves is a likable anti-hero.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ice_Ice_Brady PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29,258
    That sounds like the most Matrix thing ever. Which actor is playing the lead? :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. venecol

venecol The FRG has a little **** PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7,335
    They are getting more and more ridiculous. The first one was good. Second was more of the same, fantastical. The last one was, like you said, video gamish.

Unfortunately for me, I like Neo and will continue to watch them. Mindless entertainment.

5. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +7,105
    Liked the first two. This last one was ok but its getting a little stale trying to keep believing the worlds best assassins can’t hit the side of a barn with a pistol. 299 kills for Mr Wick.

6. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +35,764
    The Matrix trilogy is one of my all-time faves and a NEW Matrix entry is in the works with Reeves. Interesting how they've reunited Lawrence Fishburne with Reeves in John Wick.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ice_Ice_Brady PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29,258
    Wait, he’s in it too!?!? Who does Carrie-Anne Moss play in the John Wick series?

8. Clonamery

Ratings:
    +15,897
    The dog.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +35,764
    She's not in it but Bridget Moynihan is, which almost is the same woman. Moss will be in the upcoming new Matrix.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. robertweathers

robertweathers PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +79,389
    I like them. Pretty entertaining. Looking forward to JW 4

11. robertweathers

robertweathers PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +79,389
    I've always had a little crush on Moss

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. borg

borg PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7,986
    JW3: The hallway knife fight scene and the attack dog scene are two of the most original fight scenes I’ve ever seen in a movie. Worth the price of admission just to watch these 10 minutes of action.

PS: Saw “1917” the other day and it is brilliant.
    I’m a sucker for extended scene/1 camera/ no editing - one shot filmmaking that Scorcese often leans on (remember Henry entering into the Copa through the basement kitchen in Goodfellas). Tarantino’s best scenes utilize this technique (opening farmhouse scene in Inglorious Bastards). The tension and anxiety a director can create using the one shot technique is the most authentic and true to life, IMO.
    “Birdman” is another favorite of mine because it’s use of extended one shot film making places so much burden on the actors who can’t rely on editing room magic to enhance their performance.
    “1917” takes this technique to a whole other level. Imagine filming a continuous 2 hour story in a war setting with one camera angle and no discernible editing whatsoever. The choreography necessary to pull off such a feat in a war movie continues to blow my mind. For two hours the audience shares the anxiety of the main character seemingly uninterrupted.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  13. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +35,764
    The movie had some really goofy parts, though -- the scene where the two Japanese guys have Wick dead to rights but stop to compliment him and help him up, then he proceeds to kill both of them. And at the end where he skewers the guy on a sword, who then sits up and wants to continue fighting -- that was Monty Python-esque. But I thought the best scene of all was when Wick was shot by Winston and fell several stories to the street below, that fall looked real as hell. Of course, no mortal would survive that.

I know a lot of the action in the Wick movies is smoke-and-mirrors choreography, but Reeves is impressively spry at 55 years old. Heck, Halle Berry is 53 for that matter.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  14. borg

Ratings:
    +7,986
    Reeves and the Wick creators certainly tapped into something that most martial arts/killing rampage films never find.
    My wife deplores senseless violent movies....yet she has been the one to drag me to the theater to see the next John Wick.
    It all starts with the dog. (being serious)

It helps Reeves doesn’t have much dialogue.
    He’s not a poser ( Smile Tom Cruise)
    He’s also not an insufferable douche celebrity.
    And his finishing head shots are so second natured

The “Continental” inclusion is incredibly creative and scenes like Wick having a “tasting” with the Sommelier in Italy... “Give me something robust” ...... brilliant.

Campy, stylish, creative, quirky.......original .....so far.

And yes.... absolutely incredible that 50 something Keanu is kicking ass and burying high volumes at his elevated age. TB12 has nothing on Bohdi.

15. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +35,764
    Agreed about Reeves, he has real artistic integrity.

I feel it would improve the franchise if they scaled back the video-game aspect of killing dozens without suffering a scratch, as in the big courtyard fight that included Halle Berry. That was way, way over the top to where you start viewing the action as a dance routine vs. combat with a genuine sense of danger/risk: It would help to at least "try" making things a bit more realistic.

You can trace roots for this genre back to the Eastwood spaghetti Westerns, Bond films and of course the Bruce Lee-spawned chopsocky craze of the early '70s carried forward by Jackie Chan, etc. The development here, along with brilliant choreography, is seamless incorporation of CGI. Also intriguing underlying mythology in the storyline, as you point out.

Interesting about your wife. I think I'll try introducing mine to this series -- she's an avowed dog lover who probably will cry over that part of the first movie.

16. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Florida Man PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +54,746
    How brutal is the killing of the dog in the first movie? That’s why I’ve stayed away from them. I guess I’d rather see humans get slaughtered in movies than dogs.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Clonamery

Ratings:
    +15,897
    We already knew that about you.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +35,764
    Stayed away from dogs, or the John Wick movies? :confused: If you haven't seen it, the dog killing in the first movie isn't explicit (heard, but not seen except for the body afterward).

19. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Florida Man PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +54,746
    The movie. I have 3 dogs. I can’t escape them.

20. borg

Ratings:
    +7,986
    Wick gets patched up... and a doctor died because he didn’t respect the contract