PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jimmy GQ officially staying in SF per Schefter

2 Belichicks time is running out to win another ring. Jimmy is better insurance than Hoyer or Zappe.
Laughable… Jimmy G played at Eastern Illinois, but your small school bias doesn’t extend to players who have already shown a little something in the NFL. You don’t know dck about what Zappe can do, zero, nothing… stop pretending.

Now is not the time to bail off the Belichick bandwagon after decades of complaining about the fans criticizing Belichicks drafting.

Buckle up,

Why would I bail on Belichick? He’s the greatest Coach/GM in the history of the game. I don’t agree with everything he does but no one else comes close to his achievements. As far as fans criticizing his drafting goes they were wrong the past 20 years, as his record clearly demonstrates, but they don’t recognize it because they only look at it from the narrowest of perspectives, the truth is that every franchise makes good and bad draft picks, and the hit ratio is low for all teams. And it’s been pointed out repeatedly that the long term studies on NFL drafting had NE and Baltimore as the two best franchises at it. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t have his share of misses, he obviously does, it just means that’s he’s been able to draft well enough to win far more than any other coach/GM. But feel free to show which GM has won more? Does he suck at drafting WR’s, yep, and he’s had his share of misses in the second round as well, but he’s also had big hits, like Gronk. I know you want to pretend you were right in saying that you could do a better job running the Patriots than Belichick, but the truth is that you were wrong about it for two decades, and always will be. Building a championship caliber team in the NFL takes time, and a ****load of work, and that’s the process they are in right now, we will see how it works out? You thought Mac Jones was a bad pick, and he ended up being the best rookie QB in his class in his rookie season, and once again we will see whether he continues to grow and get better? My money is on Belichick and Jones, just as it was on Belichick and Brady, we will see how that goes over the next 4 years or so?

Laughable… Jimmy G played at Eastern Illinois, but your small school bias doesn’t extend to players who have already shown a little something in the NFL. You don’t know dck about what Zappe can do, zero, nothing… stop pretending.

No one on this site has been more wrong about Belichick and the Patriots than Triumph. He talked sh.t about him year after year after year after year and then jumped on the bandwagon when they ended up winning year after year after year after year. He is simply repeating his schtick now that Jones is the QB. As the saying goes even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then, unfortunately in Triumph’s case that means he starved to death about 18 years ago. He can take credit for being consistent though, if being consistently wrong counts for anything.

How does he know that? It is more likely he knows the Patriots are committed to Jones.
Kraft is not committed. He stated that he needs to see more from Jones.

Jones is at a crossroads in year 2.
Basically you are asking him to take less money than he is worth to go to a team with an established starter and hope that that starter performs poorly or gets injured.
Established starter Jones is not. He leaned heavily on the run and defense last year. Lots of rookies have good first seasons and struggle in year 2 after the other 31 teams have had all off season to breakdown film. Winning determines your fate. The NFL is overflowing with QBs who looked great and then the wheels came off after the NFL figured them out.
Why in the world would he do that??
Jones is not locked in if he loses.

BB will do whats best for the team. Always has.
The very notion is patently absurd. I said it 5 years ago and I guess I have to say it again today.
Not really if the asking price is reasonable.
It's funny that you think that. If he is willing to be a backup, there are several other teams with better chances than NE.
You people act like Jones is Mahomes and cant lose his job.
He's also about 10 times more expensive as Hoyer or Zappe.
The Pats season is over if either of these cheap QBs have to start.

Question is are the Pats a stronger team with Jimmy at # 2?

Gotta say yes.
If the team is looking to establish Mac as the future, I don't think adding JG will make the overall team better. This is collecting talent vs building a team situation. While JG clearly has more talent than Hoyer, I don't see him making the team better once you account for the salary cap impact and potential impact to Mac's development. Why invest a lot in a role that hopefully never sees the field for any meaningful snaps?

Right now Brian Hoyer has a cap hit of like $1.7m or around there. There's no way, even if he's cut, that Jimmy is signing a deal that results in a hit that low. Which means the Patriots (who already have to make more room for the usual in season business), would now have to make MORE cap moves to fit JG in as a backup QB.

This means either cutting players, or pushing cap into future years and running into the same problem again next year or the year after. And that's nothing to say of the respect Hoyer seems to have on the team, which lends to him being a better mentor for Jones. I just don't think the benefits of Jimmy as a backup really outweigh the costs in this case.

Kraft is not committed. He stated that he needs to see more from Jones.

Jones is at a crossroads in year 2.

Established starter Jones is not.
Yes he is. He had a great rookie season and is the established starter of this team.
He leaned heavily on the run and defense last year. Lots of rookies have good first seasons and struggle in year 2 after the other 31 teams have had all off season to breakdown film. Winning determines your fate. The NFL is overflowing with QBs who looked great and then the wheels came off after the NFL figured them out.

Jones is not locked in if he loses.

BB will do whats best for the team. Always has.
Right. And what’s best for the team is not to sign a $20 million backup QB.
Not really if the asking price is reasonable.

You people act like Jones is Mahomes and cant lose his job.

The Pats season is over if either of these cheap QBs have to start.
You still fail to address my central point. Why in the world would Garoppolo take less money to be a backup than he would get elsewhere where he would be a starter?

Last edited:
If the team is looking to establish Mac as the future, I don't think adding JG will make the overall team better. This is collecting talent vs building a team situation. While JG clearly has more talent than Hoyer, I don't see him making the team better once you account for the salary cap impact and potential impact to Mac's development. Why invest a lot in a role that hopefully never sees the field for any meaningful snaps?
1 Jimmy is finally available. SF has to move him or eat his salary.

2 If the rumors are true, BB has been trying to get Jimmy back since Brady left. There is also the rumor that Brady went to Kraft to get Jimmy gone.

3 Im not an ardent Jimmy fan, but truthfully he has gone out there at times and played fantastic and he has been to the Super Bowl. If youre looking for a Mentor for Jones, I dont see better options.

4 Jimmy creates serious competition and pushes Jones. Presently, Jones has no worries and would really have to screw up for Hoyer to take over. If BB thought Hoyer was good enough there is no rush to press Jones into action. Hoyer was passed over like Fredo Corleone.

5 Jimmy absolutely gives the Pats a better chance to win if the unmentionable happens. Nobody is getting younger including Jimmy.

6 The Pats are installing elements of the 49ers offense.

Yes he is. He had a great rookie season and is the established starter of this team.
Right now he is.

Whether Jones remains is up to his performance.
Right. And what’s best for the team is not to sign a $20 million backup QB.
He would not cost that much.
You still fail to address my central point. Why in the world would Garoppolo take less money to be a backup than he would get elsewhere where he would be a starter?
Because BB is a straight shooter.

1 Jimmy is finally available. SF has to move him or eat his salary.
I think it is generally agreed that Garoppolo will be available one way or another. That is not the issue here.
2 If the rumors are true, BB has been trying to get Jimmy back since Brady left. There is also the rumor that Brady went to Kraft to get Jimmy gone.
If the rumors are true, those efforts completely ended once he drafted a starting caliber QB.
3 Im not an ardent Jimmy fan, but truthfully he has gone out there at times and played fantastic and he has been to the Super Bowl.
Jimmy Garoppolo's best season is very comparable to Mac Jones' rookie season - and that was with far superior receivers.
If youre looking for a Mentor for Jones, I dont see better options.
Garoppolo would be an atrocious mentor for Jones. You don't want a mentor to be someone who is fighting you for your job. Garoppolo probably wouldn't even play that role.

If it is a mentor you want, they already have a far better one: Brian Hoyer. He knows the Patriots system and he knows he is a backup QB. He is practically already a QB Coach.
4 Jimmy creates serious competition and pushes Jones.
Mac Jones has proven he needs no pushing. He has already worked his ass off this past offseason.
5 Jimmy absolutely gives the Pats a better chance to win if the unmentionable happens. Nobody is getting younger including Jimmy.
So like I said... you want Jimmy to go somewhere where he has to hope the starter gets injured. Why in the world would he do that??
6 The Pats are installing elements of the 49ers offense.
Unless they install Deebo Samuel and/or George Kittle, this statement is completely meaningless.
Whether Jones remains is up to his performance.
You just described every single player on the team. There is no reason to simply assume that is going to happen with Jones.
He would not cost that much.
I have asked you many times to tell us what you think he would cost, and you have consistently dodged the question. Therefore we will use my number since I am the only one who gave one.
Because BB is a straight shooter.
LOL!! Yeah... ok... sure.... Garoppolo is going to sacrifice millions and millions of dollars, not to mention the chance to be a starter, all because "BB is a straight shooter".... LOLOLOL

I simply cannot believe I am making the exact same statements I made 5 years ago about the same QB. I was right then and I am right now.

Triumph wants Garrapolo because he wants him to take over the job so he can say he was right about Jones sucking. The bottom line is that it’s more important to him to be right than for the Patriots to succeed with Jones. He has always been this way, and always will be.

Then he should've acquired him after the 2020 season when he actually had the cap room.
SF evidently wanted too much in compensation so they kept Jimmy.
I'm still not buying it.
My sister works in Boston and water cooler talk was that Jimmy was boasting that the Pats were his team now.

Bottom line is that BB is not going to be the highest bidder for Jimmy. So, its all riding on Jones and I hope it works out. Buffalo is 11 - 1 vs the AFCE over the last 2 seasons. Josh Allen is King of the division now. If you cant run with him stay on the porch.

Triumph wants Garrapolo because he wants him to take over the job so he can say he was right about Jones sucking. The bottom line is that it’s more important to him to be right than for the Patriots to succeed with Jones. He has always been this way, and always will be.

You can laugh all you want Triumph but those who have posted here for years know it’s true. Paying for a high priced back up makes no sense, and you know that, but what you really want is for them to bring Garrapolo in and have him get the starting job, just so you can say Kines was a bust, and Belichick wasted a first round pick in him.

4 Jimmy creates serious competition and pushes Jones.
How could that be when the 49ers are ready to ditch him for a guy who barely played last year where Jones was in the conversation for rookie of the year? As much as I think Jimmy is a JAG, he somehow has been has been on a team that has gone to the NFCG and Super Bowl in the years he’s been healthy. He’s also 31-15 as a starter with the 9ers. It’s really bizarre.

Jimmy is going to traded to a team that needs a starting QB.

You can laugh all you want Triumph but those who have posted here for years know it’s true. Paying for a high priced back up makes no sense, and you know that, but what you really want is for them to bring Garrapolo in and have him get the starting job, just so you can say Kines was a bust, and Belichick wasted a first round pick in him.
I gotta admit I'm not following the Pats as closely as I did in the past but I don't remember the Kines 1st round pick.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back