PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jimmy GQ officially staying in SF per Schefter

The contract would obviously be reworked.

At this point I believe Kraft would go all in to win another banner.
Will JG guarantee another banner? I don't think so. Not as backup and I don't think as starter of the Pats.

At this point I believe Kraft would go all in to win another banner.
I believe Kraft would spend to taste another but is there enough to buy and money to be had to accomplish the task?

I would be very interested in how you feel they can rework his contract in order to make him an affordable backup QB.

I heard the fans were very vocal and outraged about the idea of drafting Jones. Most of them didn't like the idea because they wanted an athletic QB like Lance or Fields over Jones. The reports are the front office were influenced in part by the fan reaction.

But I always thought it was stupid for them to trade up that high and that early unless they were absolutely in love with someone. Knowing who the top two picks were going to be meant they knew every single player that was going to be available. If they weren't in love at that point with any of the three remaining QBs (or another player), they should have waited until they made up their mind who they were in love with and if they never fell in love with any of them then they should have waited til draft day and drafted the one that slid to them or strategically traded up as the draft progressed and players came off the board. They used three first rounders for Lance and he might have actually fallen to them at the 12 spot if they didn't make the trade.
Yep, I remember that as well.

NFL contracts are renegotiated between the buying team and selling team frequently.

BB has been trying to get Jimmy back ever since he left. If Jimmy came back, It would not mean a thing about Jones either. All the Pats are doing is taking a flyer on a possible upgraded at back up QB. Hoyer was brutal when he finally got his chance to play and its doubtful that he could win a game. At least Jimmy could win a game now and then.

Bledsoe had Brady pushing him
Brady had Cassel and Jimmy pushing him.
Jones has nobody. Hoyer isnt a serious contender and Zappa is green.
I am always for competition at any position. If they get him on the cheap I am all in. Otherwise I would like to upgrade multiple positions of need. Hoyer also serves as a mentor to Mac. But JG is the better QB

I will laugh so so hard if Trey Lance sucks and the 49ers co.cked up their entire franchise for a decade.

Will JG guarantee another banner? I don't think so. Not as backup and I don't think as starter of the Pats.
Hoyer sure doesnt.

First he has to make through a complete Patriot game.

I would be very interested in how you feel they can rework his contract in order to make him an affordable backup QB.
Jones is not making much money.

Its not uncommon for the 2nd string QB making more money than the #1 QB in a season.

I will laugh so so hard if Trey Lance sucks and the 49ers co.cked up their entire franchise for a decade.
Trading up as early as they did was really bizarre. Because Shanahan’s offense is QB friendly, I would be shocked if Lance isn’t somewhat successful. My eyes will be on all QB’s drafted in 2021 again this season as I’d love to see Mac Jones outplay them all again. And can Mac please beat Tua this year?

Maybe shanahan should try and trade jimmy to the colts for mat ryan.

Question is are the Pats a stronger team with Jimmy at # 2?

Gotta say yes.
If they were a super bowl contender that would be true, but they aren’t, they are at least two years away, unless Jones turns into a top 4-5 QB. But given their state of development, and the type of system they will likely use I would rather have Zappe, as his play is similar to the Brees, and at a far lower cost than Jimmy G. I think they have to build to a true Lombardi threat before investing that kind of capital in back up QB.

Jones is not making much money.
That's irrelevant.
Its not uncommon for the 2nd string QB making more money than the #1 QB in a season.
Again, I will state that I would be very interested in how you feel they can rework his contract in order to make him an affordable backup QB.

Keep in mind that according to Miguel, NE has about $1.4 million in cap space.

If they were a super bowl contender that would be true, but they aren’t, they are at least two years away, unless Jones turns into a top 4-5 QB. But given their state of development, and the type of system they will likely use I would rather have Zappe, as his play is similar to the Brees, and at a far lower cost than Jimmy G. I think they have to build to a true Lombardi threat before investing that kind of capital in back up QB.
Now is not the time to bail off the Belichick bandwagon after decades of complaining about the fans criticizing Belichicks drafting.

Buckle up,

That's irrelevant.

Its not.

Jones is in a prove it season. If he plays good the Pats will be forced to pay him more.
Again, I will state that I would be very interested in how you feel they can rework his contract in order to make him an affordable backup QB.

Keep in mind that according to Miguel, NE has about $1.4 million in cap space.
Cap space is created all the time.

Yes it is.
Nope.

If Jimmy made more money there is no conflict because Jones hasnt earned his yet.

The Patriots can control his salary 4 more years, and that's before franchise tagging him.
Paying Jones MORE is controlling his salary.
So you don't have an answer. Got it.
The answer is obvious.

Convert salary into signing bonus and extensions. Jonnu, Henry, Wynn, Agahlor all make at least 9 million in salary.

Nope.

If Jimmy made more money there is no conflict because Jones hasnt earned his yet.
You're still missing the point. Jones' salary is irrelevant because Belichick is not going to give his backup QB a huge deal no matter what Jones is making. Belichick will not say "we've got Jones for cheap dollars so I am going to overspend on his backup."
Paying Jones MORE is controlling his salary.

The answer is obvious.

Convert salary into signing bonus and extensions. Jonnu, Henry, Wynn, Agahlor all make at least 9 million in salary.
I can't believe it is 2022 and I am having the same argument I had 5 years ago when people wanted Garoppolo to stay on as Brady's backup. I was right then and I am right now. The exact same fundamental problems still exist: (1) Why would Garoppolo willingly be on a team where he would not be the starter? and (2) Bill Belichick is not going to spend the millions it would cost him for a backup quarterback.

You're still missing the point. Jones' salary is irrelevant because Belichick is not going to give his backup QB a huge deal no matter what Jones is making. Belichick will not say "we've got Jones for cheap dollars so I am going to overspend on his backup."
Not really. Jones is being paid what he is worth.

If Jimmy came back and made more money there is no issue. All Jones has to do is play good and win. Like Brady did with 100 million dollar Bledsoe on the sideline. Nobody was clamoring for Bledsoe to go back in because he was paid more.
I can't believe it is 2022 and I am having the same argument I had 5 years ago when people wanted Garoppolo to stay on as Brady's backup. I was right then and I am right now. The exact same fundamental problems still exist: (1) Why would Garoppolo willingly be on a team where he would not be the starter? and (2) Bill Belichick is not going to spend the millions it would cost him for a backup quarterback.
1 Because he knows that BB will treat him right and give him a chance to take the job away from Jones. Because Jimmy is familiar with the Pats system and the organization. Because Jimmys best shot at winning a Super Bowl is with Belichick.

2 Belichicks time is running out to win another ring. Jimmy is better insurance than Hoyer or Zappe.

1 Because he knows that BB will treat him right and give him a chance to take the job away from Jones.
How does he know that? It is more likely he knows the Patriots are committed to Jones.

Basically you are asking him to take less money than he is worth to go to a team with an established starter and hope that that starter performs poorly or gets injured. Why in the world would he do that?? The very notion is patently absurd. I said it 5 years ago and I guess I have to say it again today.
Because Jimmys best shot at winning a Super Bowl is with Belichick.
It's funny that you think that. If he is willing to be a backup, there are several other teams with better chances than NE.
2 Belichicks time is running out to win another ring. Jimmy is better insurance than Hoyer or Zappe.
He's also about 10 times more expensive as Hoyer or Zappe.

Last edited:
Mac Jones cant sleep knowing a rookie Western Kentucky QB wants his job.
Like that means a damn thing, I’m sure NFL defenses sleep well at night knowing Patrick Mahomes only played for Texas Tech.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back