Not open for further replies.

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Jim Bates won't be back as defensive coordinator for the Packers. Just wondering whether BB might be interested in bringing him here if Mangini goes.

Tunescribe said:
Jim Bates won't be back as defensive coordinator for the Packers. Just wondering whether BB might be interested in bringing him here if Mangini goes.

Bates is ONE of the few veteran outside coaches I think we may be interested in bringing in.

The Dolphin players loved him when he was interim HC and wanted him hired as HC.

With all the HC openings I would think a smart team would interview him for HC.

Does he have a BB connection?

Tunescribe said:

oh heck no

I would be OK with Bates. He and BB are close. His defense in Miami was pretty good--and they only had 1/10 of the talent we have.

He was a coach on BB's staff in Cleveland.

Digger44 said:
oh heck no

Let's not say no just yet, he could actually be pretty good.

I'd like it - I think Bates is a very good coach.

scott99 said:
Let's not say no just yet, he could actually be pretty good.

He just scares the crap out of me. What has he accomplished in the NFL? I know the Miami defense was tough and there was initial improvement in Green Bay, but something just screems "no" and I cannot put my finger on it.

He was the DC for the Dolphins during those years they were good. I say yes.

Living in Wisconsin, I saw the Packer's play a lot. They have very little talent on defense, yet Bates had them playing well. I think he would be an excellent dc.

Digger44 said:
He just scares the crap out of me. What has he accomplished in the NFL? I know the Miami defense was tough and there was initial improvement in Green Bay, but something just screems "no" and I cannot put my finger on it.

There are a lot of good people in the NFL that don't get to "accomplish anything", seeing as I'm assuming you mean Super Bowls.

Going outside the current staff might lead to Dean Pees leaving, perhaps Pepper Johnson also, feeling they had been passed over. Given BB's past relationship with Bates perhaps that wouldn't be as much of an issue if it's for him.

But it's tough to know if the reason Bates hasn't rejoined BB previously is due to choice on BB's or Bates' part, or just lack of opportunity (BB not having an open position when Bates was available). Bates just changed jobs last season, but I don't know if it was early in the offseason before Romeo left, or if BB was already locked on Mangini.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back