PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets dumping vets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE39

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Per the New York Daily News:

Several high-salaried veterans could be released in the coming weeks, with wide receiver Justin McCareins, guard Pete Kendall, cornerback David Barrett and linebacker Eric Barton on the endangered list.

I don't think there is anyone there the Pats would be interested in as anything more than a training camp look-see at the minimum-level, but it is interesting the Jets are thinking about getting rid of them.

The most interesting name, IMO, is Kendall. I've always liked Kendall, who played at BC, but am not surprised he is being let go. He is too media-friendly for a lot of coaches, and isn't afraid to speak his mind. Good guy, though.

It shows, IMO, the Jets are still a team in transition. Mangini and Tannenbaum did a good job squeezing a playoff berth with a team they inherited (with special thanks to a soft schedule). However, they still need to turn over a fairly significant portion of the Jets roster to fit the program they are trying to implement.

The Jest is very much TBD in my opinion. They're a lot like the 49ers, a team that improved that has a perception that it's just a straight upward slope from here. Well let's see how the season goes. The Jest beat one team that finished over .500 and that was when they beat us in the Slop Bowl. The 49ers beat just one playoff team (twice), a banged up Seattle team.

I think the best case for SF is .500 - that's BEST CASE.
The Jest may do a little better simply by getting Miami and Buffalo twice but if they make the playoffs, they'll still be a pretender IMO.

If the Jets release Barton, I wouldn't mind the Pats seeing if he could fit in here.

If the Jets release Barton, I wouldn't mind the Pats seeing if he could fit in here.
Barton has been productive over the years and was decent last year in tackles and sacks. He has solid size and knows the defense. We could do worse for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes