PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerod Mayo's Lost Dog - RIP 'Knox'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice story Tunescribe. I love animals and it's fantastic to have the right human with the right animal.

Our neighbor was widow in her 40's. She's 80 now with the same bird, her life long companion she calls Albie. That was her husband's name. Her daughter says that bird is the incarnation of her dad. May sound creepy, but we think it's cool.

He turns 10 in August. Parrots his size live into their thirties, larger breeds can live into their eighties and beyond. His name is Tunie, I got him as a rescue nine years ago. He's the perfect kind of pet for me (or maybe vice versa) because I'm self-employed and can be with him pretty much 24/7. Parrots are EXTREMELY socially oriented and don't do well alone, or locked up in a cage all day. They need stimulation, companionship and the opportunity to fly to be healthy. So he flies all over the house following me from room to room and hangs out with me. He talks a lot too, likes watching TV (including football) and hates the Jete. I don't recommend parrots as a pet unless a person can be committed to them for decades and also spend a LOT of time with them, as they're high-maintenance. But I consider this little guy worth it.

I forgot to mention that just like dogs, parrots need to chew things (that's how they get their food in the wild). He has ruined some of my wife's shoes, but I blame that on her for leaving 'em where he can get at them.

Sounds like a keeper. Some parrots make good burglar alarms too.

My sister had one (passed away 2 years ago - caught a cold and didn't survive), a rescued scarlet macaw (deformed beak from birth) that she had for about 35 years that was estimated at 25 when she got him.

Nice story Tunescribe. I love animals and it's fantastic to have the right human with the right animal.

Our neighbor was widow in her 40's. She's 80 now with the same bird, her life long companion she calls Albie. That was her husband's name. Her daughter says that bird is the incarnation of her dad. May sound creepy, but we think it's cool.
I volunteered at a shelter years ago that had hundreds of parrots; it was amazing to hear the stuff coming out of them from previous owners. African Gray parrots are especially clear mimics that can sound EXACTLY like the sounds they've memorized from humans and their surroundings -- belches, farts, lyrics from songs. etc. I remember one bird sounded like a tape recording of a woman crying, his owner must've gone through some hard times.

My bird says a lot of words, some broken sentences. He understands a lot of what I say to him. They're very intelligent, on a par with dolphins and the great apes in cognition.

Did they find it?

I volunteered at a shelter years ago that had hundreds of parrots; it was amazing to hear the stuff coming out of them from previous owners. African Gray parrots are especially clear mimics that can sound EXACTLY like the sounds they've memorized from humans and their surroundings -- belches, farts, lyrics from songs. etc. I remember one bird sounded like a tape recording of a woman crying, his owner must've gone through some hard times.

My bird says a lot of words, some broken sentences. He understands a lot of what I say to him. They're very intelligent, on a par with dolphins and the great apes in cognition.
A parrot in my household would be mimicking farts all the time.

A parrot in my household would be mimicking farts all the time.
My sister had a Hill Mynah bird that mimicked squeaky cupboard doors and a flushing toilet ... was :p.
We tried to teach it farts but Stormy did what Stormy wanted.

Sounds like a keeper. Some parrots make good burglar alarms too.

My sister had one (passed away 2 years ago - caught a cold and didn't survive), a rescued scarlet macaw (deformed beak from birth) that she had for about 35 years that was estimated at 25 when she got him.

So the bird might have lived 60 years? That’s incredible.

My sister had a Hill Mynah bird that mimicked squeaky cupboard doors and a flushing toilet ... was :p.
We tried to teach it farts but Stormy did what Stormy wanted.

I had a Mynah bird when I was younger. It died suddenly unfortunately but it was a great pet. It would fly around the house and hang out wherever I was. Very cool bird.

One of the things it used to say was , "boy am I hungry" which used to crack me and anyone else up when he said it. I had a friend babysit him once and he called to ask, "Is he just saying he's hungry or is he really hungry?" haha . Good times.

Not at all, some parrot breeds live into their nineties.

Well I guess that’s what I’m saying...that’s also sort of mind blowing. I wonder what it is about them biologically that leads to that lifespan?

Well I guess that’s what I’m saying...that’s also sort of mind blowing. I wonder what it is about them biologically that leads to that lifespan?
Low stress jobs and lifestyles. Plus not a lot of parrots are smokers and drinkers.

Since we are talking about our pets, let me introduce Bruschi. He turned 1 in March and already owns the neighbourhood (in his mind).

I’m from Vancouver, Canada so I get a lot of strange looks when I tell people his name. The usual reply is “cute, you named him after beer” which I respond “no, he’s named after a football player who played like a ferocious Bulldog”.

upload_2018-7-18_9-8-7.jpeg

100% that trainer is involved. “A tad shady” is being very kind. Both she and her husband sound like scumbags. Let’s keep hope alive that they track him down. Suprised that he doesn’t have a GPS chip.

Suprised that he doesn’t have a GPS chip.
I don’t think that’s a thing, is it?

There are GPS trackers that you can attach to your dog’s collar, which usually require some type of monthly monitoring fee, and there are microchips that are implanted under the skin to help identify the dog if taken to a local vet’s office, but to my knowledge, there isn’t a combination of the two.

If someone intentionally stole a dog, they’d simply remove the tag or device from the collar and throw it out of the window.

My 10 year old rescue is named "Tedy B"....

Jerod Mayo's dog, Knox, found in trainer's apartment | Boston.com

This is just f-ed up.

Former Patriots linebacker Jerod Mayo calls the actions of dog trainer Amelia Ferriera “disgusting and inhumane,” after the Rhode Island Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RISPCA) found the dead body of Mayo’s five-year-old English bulldog, Knox, in Ferriera’s Cranston apartment.

“Unfortunately, the answers we prayed for regarding Knox aren’t ones we were ready to face,” Mayo and his wife, Chantel, wrote on Instagram Monday. “Knox has passed and his BODY WAS FOUND IN THE HOME OF THE OFFLEASH TRAINER. It’s disgusting and inhumane that a company full of ‘dog lovers’ would hide a family pet IN A CLOSET FOR TWO MONTHS and compulsively lie and send us on a wild goose hunt and our kids on an emotional rollercoaster.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back