PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Grades out as a possible end of 2nd round selection.​

Jason Avant
WR | (6'0
1_2.gif
", 212, 4.52) | MICHIGAN

SCOUTING REPORT: [size=-1]Avant has decent height and a nice, solid build. He has a sturdy and muscular frame. His hands are elite. Passes stick to his hands and he rarely double clutches any passes. Avant shows great ability to snatch the ball out of the air and in a crowd. He is very reliable over the middle and isn't afraid of contact.. He is a move the chains type of receiver who makes a lot of catches on third down. He doesn't have great pure speed or explosiveness though. He hasn't shown himself to be much of a deep threat, but he understands the game well and gets open. In his route running, he shows good quickness in his breaks. What Avant also has is great football savvy. He runs his routes past the first down markers and is cogniscent of the sidelines and the back of the end zones. After the catch, he has shown some nimbleness, but this isn't his strong suit. In the running game, Avant is a strong and willing blocker. He gets good position and leverage and blocks until the whistle. Off the field and in the locker room, Avant is a strong presence and has great character. He is an unselfish, team first type of player.[/size]

Seems intriguing...seems like a reach for Belichick to take at #52 but If he slips to rd 3 and we havn't selected a WR perhaps he is the one. Has the most measurable quality for Belichick...great hands. I think a QB like Brady who is a great/hard short thrower could make a player like Avant rise a notch making him better. Sure hands and a QB who throws an extremely catchable ball are a great combo.

If Belichick goes RB / LB / Avant .... or ....LB / RB / Avant
Would you be happy with that...hypothetically of course?

Last edited:
Avant ran a very slow 40 time at the pro day workout and his stock will likely drop a little. I think that, with a couple years experience under his belt, Avant compares favorably to Givens, but isn't the player that Wayne is.

He should go Late Day 1, or even as low as Round 4 or 5 now after running 4.80 at his Pro Day. But I do like him as well and hope he falls to us at whatever pick we're willing to take him.

I'm convinced he was running hurt at his pro day. If he's there in round four, that would be a steal.

Why do you think he was hurt during his proday????

The only RB we would take at 21 would be Bush. We are NOT taking a RB in round 1......No way, no how. Where's the value? Not only that but I doubt we take a RB on day 1. Listen closely. This is a premium defensive draft! :rocker:

I thought Avant looked really good at the combine running the drills but, oh, those 40 times :eek: One thing's for sure, we'll be able to draft a big, relatively slow WR to replace Givens this year as there's a lot of them. Which one(s) will turn into starters, who knows. Avant, Baskett and Stovall are the ones who have grabbed my attention the most so far.

Feep_FLA said:
The only RB we would take at 21 would be Bush. We are NOT taking a RB in round 1......No way, no how. Where's the value? Not only that but I doubt we take a RB on day 1. Listen closely. This is a premium defensive draft! :rocker:

if all the teams treat the draft as a premium defensive draft, then all the value picks will come on offence

BelichickFan said:
I thought Avant looked really good at the combine running the drills but, oh, those 40 times :eek: One thing's for sure, we'll be able to draft a big, relatively slow WR to replace Givens this year as there's a lot of them. Which one(s) will turn into starters, who knows. Avant, Baskett and Stovall are the ones who have grabbed my attention the most so far.

Baskett and STovall should be about as fast as Givens. He wasn't anything special (Givens) IMO. He was physical though.

I don't know how fast Avant is. 4.80 doesn't sound right from what I've heard, but that's what he ran. Supposedly had a cast on his hand.

Avant went a long way to helping a 1st and 2nd year QB look credible the past two years. . .I like him a lot, but I'm biased.

He would be a good player. He'll run better when he gets the cast off and rescheduled another small workout to run when healthy. Hes got good charcter and a smart player(Bills getting attracted)

Another guy i'll throw in is Derek Hagan. Very productive at AZ. Has good hand although questioned at Senior Bowl. Hes reliable for most part and i would us to get a look at him

Hagan's caught quite a few balls at Arizona, but he dropped quite a bit also. Even if he ran a 4.3, those hands (or lack thereof) would scare me.

Mike Hass is no speed demon but he is faster than Avant. There is no one in the draft who gets open like Hass and no one comes close to his body control and hands.

If he ran sub 4.5 he'd be a first round pick, but bercause he is a 4.6 "possesion receiver " he will be available in the third. A major major bargain. Think Fred Biletnikoff, Wayne Chrebet, or thje Seatlle receiver who used to catch a zillion balls each year...

As Belichick says give me football players, not track athletes.

AzPatsFan said:
Mike Hass is no speed demon but he is faster than Avant. There is no one in the draft who gets open like Hass and no one comes close to his body control and hands.

If he ran sub 4.5 he'd be a first round pick, but bercause he is a 4.6 "possesion receiver " he will be available in the third. A major major bargain. Think Fred Biletnikoff, Wayne Chrebet, or thje Seatlle receiver who used to catch a zillion balls each year...

As Belichick says give me football players, not track athletes.
Well said, I'd be content with Steve Largent-like WR in the rotation. ;)

Box_O_Rocks said:
Well said, I'd be content with Steve Largent-like WR in the rotation. ;)

Danke Schoen. Steve Largent was indeed the name that I couldn't recall...

All to make the point that Hass knows how to go up, use his body to shield the catch, and fight for the ball, just like Randy Moss who is the best I ever saw in that maneuver. Of course he is not a big or as fast though, but same idea. He has the production that BB also talks about too. He caught lots of passes in college and won his namesake the Fred Biletnikoff award as the best collegiate receiver.

Take Hass in the third round late...

AzPatsFan said:
Danke Schoen. Steve Largent was indeed the name that I couldn't recall...

All to make the point that Hass knows how to go up, use his body to shield the catch, and fight for the ball, just like Randy Moss who is the best I ever saw in that maneuver. Of course he is not a big or as fast though, but same idea. He has the production that BB also talks about too. He caught lots of passes in college and won his namesake the Fred Biletnikoff award as the best collegiate receiver.

Take Hass in the third round late...
That would be too late as I read things, I don't know how my final board/draft targets will look, but I'll be looking hard at him with #52.

The trait I liked best was his blocking skills. Belichick will put the finishing touches on his more mobile line that has just about perfected the art of the screen pass.

A receiver that could enhance the screens with their downfiled blocking could be the extra skill that gets them selected by Belichick.

As a unit...we might have the best blocking offense since Belichick came here.

Ochmed Jones said:
Why do you think he was hurt during his proday????

Because his previous 40 time was 4.52, and then did a 4.8 at his pro-day. If he stumbled or something, he would have run it again, but by accepting a 4.8, it seems logical that something was hurting, and he figured that was as good as it was going to get that day.

I'm a tall, lanky, white guy that nobody would ever label "graceful" or "co-ordinated", but when I was that age, I used to break 4.7 routinely. I have a hard time believing that Avant is slower than I was.

Last edited:
I like Avant as a pick but who the heck is David Givens?!? :rocker:

The difference between a 4.52 and a 4.8 could be a million dollars or more. Hard to believe anyone capable of running a 4.52 would accept a 4.8.
If Avant does indeed run in teh 4.5 range, I think he just got very appealing to a lot of teams. That could boost him from the undrafted ranks (4.8) to the third or even the second round (considering the great intangibles.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back