PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jamie Collins!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds crazy but I wouldn't mind seeing him take snaps as a TE, especially in the red zone. He recorded the highest broad jump (41.5") at the combine.

Next Sunday will have to be his big moment if he wants to be a champ this year. If only we had Jamie Collins for last time we took on Peyton in the AFCCG. Needs to have a big game vs Julius Thomas.

Jamie Collins >>>>>>>>>>Eric Alexander

Clearly has push rushing skills but also unreal coverage skills. Now we can cover both a big WR and a receiving TE...you know, should we happen to face any teams like that....

Devin McCourty on Collins:

“He does everything. He’s one of those freakish athletes that can do what we do as defensive backs as a linebacker.”

Jamie Collins comes up big for Patriots in postseason debut - Sports - The Boston Globe

A 6'3" 250# "defensive back" who has produces pressure over half the time he rushes? If Collins can learn to do anything like that on a consistent basis ... wow.

I just want to reiterate a point I made concerning Collins previously.

It's #29 Robert Woods (sic Cordarelle Patterson) vs
#52 Jamie Collins LB
#83 Logan Ryan CB
#102 Josh Boyce WR
#229 Legarrete Blount (via trade)

4 players or 1 player?
I think you go for 4 players every time. Unless those 4 players turn out terrible, the depth helps your team more.

So basically the Patriots got a veritable BOUNTY from the Vikings by trading down out of #29.

Not only did we nab Collins, but we got a good rotation CB in Logan Ryan, a future prospect at WR in Boyce, and a WRECKING BALL of a RB in Blount.

Patterson is a promising young player, but I'll repeat what I said then, I'll take 4 for 1 everytime. Particularly the 4 that we got as a result of that trade!! 3 of them were solid contributors in our playoff win in the Divisional round!

Collins might be the key on sunday. Probably will cover thomas vs a more smarter and experienced QB. And since thomas didnt play in the nov and now we dont have gronk, how collins neutralizes thomas could go a long way in deciding the game.

Collins was a second round player because he really never played a single position for more then a year. He played QB in HS, safety when he first got to college, moved to LB, then his last year played DE. His combine stats, and his last year in college compared favorably to the third overall pick in the draft last year Dion Jordan.

Collins if he played for a bigger school, with his production in college and his athleticism could have gone anywhere in the top 15. Kids an athletic freak. Its rare Belichick has a chance to draft players like that, esp where we draft constantly.

Since he was drafted we heard how this was an overreach, but a freakish athlete.... it took a while for him to develop into his current role.

Compare to many teams who draft guys and they have to adapt to a role which they are not ready for and subsequently struggle... his snaps have increased and the results are positive.

This is one of the few times that I feel that the Pats have matched up favorably with a Peyton team, with all the moving parts away from the trenches we may be able to slow him down...

I am more concerned about the offense...

Since he was drafted we heard how this was an overreach, but a freakish athlete.... it took a while for him to develop into his current role.

Compare to many teams who draft guys and they have to adapt to a role which they are not ready for and subsequently struggle... his snaps have increased and the results are positive.

This is one of the few times that I feel that the Pats have matched up favorably with a Peyton team, with all the moving parts away from the trenches we may be able to slow him down...

I am more concerned about the offense...

Could the pats use collins in the redzone as a tightend?:eek:

What a coincidence that the Patriots put a healthy guy on IR for missing a meeting and just happened to have a guy like this ready to replace him.:rolleyes:

Hey, I get all my news from ESPN.

I think the pats have been grooming collins all year for this point. in the beginning of the year he looked lost at times and he finally worked himself into limited snaps a game towards the end of the season.

but it seems with solid coaching he is putting it all together just at the right point. guy played every single defensive snap.

NFL Run & Shootaround: Gods of Carnage - The Triangle Blog - Grantland

Matt Borcas: I don’t know if Jamie Collins is the future of defensive football as we know it, but he sure looked like it on Saturday night. . . . While the 6-foot-3, 250-pound rookie out of Southern Miss is nominally an outside linebacker, I imagine he could line up at any position on the field and perform adequately. That became abundantly clear on a third-and-goal from the 1-yard line when Andrew Luck audibled like a madman, ultimately tossing a fade to Coby Fleener. One problem: Instead of the 5-foot-10 Alfonzo Dennard or the 5-foot-11 Logan Ryan split out wide against Fleener, the relatively gigantic Collins was tasked with covering him, minimizing the mismatch that’s essential to the fade route’s success. Luck’s pass fell incomplete, forcing the Colts to settle for a field goal and maintaining the Patriots’ one-touchdown lead.

When Collins picked off Luck in the fourth quarter, Dan Dierdorf chided Luck for not respecting Collins’s “hip movement.” Of course, Luck’s ignorance was understandable enough, seeing as Collins barely played in the regular season, but I have a feeling Peyton Manning will be VERY respectful of Collins’s nimble hips in the AFC championship game, at which point we’ll have a better idea if Collins is truly the future of defensive football as we know it or just a more athletic version of Mike Vrabel. Regardless, he’s the best second-round defender the Patriots have drafted in ages, and that’s a group that includes the immortal Ras-I Dowling! WE ARE ALL WITNESSES.

If "A more athletic Mike Vrabel" is Collins' floor, I won't be complaining. :)

After his nice snag today, who else wants to see Collins line up at tight end? :)

OK, we know this guy can "rush the passer"......

......now, can he punt?

I don't think Jamie Collins has a fan nickname yet. Can I offer up this tweet about Collins as an early suggestion:

I like that. "The Manimal"!!!!!!!

Our front 7 next year could/will be; Collins, Mayo, Hightower, Jones, Ninkowich, Wilfork and Kelly/A Jones/Haegmen/other top FA or rookie.

That would be one of the top front 7's in the league. Along with an extremely good secondary in Ryan, Dennard, Talib, Gregory, McCourty (if we keep Talib).

This team will be scary good next year :eek:

I remember Kraft saying after the draft that if they had stayed at #29 they still would have drafted Collins (and Dobson next). I was a bit dubious at that claim, but it seems like they were real high on him, and he looks like a very good pick so far. The key will be consistency. I want to see more before I proclaim him a star in the making, but encouraging results so far.

He certainly isn't Shawn Crable;). Glad his coming out party was a blockbuster. Speed of Ware with coverage glimpses of Wagner. So far so good.

Ha! I remember arguing with someone about that exact comparison in the draft forum.

Our front 7 next year could/will be; Collins, Mayo, Hightower, Jones, Ninkowich, Wilfork and Kelly/A Jones/Haegmen/other top FA or rookie.

That would be one of the top front 7's in the league. Along with an extremely good secondary in Ryan, Dennard, Talib, Gregory, McCourty (if we keep Talib).

This team will be scary good next year :eek:

Don't forget about Armstead. He will be released like a kraken next year.

Not sure who "Haegmen" is. But I most certainly AM excited to see what Armand Armstead is going to be like in the middle of that D-line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes