PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jalen Ramsey: Gronk “Not Good”

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, Mina Kimes did an "analysis" on Gronk after's Ramsey's ramblings.. This is what she found:
Jalen Ramsey's Rob Gronkowski critique: Does CB have a point?

GRONK VS. SAFETIES/LINEBACKERS, 2016-17
Targets: 115
Receptions: 79
Receiving yards: 1,338
TD-INT: 9-0
Passer rating: 133.9

GRONK VS. CORNERBACKS, 2016-17
Targets: 24
Receptions: 11
Receiving yards: 192
TD-INT: 1-1
Passer rating: 70.1

Putting in the TD-Int Ratio and the Passer Rating are Red Herrings, IMHO, since they are affected by things that don't actually matter in the conversation (like Brady being sacked).

What she doesn't mention is the Yards per catch. Gronk vs. Safeties/LBs has a YPC of 16.93. Against CBs, his YPC is 17.45.

It is notable that Gronk only catches 45% against CBs compared to 68.5% against Safeties/LBs. But I feel that would go up if CBs covered him more..

So, Mina Kimes did an "analysis" on Gronk after's Ramsey's ramblings.. This is what she found:

Putting in the TD-Int Ratio and the Passer Rating are Red Herrings, IMHO, since they are affected by things that don't actually matter in the conversation (like Brady being sacked).

What she doesn't mention is the Yards per catch. Gronk vs. Safeties/LBs has a YPC of 16.93. Against CBs, his YPC is 17.45.

It is notable that Gronk only catches 45% against CBs compared to 68.5% against Safeties/LBs. But I feel that would go up if CBs covered him more..
Meanwhile, NFL HOFer Shannon Sharpe possessed a lifelong fear of blocks since he was a toddler; "won" two fake titles in Denver on a cheating team; got a legit one on a team of hoods; and suffers from a lifelong, incurable case of mental constipation combined with verbal diarrhea.

mina-kimes-1.jpg

THE NFL expert...2018. Tunes could train his parrot to squawk better fluff than this obsequious vacuum.

mina-kimes-1.jpg

THE NFL expert...2018. Tunes could train his parrot to squawk better fluff than this obsequious vacuum.

Mr Kerr, I've talked to former college and pro players that don't understand football. There are coaches in the NFL that are only there because of who they know/who their daddy is. The average NFL fan is dumb when it comes to knowledge of the game. You know this to be true as well as I.

So, if indeed Mika has no business being a football writer (I follow her on twitter but haven't read her articles), that just makes her like at least 95% of all the men I've ever met.

To those in the thread that mentioned how they were "just about done with this Ramsey guy" or something to that effect, thanks very much for the laugh as I try to picture what exactly the next steps are after you've decided that you are done with an athlete on a different team that you don't like. Ramsey is currently the best troll and best corner in the NFL.

Mr Kerr, I've talked to former college and pro players that don't understand football. There are coaches in the NFL that are only there because of who they know/who their daddy is. The average NFL fan is dumb when it comes to knowledge of the game. You know this to be true as well as I.

So, if indeed Mika has no business being a football writer (I follow her on twitter but haven't read her articles), that just makes her like at least 95% of all the men I've ever met.

sorry if my post came across as sexist. I'm too old to care about today's hysteria over sexual ettiquettes vis a vis the media. To me it's all wind in sails..and yes, I am devo. Jalen Ramsey is a supremely gifted physical athlete who is suffering markedly from narcissistic personality disorder. That he cannot concede the OBVIOUS is demonstration enough. That this ESPN twerpstress comes running to his defense with a vomitorium of specious stats only underscores her absolute lack of football knowledge. I'm not going to defend Gronk against her argument. Why? Because the argument doesn't actually exist.

sorry if my post came across as sexist. I'm too old to care about today's hysteria over sexual ettiquettes vis a vis the media. To me it's all wind in sails..and yes, I am devo. Jalen Ramsey is a supremely gifted physical athlete who is suffering markedly from narcissistic personality disorder. That he cannot concede the OBVIOUS is demonstration enough. That this ESPN twerpstress comes running to his defense with a vomitorium of specious stats only underscores her absolute lack of football knowledge. I'm not going to defend Gronk against her argument. Why? Because the argument doesn't actually exist.

I get where you're coming from. My guess is that she ran the numbers because it was some free and easy content and not much more. But I'm not her keeper, a big fan or here to talk for anyone else.

And i happened upon Devo at a festival a few years back, approaching with knowledge only of Whip It and their status as nerds. I was blown away, they were awesome.

When matched up on a CB he is generally running a deeper route so the lower completion rate is reflecting that. Not that it matters because he is a TE and he excels when covered by players who generally cover TEs. If you lined Julio Jones up as a Y TE and had him covered by safeties and linebackers I bet his results would be lower than against an outside CB.

mina-kimes-1.jpg

She looks like she just overheard someone say “Mexicans” in Starbucks and got offended.

Vomitorium? Joker, you just made my day.

I scrolled through one whole page, no one even mentioned this guy being a racist. It’s so painfully obvious he hates white people

The stats are flawed as hell. One the targets is an extremely small sample size. Two, what should be looked at is the snaps where he was covered on passing plays by one or the other.

Basically. These stats are evidence of nothing

Maybe she’s not so bad.

I thought her article wasn't too bad, since she specifically mentioned that defenses putting their #1 corner on Gronk opened up the offense for the rest of the skill players, and she talked to several Defensive coordinators who said this:

I then called two coaches who have specifically schemed to stop Gronk (multiple times) and asked them why this might be. The answer? When Gronk lines up outside, Brady and the Pats get an indicator of the defensive strategy. If a safety or linebacker is covering him, it's most likely man coverage. If it's a corner, the coverage is more likely to be zone -- and it's also likely that Brady's passing progression starts elsewhere, i.e., Gronk isn't his first read. This is a logical explanation for why the time to throw got longer and the results were less favorable. Think of it like this: When Gronk has been targeted against corners, it's been under more difficult circumstances.

Additionally, she mentioned that every TE receiving stat she looked at drops when they're covered by corners, but that it doesn't have any real bearing on the TEs talent or on the defensive success overall. Seemed reasonable to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes