PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jakobi Meyers ▣ Free Agency

Something the team could easily do. It costs a 2nd round pick & some cap space:

WR1 Deandre Hopkins (2nd round pick + restructure)
WR2 Jakobi Meyers (4 years 50 million)
WR3 Kendrick Bourne
WR4 Tyquan Thornton

Parker cut. Hopkins replaces him at X WR.

Meyers by all accounts is WR25-30 in the NFL (receptions, yards per game, metrics vs. man & zone, etc.). He had 6 TDs & 3 DPIs at the 1 yard line so he’s improved in the redzone.

Meyers’ career stats:

11.7 YPR
68.3% catch rate

The pats can’t draft a WR & managed to successfully develop one. He should be part of the solution if they can re-sign him at WR2 prices. It’s not his fault he was the #1 option the last two years.

I want no part of Parker, Bourne, Thornton & a day 2 rookie WR. That has another limited passing game written all over it.

WR1 Deandre Hopkins (2nd round pick + restructure)
WR2 Jakobi Meyers (4 years 50 million)
WR3 Kendrick Bourne
WR4 Tyquan Thornton
I like this. Was thinking the same about Parker as well :thumbsup:

I hate to think that the Pats would lose Meyers. He has done what was asked of him and more. He is consistent. He has a relationship with Jones.

WR's has not been a success for the Pats using the draft. The high end WR's in FA aren't a solution for the Pats because of age and Cap space.

It is going to be difficult to acquire a WR to help Jones.

Pats need WRs

Good luck Patriots with this issue.

We could be losing the best available, Jacoby Meyers.

Thanks Jacoby for your performance on the field for the Pats, without it they would be dead last.

Go Pats

Isn't Parker pretty cheap right now? Why not keep him through camp as someone will get injured?
Yes. $6.2 mil in the final year of his contract...

Yes, he could be cut and his entire salary would come off the cap. But his production says keep him and if he leaves after 2023 possibly get comp pick

Yes, he could be cut and his entire salary would come off the cap.
If that's the case then who's production would you rather have...Parker's or Hopkins'?

Last edited:
Even if they pick up a Hopkins type, they'd have him and Parker which in my estimation are redundant players and Kendrick Bourne, who can play inside, but is more of a seam/vertical/drive threat from that spot, not the guy who gets open and catches a six yard pass on third and five.

People severely underestimate Meyers, he has more receiving yards in his four seasons as a Patriot than Deion Branch did, and that's with Mac and Cam at QB for his three most productive seasons. I don't see why you need to get rid of him in order to improve at the position through the draft or a trade, just pay him, he provides continuity and is a proven player in this offense.

And if they structure it, so the out is 2 years 35-37M, who cares?

That might be the hometown discount.

How much did they give Agholor?

It will at least be money where I don't expect disappointment.

the problem is, its 75% likely that Parker will be the one getting hurt in camp...
Right, I was going to make a joke about that. But maybe he'd come back when someone else goes down. NFL is all about winning the war of attrition.

I think Meyers ends up in ATL. They currently only have Drake London as their only WR under contract and could certainly use some talent in that corps. Also, he’s from Georgia.

Last edited:
Any rumors of teams sniffing around Meyers?

The contract idea in this article is 68/4 40 million guaranteed.

This is what I've been mentioning. If the team can get Meyers 30-35M guaranteed with a team out after two years, that would be a good bridge until a real #1 is available, probably next year.

The length of the contract is irrelevant. It's guaranteed money and the cap hit after two years. It seems workable close enough.

Unless they pick up a Hopkins type, the WR room will be horrible without Meyers.

Horrible with Zay Flowers as a late 1st round pick to replace Meyers. Parker and Thornton in Y2. Plus Bourne. That is horrible?

This. I was going to say he’s not necessarily a number one (obviously) but he’s as good or better than Amendola, and certainly less injury prone.
Dude...

Whatever it takes - keep Meyers.
If you go look at some of the big-time catches he made last year, he's the #1 target on 3rd down. He is so underrated because he's not flashy, and he's only had 1 year ('21) as a legit chance to show out. What's better, a risk on a guy like Chark - who will cost more, and start all over with scheme, teambuilding and chemistry? It's the fool's errand way of NFL wanderlust these days. But rarely works out.
Also, will Meyers chose to make 2 million more /yr by going to a losing or chaotic franchise? Would he take $52M/4yr with Patriots, instead of $58M/4yr with the Bears or Flacons or Texans? I'd argue that he would - especially if he knew he'd be WR1.
This last season I watched Meyers instinctively drop to the ground with no one around him on the last play of a game the Patriots needed a score to stay in.

I think Meyers ends up in ATL. They currently only have Drake London as their only WR under contract and could certainly use some talent in that corps. Also, he’s from Georgia.
And if Meyers and London are your #1and 2 WR's you'll be considered very slow on the outsides which makes it somewhat easy for the Defense.

Horrible with Zay Flowers as a late 1st round pick to replace Meyers. Parker and Thornton in Y2. Plus Bourne. That is horrible?

Ok I should have said unless they find a legitimate #1 threat, instead of naming only Hopkins.

One reason for my mistake is I don't rate WR draftees highly for us in their first year. And who even knows what Thornton is? Bourne/Parker benefit from playmakers in front of them.

The whole room is worse without a receiver the other team needs to scheme around.

I wrote this in the general free agency thread, but it is probably more appropriate here:

I don't get Andrew Callahan. He says the Pats' big splash in free agency should be to retain Jakobi Meyers even if it costs $15-17 million a year. I just don't get it. Meyers is a good player, but he really isn't what O'Brien likes in a receiver. O'Brien wants receivers to get open quickly and get YAC. Under McDaniels, Meyers struggled with a lot of bread and butter Patriots routes especially rub routes. He was not good at bringing the defender to a spot quickly that they would be picked by another receiver or defender.

I don't mind bringing him back at like $12 million a year. But if he is the biggest free agent acquisition, this offseason is a failure.

I wrote this in the general free agency thread, but it is probably more appropriate here:

I don't get Andrew Callahan. He says the Pats' big splash in free agency should be to retain Jakobi Meyers even if it costs $15-17 million a year. I just don't get it. Meyers is a good player, but he really isn't what O'Brien likes in a receiver. O'Brien wants receivers to get open quickly and get YAC. Under McDaniels, Meyers struggled with a lot of bread and butter Patriots routes especially rub routes. He was not good at bringing the defender to a spot quickly that they would be picked by another receiver or defender.

I don't mind bringing him back at like $12 million a year. But if he is the biggest free agent acquisition, this offseason is a failure.
I am down with that and T Thornton making the second year jump plus a Day 1 or 2 Rookie WR in the wings. Some here think I hate Meyers not at $12Mill but at the ridiculous projected $15mill plus IF BB signs off on that I'm convinced he's lost it!

100 percent agree

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back